Bush wants to reduce 20% fuel consumption by 10ans.

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 30/01/07, 21:08

Targol wrote:[...] Only for marketing issues then, because the legislation and the limitations are model by model.

It is not because one of the cars in their range will be well below the max emissions of CO2 allowed that the entire range will be salable in Europe.

Moreover, it makes me think of a question: Are there any standards in place currently in Europe that prohibit the sale (or circulation) of vehicles beyond a certain threshold of CO2 km?
For your last question, it's no ...
But it's not impossible that it will happen someday ...
However, considering the type of cars produced by the Germans in particular, I think we will have to wait a long time ...

It therefore also responds to the second paragraph: there is no "limitation" of CO2 or maximum authorized for a vehicle.

Which brings us back to the first paragraph for which I think you're wrong.
The European Commission "asks" (but I do not know if there is a law for that?) That the whole range of vehicles sold by a manufacturer be on average below 140 gr CO2 / km. On the other hand, I do not know if it is weighted by the distribution of the sales or only on the models present in the catalog.

This is one of the reasons that pushed Benz to do classes A and B and to buy back Smart completely (models on which there is much less to do ...).
That's also why BMW did the MINI when they sold ROVER.
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 01/02/07, 09:28

Woodcutter wrote:Which brings us back to the first paragraph for which I think you're wrong.
The European Commission "asks" (but I do not know if there is a law for that?) That the whole range of vehicles sold by a manufacturer be on average below 140 gr CO2 / km. On the other hand, I do not know if it is weighted by the distribution of the sales or only on the models present in the catalog.

This is one of the reasons that pushed Benz to do classes A and B and to buy back Smart completely (models on which there is much less to do ...).
That's also why BMW did the MINI when they sold ROVER.

Ahhh, well I did not know all that. Thank you for these clarifications, Bucheron.
To answer your question to you ("but I don't know if there is a law for that?") The answer is necessarily no, otherwise, the Porsche or Ferrari brands would be banned from sale in Europe ....

Otherwise, I find this system completely lame. Indeed, apart from if it is weighted by the volume of sales, what would prevent a manufacturer from developing "pretext" models with very low emissions and a very expensive price, just to fall within these quotas?
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."