The lazy man's orchard: get more than organic fruit without tiring

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The sloth's orchard: get more than ORGANIC fruit without getting tired

by Rajqawee » 29/06/21, 20:34

ABC2019 wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:Hop, I am going back to following an "idea" transmitted by a former farmer colleague: some birds feed on fruit ... when they are thirsty! It could therefore be interesting (and not expensive :D) to test to leave water points everywhere in the garden.

hello mosquitoes then ... or a pond with fish?

Otherwise, water points that quickly become "too full" and that prevents stagnant water for too long?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 29/06/21, 21:01

ABC2019 wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:Hop, I am going back to following an "idea" transmitted by a former farmer colleague: some birds feed on fruit ... when they are thirsty! It could therefore be interesting (and not expensive :D) to test to leave water points everywhere in the garden.

hello mosquitoes then ... or a pond with fish?

a bird drinker, it is maintained, it must be emptied otherwise every day at least every two three days at the most, so no risk of seeing mosquitoes proliferate, birds are like you, they like clean water, not a common mosquito culture broth

and indeed the birds attack the fruits, because they are thirsty, after between a water and a good fruit, it is a bit like with the children, as long as they have not tasted the syrup of grenadine : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 30/06/21, 08:46

in fact the only birds that pose a problem in the garden (at least here in an urbanized environment in a rural area) are blackbirds and starlings. they proliferate because:
- they find everything (shelter and food in abundance)
- do not really have any local predators which is probably not the case in nature ... and the one who could play this role (Man) has forbidden them!
in short, an animal which would have its place in one place, becomes a pest by overpopulation. it is the same principle as the "overgrazing", the invasive plants etc ... the destructive effects which result from it. I think that animals and plants should be classified as "harmful" not in absolute terms, as is the case, but in terms of places where their predators can no longer intervene. it could even be protected in some places and "hunted" in others.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 30/06/21, 09:22

It is quite possible, and we come back to the notion of "struggle", as for weeds or slugs in the vegetable garden.

Apart from taking out the heavy artillery (chemistry for slugs, Jean-Michel Jarre for blackbirds), there are few effective solutions.

Exnhi, are you in the "semi-urban" situation described by pi-r? Who would explain a lack of predators?
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 15/10/21, 10:18

Come on, I dig up!

I continue on the reflections concerning trees "with fruits", rather trees stems. I ask myself the question of the attempt to implant a citrus fruit. I made a little inquiries, and I think I am "a little limited" in terms of climate ... (I live in Saint-Gaudens) but I also have a southwest side of the house, I think well sheltered and which retains its heat until very late in the day.
There are some citrus fruits in the area, in some gardens. Not a lot, mind you. On the other hand, there are beautiful professional cultures of kiwis, they are not the same conditions, but it gives an idea of ​​the conditions!

Does anyone have any experiences of attempting citrus in sub-optimal climates?
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 18/10/21, 08:53

Talking about citrus is broad! We could say that it goes from sensitive to the slightest frost to the robust kumquat that does not flinch down to -18 or even -20 ° C. Afterwards, it is certain that one should not hope for a very "fatty" grapefruit in Chamonix but by concentrating on the numerous crosses with poncirus trifoliata ou Citrus ichangsis, one obtains interesting citrus fruits which hold for the most part at -10, -12 ° C.

Two examples that I was able to taste;

citrus fortunella 'Rafael', a tasty kumquat, -18 ° C, gives very good fruit.
Citrus unshiu 'Statsuma Okitsu', a very nice and productive tangerine, seedless, -12 ° C.

It is one of the fruit trees that I do not yet cultivate at home but which are on the program. A friend cultivates some of them on the side of Liège, Belgium, with success (it is at his place that I enjoy myself). There is also a Belgian nursery which produces it, Kwekerij de zoetewei. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship anything by post and only open to the public 2 days a year.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 18/10/21, 10:26

Miaos wrote:Talking about citrus is broad! We could say that it goes from sensitive to the slightest frost to the robust kumquat that does not flinch down to -18 or even -20 ° C. Afterwards, it is certain that one should not hope for a very "fatty" grapefruit in Chamonix but by concentrating on the numerous crosses with poncirus trifoliata ou Citrus ichangsis, one obtains interesting citrus fruits which hold for the most part at -10, -12 ° C.

Two examples that I was able to taste;

citrus fortunella 'Rafael', a tasty kumquat, -18 ° C, gives very good fruit.
Citrus unshiu 'Statsuma Okitsu', a very nice and productive tangerine, seedless, -12 ° C.

It is one of the fruit trees that I do not yet cultivate at home but which are on the program. A friend cultivates some of them on the side of Liège, Belgium, with success (it is at his place that I enjoy myself). There is also a Belgian nursery which produces it, Kwekerij de zoetewei. Unfortunately, it doesn't ship anything by post and only open to the public 2 days a year.

Thank you ! Very interesting this tangerine, it would probably suit me well! To see if it exists in a local nursery, otherwise it would seem that we find it in delivery on the internet ...
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 27/10/21, 12:30

Okay, so I chose to set up in the field:

-a fig tree, which a friend from Tarbes gave me (a rejection of his which gives very good results). It will also be used to shade the children's portico ...
-a hazelnut tree, bought in the store (local nursery), to have large-sized hazelnuts (it will also fulfill a screening function)
-kiwis (two females and one male), which I will drive in a hedge (on poles and wire), which will continue to break the view ... I told myself that it was still more useful than thuja ...
- a peach tree, unknown, that an acquaintance gave us as a gift of arrival on our new land
-I plan to buy a Citrus unshiu 'Statsuma Okitsu' on the previous advice, but going on vacation in 10 days, I will order it on my return (end of November therefore)
-the vines (one already present, which I cut, one bought for a little diversity) were planted on a south-western exposure, partly against the wall of the house, in pursuit of the vegetable garden. I will lead them, if possible, in "arch"

When setting up, just a hole to plant. I am thinking of reusing mulch from the plane tree (maintenance of green spaces at work) to do a large mulch around it, it should take a little while ...
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 29/10/21, 20:23

Nice program!

Kiwifruit is nicer than thuja, but when it comes to vigor, that's something else : Lol:
For my part, I rather cultivate kiwaïs, more resistant to my Ardennes climate, but it is very close in its development and those which are in "civilized" zone give me a hard time to keep them at a reasonable size. These animals are vigorous there when it feels good.

The fig tree, in your region, it must be easier than here. The choice of variety seems less essential to me. Taste the first figs and if you don't like it, there is still time to graft it to change the variety.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 02/11/21, 08:27

I just took the fig tree which is a rejection of the fig tree of a friend, whose figs are very very good :)

For the kiwis, I spoke with a local producer in the market, who told me that there was not too much concern in the area, except sometimes too much drought in the fall, so you have to water a little feet so as not to lose the flowers (he told me).

The mandarin tree will be an "experience". I will also probably add a plum tree, I think the climate lends itself well. Regarding apples, the surrounding fields are full of apple trees that nobody is responsible for harvesting, so during a bike ride with the children, we fill our backpacks with delicious gleaned apples. :)
0 x