Hydrogen is an indirect greenhouse gas (radicals) 200 times more powerful than CO2

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Remundo

Re: Hydrogen is an indirect greenhouse gas 200 times more powerful than CO2

by Remundo » 06/02/22, 16:27

interesting topic...

we are still lucky, H2 is reactive in the atmosphere to restore water, it would disrupt the formation of ozone in the upper atmosphere, it seems...

the factor 200 seems to me a sleeve effect therefore. A factor of 200 over a reduced time, to be balanced therefore. Because excess atmospheric CO2 lasts for thousands of years...

H2 has always been a big b@rdel to manufacture, transfer, store with catastrophic yields.

Even the best fuel cells have an efficiency of around 60%, which taking into account the upstream (obtaining, storage, transfer and losses) is not so brilliant...

for decades we have marveled in the media at H2+ 1/2 O2 -> H2O without taking a serious interest in the complete chain of the hydrogen sector.

I have written many times that the best storage of H2 is on carbon chains...
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 06/02/22, 16:30

sicetaitsimple wrote:i.e. with a GWP of 200 a CO2 equivalent of 60kg/MWh.

That is less than nuclear power, photovoltaics, wind power, coal, fuel oil.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/02/22, 16:59

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:

That coal or fuel oil, it is almost certain (with the reservations on the "200" and on the "1% leak".
Whether nuclear, PV or wind, you have it all wrong because to produce "low carbon" hydrogen you must first build a nuclear, PV or wind power plant to supply the hydrogen production plant! Knowing that the electricity to hydrogen conversion efficiency will be low in all cases.
Well, you lost a good opportunity not to talk bullshit, it can happen.....
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/22, 17:27

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:

No because it's a calculation on primary energy…if you want electricity, you need *2,5…
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/22, 17:29

Remundo wrote:I have written many times that the best storage of H2 is on carbon chains...

Not sure… there is also nitrogen as a serious candidate!
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/02/22, 17:54

The planned use of hydrogen does not correspond to a technical necessity, but an economic one. The injunction of fictitious capital can create illusions (this is the condition of its operation) only if it relies on a minimum of bearers of hope in tangible activities, even if they are of dubious utility (but usefulness is fortunately secondary!).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/02/22, 18:32

Ahmed wrote:The planned use of hydrogen does not correspond to a technical necessity, but an economic one. The injunction of fictitious capital can create illusions (this is the condition of its operation) only if it relies on a minimum of bearers of hope in tangible activities, even if they are of dubious utility (but usefulness is fortunately secondary!).

I assume you are talking about injection and not injunction, although .....
On the "bearers of hope", the simple fact of replacing the use of the H2 molecule where it is necessary (refining, production of fertilizers, etc.) by switching from methane reforming to electrolysis would still seem like progress to me (certainly no need to tell me it dictated by a tottering capitalism in search of all the opportunities to survive etc .. etc .. thank you in advance I am starting to know the song).
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 06/02/22, 18:40

This is not the orientation of this sector of this gas, at least in Europe, and the cost price would be dissuasive for massive uses... Moreover, the latter are not as visible as the propulsion of vehicles in urban areas.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/22, 19:04

Ahmed wrote:The planned use of hydrogen does not correspond to a technical necessity, but an economic one. The injunction of fictitious capital can create illusions (this is the condition of its operation) only if it relies on a minimum of bearers of hope in tangible activities, even if they are of dubious utility (but usefulness is fortunately secondary!).

The basis of progress is hope...what did you type this message on? A pin? I highly doubt it ! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/02/22, 19:07

Ahmed wrote:This is not the orientation of this sector of this gas, at least in Europe, and the cost price would be dissuasive for massive uses... Moreover, the latter are not as visible as the propulsion of vehicles in urban areas.

There are a few buses and a few pumps at H2 in Europe and a few taxis in Paris it seems to me (see about the car at H2)...

It remains a niche for the moment... but it is not the debate of THIS subject...
1 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."