Solar thermal project in Brittany coupled with an 11 kW heat pump

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

Solar thermal project in Brittany coupled with an 11 kW heat pump

by PITMIX » 16/04/21, 13:50

Hello my wife owns a family house with her sister near Plovan Finistère Sud.
Last summer I replaced myself, the old Chappé fuel oil boiler with a Mitsubishi Eco duo 11kW heat pump with 200 liters DHW.
My project is to install 4 thermal solar panels (initially) coupled to the heating circuit in order to maintain around 25 to 30 ° C in the circuit during periods of vacancy in winter. The goal is not to heat but above all to keep frost-free. This winter the house was kept between 9 and 14 ° C with the heat pump, if I can get the same thing by using the heat as little as possible that would be wonderful.
I would like to know if you have any feedback on thermal sensors from China. I ordered 4 panels on Alibaba. They are $ 250 each.
https://m.alibaba.com/product/317103943 ... mming.html
I would like them to bring me as much satisfaction as my current sensors from Solar Future ordered 10 years ago.

I ordered a Sorel STDM solar regulator from FCS

https://france-chauffage-solaire.fr/reg ... s-124.html

I know this regulator on a Bricodépot solar DHW installation that I installed at my aunt's house in 2013, it suits me.
I also have a WES server for remote monitoring and also the ability to create custom regulation with it. Ditto I have already had experience with this system which suits it very well, at the same time simple, scalable and intuitive for me.
Last edited by PITMIX the 16 / 04 / 21, 14: 00, 1 edited once.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Solar thermal project in Brittany

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 16/04/21, 13:58

To order on Alibaba, it seems to me that you have to be professional. Or, possibly ask for a "sample".
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 16/04/21, 14:06

Yes that's correct I confirm, and even if it is possible to order a sample, the delivery price goes from free to extravagant. For the moment the price is still interesting compared to the same product available on Amazon, but I'm waiting to know what sauce will eat me through customs. I think I won't do a deal in the end. Delivery +4 sensors = 1950USD
On Amazon it is 650 € the sensor is 2600 € the 4.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 16/04/21, 15:11

PITMIX wrote:My project is to install 4 thermal solar panels (initially) coupled to the heating circuit in order to maintain around 25 to 30 ° c .....

Hello,
out of curiosity, since you have a heat pump already installed and you seem to be a handyman, why don't you rather consider installing photovoltaic panels that would at least partially supply your heat pump during the day for the "frost-free" function? winter and who would generate electricity for you the rest of the year?
Considering the budget you mention, it seems playable to me.
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 16/04/21, 17:25

Yes it is also planned but the energy production will be much lower than that of the thermal sensors. To produce 1kW peak you need 4 photovoltaic panels 250Wp, while in thermal with 4 panels I think I have 4 to 6 kWp.
The advantage of photovoltaics is that they produce all year round and that there is never really a surplus unlike thermal collectors in summer and out of use.
I did not have time to see if the heat pump has a specific circuit to add a solar thermal circuit. It would be really good because it will make my job easier.
I hope to receive the sensors by early May so that I can drop them off on site. The installation may take place next summer.
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 23/04/21, 11:37

My sensors have arrived at the port of Le Havre, I'm waiting for the rest of the program to know if we still have to wait for customs to pass or if the sensors will hit the road to my home.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 24/04/21, 18:39

if you send heat to radiators, there can be no overproduction of heat, and the regulator is useless.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 25/04/21, 11:02

You still have to stop the system when the panel is too cold, or the house too hot.

While watching the video of the panel assembly I had a DIY idea: we could put rotating gutters around each tube, to put them in the shade when it's hot.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 25/04/21, 11:32

1. Stop the system when the house is too hot.
At the risk of overheating the liquid in the solar circuit. This is how I was able to recover a solar panel which was blocked by the product which had precipitated following overheating.
2. For the cold panel a simple bulb thermostat € 20 is sufficient, if a circulator is required. Otherwise the thermosiphon does it all by itself.
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 27/04/21, 09:51

Rather than putting is rotating gutter, we can install electric curtains. In addition, they protect the panels from bad weather.
Simple blinds are sufficient.
At home when I go on vacation I install canisses on my panels. I just leave 1 / 10th of the tubes exposed to the light to have hot water when I return from vacation.
0 x