Opinion and test: I tested SALTO, the French VOD VS Netflix (Android application null)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: I tested SALTO, the French VOD on Netflix. Android app sucks !!

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/20, 19:04

Christophe wrote:...
From what I have read, geolocation has been a big brake on the development of Salto ... There are very boring and restrictive copyright laws in France obviously ...

In the world of 2020 why not think more about the French-speaking world than the national territory?

There yes, I confirm, the rights holders confiscated the public domain. Your first sentence is the answer to your question. If you think "Francophonie", you are not going to have the same rights to pay at all. This is why, except to be a border, we cannot have free by SAT or others, the TV channels of our Belgian or Swiss neighbors, even Quebecois (and we dare to speak to us of "Europe"!).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 19:36

If we omit Chinese and Hindu (and their variants), languages ​​which remain very local in the national sense French is still the second language on the Internet ... after English... and since Salto is above all an internet service ...
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/20, 21:32

Christophe wrote:If we omit Chinese and Hindu (and their variants), languages ​​which remain very local in the national sense French is still the second language on the Internet ... after English... and since Salto is above all an internet service ...

This is not the info I have. The most spoken languages ​​in the world, in total:
1 - English
2 - Mandarin
3 - Hindi
4 - Spanish
5 - French

and French also the third language "of business" it seems. But in fact the situation is much worse.
Because if we speak of native speakers, French is not even in the top 10. But when we talk about culture, film, TV series, natives prevail, especially for production.

With French-speaking Africa, for example, you would extend the field. But I doubt that you will find watchable series in France. I have a few French-speaking African TV channels by satellite (in "FTA"), it does not correspond at all to our quality requirements (even technical). North Africa, the technical quality is there, but I have never seen a series in French made in Morocco or Algeria. So yes, there may be a lot of francophones, but you won't be able to get a "francophonie" from series or TV, too much difference between countries, or non-native speakers.
Although sharing the language with the Ivorians, and this is not to criticize them because I really enjoyed my short stay there for work and precisely thanks to the common language, also the discussions including philosophy with local guy, but series and TV, no, it is not yet exchangeable, too many cultural differences, except always possible exceptions I have experienced it with a few films.
Countries which, if they do not share the language, on the other hand share a comparable level of development and a Western culture (even Korea is ultimately close to us), make possible the sharing of series and culture despite the barrier of language, and this is what gives the relative diversity that we find on Netflix and that we cannot find in Francophonie once out of the small group F / B / CH / Quebec.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 21:55

Exnihiloest wrote:This is not the info I have. The most spoken languages ​​in the world, in total:
1 - English
2 - Mandarin
3 - Hindi
4 - Spanish
5 - French

Fortunately, I said IF WE OMIT and ON THE INTERNET ...

Suddenly your ranking becomes the following:

1 - English
2 - Mandarin
3 - Hindi
4 - Spanish
2 - French

QED ...

Sometimes, it is better to be silent than to criticize in order to criticize ... and come across as a jerk ...
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 01/12/20, 09:49

http://www.nouvelobs.com/en-direct/a-ch ... ernet.html
Screenshot 2020-12-01 094150.png
Screenshot 2020-12-01 094150.png (242.49 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Sometimes, it is better to be silent than to criticize in order to criticize ... and come across as a jerk ...

Especially when in 2 clicks, you can see who is right.
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/12/20, 11:32

Okay I admit my bullshit, it was an old statistic that I had in mind from the 2000s ...

However, you will note that, according to the sources, rankings diverge sharply : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_ ... l'Internet

For the language of users, the main and most credible source on the percentage of people connected to the Internet by country is ITU9. From this authorized United Nations source, two sources deduce the percentages of people connected by language, with some differences:

According to InternetWorldStats, the top 10 languages ​​for logged in users are respectively: English, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Malay, Japanese, Russian, French and German. In addition, this source offers data by country or region on a variety of other parts of the Internet.

According to the latest study by the FUNREDES / MAAYA observatory of languages ​​and culture in the Internet, the top 10 languages ​​are, respectively: English, Chinese, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Russian, Hindi and Arabic. In addition, this study offers a more detailed set of indicators for the 140 languages ​​of more than 5 million speakers.

Anyway ... to come back to the subject, I just wanted to say that the French, therefore the Francophonie, was more representative on the internet than one might think ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: Review and test: I tested SALTO, the French VOD VS Netflix (Android app zero)

by Christophe » 02/12/20, 21:55

So I managed to convince people to test SALTO or not? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 02/12/20, 22:31

Christophe wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:This is not the info I have. The most spoken languages ​​in the world, in total:
1 - English
2 - Mandarin
3 - Hindi
4 - Spanish
5 - French

Fortunately, I said IF WE OMIT and ON THE INTERNET ...

Suddenly your ranking becomes the following:

1 - English
2 - Mandarin
3 - Hindi
4 - Spanish
2 - French

QED ...

On the one hand I did not criticize, on the other hand it happens to everyone to make mistakes without anyone taking you for an idiot, and in this case on a detail. To answer only on the erroneous point which was far from constituting the essential as we can see leaves (if you haven't understood it, I will post more within reach when I answer you), I think you have to want to look like an idiot yourself.

In addition there is no reason to omit countries. Eliminate the first one, while you're at it, and we'll be first! Cock-a-doodle Doo !

Christophe wrote:So I managed to convince people to test SALTO or not? : Mrgreen:

Ben is missed. Considering your other answer which abstracts from culture to limit itself to language, I cannot believe that your choice would be wise!
0 x
Christophe

Re: Review and test: I tested SALTO, the French VOD VS Netflix (Android app zero)

by Christophe » 03/12/20, 00:09

You are right
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/03/21, 19:17

Still no app for my 8 samsung S2018 ... : Cry: : Cry: : Cry:
0 x