The lazy man's orchard: get more than organic fruit without tiring

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: The sloth's orchard: get more than ORGANIC fruit without getting tired

by Biobomb » 07/06/21, 14:13

Rajqawee wrote:
The brambles, I will shift the hedge of the fence by a good 80cm

What does the regulation say in your village: minimum distance to respect from a land boundary?
Here it is 2 m if the plant exceeds 2 m, otherwise 50 cm.
-------> Source of many neighborhood conflicts
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 07/06/21, 14:15

Biobombe wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:
The brambles, I will shift the hedge of the fence by a good 80cm

What does the regulation say in your village: minimum distance to respect from a land boundary?
Here it is 2 m if the plant exceeds 2 m, otherwise 50 cm.
-------> Source of many neighborhood conflicts

Good question to which I do not have the answer! It seemed to me that it was the same all over France (2m / 2m). When I have the time I will give you a 3d view of the vis à vis and the places where I want to set up the hedge (and yes, I had planned to shift the fruit trees to respect the 2m).
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 07/06/21, 14:16

Rajqawee wrote:Thank you, but for the defensive side, my wife being a maternal assistant, I may limit the use of too violent thorny. :)

The wild brambles are as pungent as the blackthorns.
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 07/06/21, 16:07

Rajqawee wrote:Thank you, but for the defensive side, my wife being a maternal assistant, I may limit the use of too violent thorny. :)

oh yes then the brambles are not great either, nor the shrubs with toxic berries;)

otherwise there are blackberries without thorns ...
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/06/21, 21:13

ABC2019 wrote:

oh yes then the brambles are not great either, nor the shrubs with toxic berries;)

yes, a mulberry tree without thorns, I have one, the taste is less pronounced, but for jam it is enough to concentrate in fruit, a foot on 4m2, 3 to 4kg of blackberries, just remember to water or the fruits will dry
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 09/06/21, 21:46

Moindreffor wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:

yes, a mulberry tree without thorns, I have one, the taste is less pronounced, but for jam it is enough to concentrate in fruit, a foot on 4m2, 3 to 4kg of blackberries, just remember to water or the fruits will dry

Mulberries need to be trained to a considerable height. They also ask for a winter pruning.
Nowadays these varieties have been improved: there are succulents.
Birds and wasps are used here as a priority.
The jam is a treat.
I have never watered mine, a silty clay soil well supplied with RFU.
But the plants suck quite a lot.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/06/21, 22:02

Biobombe wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:oh yes then the brambles are not great either, nor the shrubs with toxic berries;)

Mulberries need to be trained to a considerable height. They also ask for a winter pruning.
Nowadays these varieties have been improved: there are succulents.
Birds and wasps are used here as a priority.
The jam is a treat.
I have never watered mine, a silty clay soil well supplied with RFU.
But the plants suck quite a lot.

no training at home, they live their life, the branches grow bend naturally, I had suckering at the old site but since the displacement nothing, naturally if the RFU is good not worth watering it is obvious ,, my precision was to prevent that given the amount of foliage and fruit, a lot of evapotranspiration and therefore be careful of drying out
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 10/06/21, 09:05

Ok, I will clearly think about it because the blackberry interests me as much for the taste as the timing: fruit in August / September, that complements the rest well. Unless there are some already in the woods nearby, in which case I won't bother.

Another thought: here (foot of the Pyrenees), many colleagues tell me that citrus fruits do not take home. I find that surprising because in Corsica, one of the most citrus-producing places were in particular medium-altitude municipalities (800 / 1000m) whose climate I liken to ours. In addition, despite everything, I saw many citrus fruits well supplied in the region. So is it a question of grafting, with people buying fruit trees with rootstocks not adapted to the climate?
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 10/06/21, 09:26

Rajqawee wrote:Ok, I will clearly think about it because the blackberry interests me as much for the taste as the timing: fruit in August / September, that complements the rest well. Unless there are some already in the woods nearby, in which case I won't bother.

in the genre, hazelnuts are nice too ...
Personally, I have good temporal coverage with: strawberries, raspberries, cherry trees, currants, vine peaches, apple trees, plums (still young and not yet fruited), hazelnuts, blackberries, fig trees ... and there are chestnut trees in the woods around. Enough to make good and varied jams all year round!
+ an elderberry but it's a lot of work that stains for jelly not very tasty for my taste, but elderflower vinegar is nice and the tree is decorative.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/06/21, 11:21

ABC2019 wrote:elderberry but it's a lot of work that stains for jelly not very tasty to my taste
Ripe jellies - elderberry low in sugar, excellent. Blackberries, I have enough. I harvest the elderberry in a poplar grove. You have to find clusters whose fruits are all ripe at the same time. The picking window is fairly short, so don't miss it.
0 x