Heat recovery with salt!!

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
belladonna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Heat recovery with salt!!

by belladonna » 17/12/22, 15:26

Hello ,
several years ago I had read that a German recovered the heat stored in the summer and restored it in the winter with salt.
I can't find the article online.
do you have this process in your archives?
please
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heat recovery with salt!!

by Obamot » 18/12/22, 03:58

Apart from “augmented” geothermal energy, I don't really see it. And you don't need salt for that.

For the use of sodium, it is necessary to have high temperature, and the duration of storage in this thermal buffer is limited in time (just a few days).

Another (Swiss?)-German had had the idea of ​​a thermal balloon consisting of a perfectly insulated tank installed in the house itself. He could recover the heat all year round thanks to sensors installed on his roof, as soon as there was a little sunshine. The rest of the time, I imagine that a boiler took over. Yes, it works with very good prospects for energy savings (but you need a very well insulated house (ITE).
0 x
belladonna
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by belladonna » 18/12/22, 15:24

what I seem to remember, he had 10m3 of salt in his basement that he heated in the summer with thermal solar panels and that he humidified this salt to restore the heat in the winter!!!
but sometimes you find inaccurate things on the net
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/12/22, 16:26

We could do a calculation over time. Eg. Δ° temperature weighted on the heat dissipation, relative to the ambient temperature (or something...) but there's no mystery, without even fluctuating input, it wouldn't give much.

Inspired by the same principle, there was this Canadian project: http://www.dlsc.ca/borehole.htm

... but there were collectors on the roofs... and a small natural gas plant to compensate for the dips in solar gain.
... and the storage was not in the salt. The site ceased to be updated in 2019.

I believe much more in augmented geothermal energy with thermal phase shift (for the existing building stock). heating-insulation / storage-and-phase shift-geo-thermal-in-the-soil-t10470.html
For new buildings with a positive balance, there's no need, they produce more energy than they consume.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/22, 17:07

bellad wrote:what I seem to remember, he had 10m3 of salt in his basement that he heated in the summer with thermal solar panels and that he humidified this salt to restore the heat in the winter!!!
but sometimes you find inaccurate things on the net

Molten salts are interesting for storing high temperatures, if it is for a dwelling house and seasonal storage at low temperature, it is of less interest...

Unless we have tons of free salts...

Otherwise the best for inter-seasonal storage is still...water (with a little PCM if possible)...

See (among others):
solar-thermal/inter-seasonal-storage-of-solar-thermal-energy-t11366.html
solar-thermal / inter-seasonal-storage-of-solar-thermal-t14320.html

Do not hesitate to search: search.php
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/12/22, 17:13

One of the most advanced projects that I know of in “augmented geothermal energy” with thermal phase shift. There are lots of them but this one was serious, by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ)
(this time the project is finished, unfortunately only in German)
https://www.research-collection.ethz.ch ... sAllowed=y

I was talking about it here almost ten years ago: heating-insulation/geothermal-storage-and-phasing-in-the-soils-t10470-70.html
[the link is dead on the page and replaced by the one above]
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/12/22, 18:10

Christophe wrote:
Otherwise the best for inter-seasonal storage is still...water...

Yes, I don't really see what salt (if it is as I understand it NaCl sea salt) would bring as a benefit... except the fact of being able to be stored in bulk.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/22, 19:03

We are talking about phase change salts… in short…
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/12/22, 19:06

Christophe wrote:We are talking about phase change salts… in short…

There are phase change salts that change phase with the temperature obtained by solar thermal panels? Which?
0 x