Wafer boiler, possible autonomy?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Wafer boiler, possible autonomy?

by izentrop » 21/01/23, 12:09

Christophe wrote:Have you seen some piles of manure? I would be surprised if there is still a lot of oxygen in the heart!
As long as the material is mixed with the straw, not much is needed.
Christophe wrote:I had heard that corn silage creates alcohol too...that's why cows love it!
It's compacted and covered with a tarp. Anaerobic fermentation is quickly stopped by the acidification of lactic acid bacteria. Part of the sugars transformed into alcohol can arrive. Above all, mold must be avoided.
Normal silages have minimal odor due to lactic acid. If acetic acid production is high, then the silage may smell vinegary. High ethanol content can cause silage to smell alcoholic.
https://extension.psu.edu/diagnostic-de ... 27ensilage.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 21/01/23, 13:15

Christophe wrote:Ben transforms 3 to 5 ha into a forest...but then you have to wait a bit...huh!

The idea is not really to plant a forest, but to see if it is possible to invest in a shredder to make something other than compost.

From there, I would see with what I can produce with the maintenance of hedges and orchards, including at the neighbors.
And if that's not enough, I still have former colleagues who make wood (purchase of standing cuts) from whom I could buy branches from felling in order to produce what I need (it's the advantage of a shredder mounted on an agricultural tractor, you can go directly to the forestry site to carry out the processing on site as you go)

For the moment the question is not to find material to grind, but to know if the purchase of a grinder can be an operation which will be used in the more or less long term, to produce usable fuel in a domestic boiler?

If not, then I don't really want to invest 3000 to 4000€ in equipment that will only be used in the end to make compost. Might as well sacrifice a little space to make a big pile of branches in a corner (on this account rather invest in a front fork, which would be much more useful to me for many other things)

If so, then the investment may be possible, even if the woodchip boiler only arrives in 10 years...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/01/23, 15:16

There is a difference between RCW and forest chips: the first comes exclusively from fresh branches less than 7 cm in diameter, while the woodchip (whose size is not fixed and depends on the characteristics of the heating equipment fed), it's more like pretty big scrap wood. This last point for a fairly simple reason to understand: it's with the bulk that it "spits", with twigs, you use up the sun and it is only possible occasionally to get rid of it. The drying of the chips is done in heaps, either in a shed or under a breathable tarpaulin and it is the bacteria that take care of the job (in about 3 weeks), with a little carbon. It is a very inexpensive and yet fully automatic process, because as soon as the humidity is no longer sufficient, the activity of the bacteria stops.
If you need advice for a grinder, I have some ideas on the subject...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 21/01/23, 15:43

Yes I would like some advice for the grinder, if only for information.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/01/23, 15:49

Forhorse wrote:Yes I would like some advice for the grinder, if only for information.

Find out "by both ends", because I think that an individual boiler with wood chips is not easy to operate.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/01/23, 17:33

A wafer boiler room requires quite a heavy infrastructure, indeed. The decision technically depends on the characteristics of the premises to be heated. If the volume to be heated is too small or/and the layout possibilities difficult, a log boiler could be a better option, although the cost of fuel is higher than that of woodchips. If we put aside these purely technical questions, it really boils down to a question of the relationship between investment and operating cost.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/01/23, 17:54

Ahmed wrote:it really comes down to a question of the relationship between investment and operating cost.

I can't completely agree, you also have to take into account the hassles.
There are enough testimonials on this site from people having problems with pellet boilers to be convinced (even if they are certainly not the majority), and yet pellets are a fairly well calibrated product.
Automatically handling solid products as inhomogeneous as woodchips is just a trap for trouble. Of course, in large boiler rooms with operating personnel present and trained, and well-adapted equipment, it is easier to manage.
It's just my opinion, I will never recommend an individual woodchip boiler (even to my worst enemy :D ).
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/01/23, 18:10

It's true that it's a bit of a gas plant (in the old sense of the term!) and that it's mainly aimed at those who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. I had a friend who was doing very well...
I'm not familiar with pellet boilers at all, but I assume it's mostly the ones that have problems showing up?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/01/23, 18:41

Ahmed wrote:I'm not familiar with pellet boilers at all, but I assume it's mostly the ones that have problems showing up?

Of course, that's what I meant when I wrote"even if they are certainly not the majority"
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/01/23, 18:57

My physio has a pellet boiler, which is about 10 years old, and no particular pb with, from what I understood, a single pure "pellet" failure.
(pb water radiator, but it remains as possible on any boiler).

I have a "boiler" wood stove so connecting it to the radiators is pleasant, it heats well, but requires a lot of presence handling to use it, I have to be there for this winter at already more than 30 cubic meters , and the gas boiler which supplements it, at night for example.

For a long time also at home, it is forbidden to "make fire outside".

In fact it's a bit normal, for "the neighbors", but on a very large plot, you don't bother many people....

As long as I had no neighbors, on the second half of my field, I did, I had no one before 2-300m.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock: