Opinion and test: I tested SALTO, the French VOD VS Netflix (Android application null)

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: I tested SALTO, the French VOD on Netflix. Android app sucks !!

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/20, 11:48

The picture that Christophe de Salto paints does not really surprise me. Without being anti-French, I notice that almost nothing innovative comes out of French companies, at least in terms of web and media. I even have the impression that France is part of the Internet's third world.

Right now on Netflix I'm watching a Korean detective series, with a bit of fantasy. You just have to accept the original version, the subtitles being in French (by the way we discover a lot of amazing things about Koreans, including the aggressiveness of the hierarchy and submission to the leader but that's another story). I said to myself, well Koreans, the scenario is pretty well put together, we let ourselves be taken. And then patatras, I just learned that it is about a remake in a series of the American film "Frequency". The original idea was American. And this series was nevertheless very successful in Korea. Koreans, or the French, can also do screenplays, right? But would they be as good? With some exceptions, I don't think so. We see that American ideas are often taken up, their series style plagiarized, and I cannot believe that this is only the consequence of commercial power.
One country largely dominates: the United States. If money is undoubtedly playing, I see more the reason in a culture that everyone can appropriate, in innovation, talent and know-how, as well for the contents, as for the "containers" like Netflix vs. Salto. We are not at the level.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 12:48

Exnihiloest wrote:The picture that Christophe de Salto paints does not really surprise me. Without being anti-French, I notice that almost nothing innovative comes out of French companies, at least in terms of web and media. I even have the impression that France is part of the Internet's third world.

This was not the meaning of my post: I find Salto rather positive overall if we omit this filthy application coded with the feet !! This is really the only real criticism !!

The French neuneunauts who spit on Salto (I have seen odious things) because the Salto catalog is still quite small should stop reasoning in "MOI JE" "MOI J'AI DROIT" ... and learn a little open-mindedness and tolerance ... If they expected an equivalent of Netflix that has existed for 15 years, they are just idiots!

I don't think that in other countries there is a national self-flagellation mentality as it exists in France ...

There are wonderful things that are made in France ... too bad there is the mentality to break them! : Mrgreen:

Can I put you some screenshots of the programs available if you want?

Otherwise a general remark on VOD.

I never quite understood why in the world of VOD there was not really a public listing with a search engine ... that is to say for non-members!

Also, apart from Auvio, VOD applications do not warn of the deletion of their program or of new upcoming releases!

At least this is the case with Netflix and Amazon Video!

After that there are applications, like Upflix which offer this kind of service (addition and deletion) so it is that Netflix communicates on it ... but why don't they clearly do it?

: Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

AD 44 you can maybe answer it?

Exnihiloest wrote:We are not at the level.

It is sure that by giving his money to the ricans, it will not help French initiatives ... But it is not a question of equaling Netflix but of making a Franco-French alternative to VOD which defends French creation.

I haven't had Netflix for months, Salto suits me very well as an alternative ...

Salto will certainly produce original productions in some time ... provided that they exceed a critical break-even point ... And they will reach it if the French sign up ... and stop spitting on it ...

We defend Made In France so much ... Salto is one of them ...

You can't spit on Amazon and defend local and made in France buying while favoring Netflix over Salto! Oh yes...
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 30/11/20, 13:05

Hello again Christophe,

Answer to what ?

I simply gave information (it was not an opinion), salto does not produce (until now anyway ... maybe in the future), and you contested it by asserting with aplomb that it was false.

Well here it is.

I won't fight for hours to be right. It's not my style.

Ps: I don't especially want to criticize or praise salto or any other platform.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 13:26

a) Why are you taking it badly?

Yes Salto produces indirectly ... TF1, France TV therefore produce Salto benefits from it ... No?
It's everything I wanted to say.

And as far as original productions are concerned, no Salto does not produce and we will have to wait for the profitability of the thing ... to hope for it. It took over 10 years for Netflix to start producing ...

b) As you said that you were directly involved in VOD, I just wanted to get your opinion on that:

Also, apart from Auvio, VOD applications do not warn of the deletion of their program or of new upcoming releases!
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 30/11/20, 13:30

Take it badly ... I try not to.

Not particularly involved in vod no.

Let's say I'm working upstream. On the productions, finally the shootings what if you prefer.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 13:39

Ok there you go!

So you agree on the fact that to promote production made in France, it would be better to favor Salto over Netflix ... no?

Although Netflix already produces in France, for example the documentary on the Gregory affair ...
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 30/11/20, 14:15

Ah well it is sure that personally (in two ways), I would not complain about it.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/20, 14:40

Christophe wrote:Ok there you go!

So you agree on the fact that to promote production made in France, it would be better to favor Salto over Netflix ... no?

Especially not.
We can already see the ravages of the "cultural exception" consisting in supporting French cinema. Under the pretext of auteur cinema, directors embark on irrelevant experiments, it is mediocre film after mediocre film, they can afford it since the money does not come out of their pocket and that they have no need to worry if they do m ... rather than popular success.
If Salto is better than Netflix, it will prevail. From what you wrote, I especially remembered "we are far from the catalog of the 2 mastodons and a lot of programs are replays that we can see for free via other means", through which I understand that there aren't a lot of creations but a lot of old stuff we've seen on TV.

Netflix works well today because there is creation, and in addition, creation that comes from all countries. You have an opening on the world. I talked about a Korean series ("Signal"), I also watched an interesting Brazilian series ("3%", a lot of humanism, unthinkable in an American series), quite a few series from all over the world. Europe (and American of course). These series preserve the spirit of the culture of the country which makes them, even if they are carried out "in the American way", ie not gnangnan, not moralizing in the manner "the teacher" or "Josephine, angel guardian ", not old-fashioned like the" terroir "detective series, but with sometimes very subtle or disconcerting scenarios, especially in science fiction, and action that advances.
There are also things of little interest to my tastes, but overall we are doing well, and I don't see myself going back to a Franco-French confinement, cheesy series, or aping the style. American without reaching their ankles. There may also be good French series, but I did not detect them by zapping on TNT and on the Canal + or sat side, I am not a subscriber. Why should I risk Salto?
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/20, 15:02

izentrop wrote:
Forhorse wrote:
Christophe wrote:You must also be located in France ... otherwise it will block!
Fortunately NordVPN is here with its 95% discount for 10 years ... : Mrgreen:
Have you seen you : Lol: :?: https://nordvpn.com/fr/pricing/

For a free VPN that is still open (but closing), a properly sized bandwidth, and provided you take a few risks, there is the "Hola" extension for browsers.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/20, 15:34

There is also the one integrated into Opera ... but it is continental ... not national ...

In other words you can choose for example Europe or Asia but not the country ...

From what I have read, geolocation has been a big brake on the development of Salto ... There are very boring and restrictive copyright laws in France obviously ...

In the world of 2020 why not think more about the French-speaking world than the national territory?
0 x