3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological breakthrough, but beware of the risks!

Forum dedicated to 3D printing: 3D printing technologies (fdm, lcd, sla ...), hardware, software, slicers, settings, use, database, model exchange, tips and tricks, optimization, exchange of experiences...
Flytox

Re: 3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological advance, but beware of the risks!

by Flytox » 18/10/20, 12:27

Petrus wrote:Is the wire transparent on the spool?
If so, it may have taken moisture and bubbles form during printing.

With the resin, to avoid the formation of bubbles which make everything whitish, during the polymerization the object is placed in a "vacuum" chamber.
The bubbles swell reach the surface and burst. The end result is excellent. Chai not if a 3D printer will accept to work in "depression" by means of making it an enclosure.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

Re: 3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological advance, but beware of the risks!

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 15:03

I just made my first prints in PLA loaded with carbon fibers ...

Some people claim that they are volatile during printing so that you have to ventilate the room well (I would have a hard time putting the tronxy at the back of my living room) ... I don't really believe it.

But effectively with the carbon filament:

- there are some fibers in the "waste" filament
- the smell of VOCs is stronger than with the other PLA yarns that I have used recently (same brand)

Care should be taken when actually reworking these pieces (like Dremel).

Otherwise the 0.4 and 0.5 mm nozzles end up clogging sooner or later on my printer (tests over the entire temperature range: from 190 to 250 ° C) ... so I have been printing at 0.6 since yesterday and there it seems to go. The parts will be less precise and thicker (wall at 2 * 0.6 = 1.2 instead of 2 * 0.4 = 0.8) but the finish is generally not what is required of a carbon print which must above all be resistant.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 15:05

If so, it may have taken in moisture and bubbles formed during printing.

Yes it was transparent and new ... and it happened from the first prints ... I don't think it took the humidity (delivered under vacuum with a bag of silicate) ... maybe I have printed too hot?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 15:08

Flytox wrote:

With the resin, to avoid the formation of bubbles which make everything whitish, during the polymerization the object is placed in a "vacuum" chamber.
The bubbles swell reach the surface and burst. The end result is excellent. Chai not if a 3D printer will accept to work in "depression" by means of making it an enclosure.

I have never had a bubble problem on my 2 resins.

What kind of 3D printer are you talking about? What level of depression?

I don't think mainstream models can work with a high level of vacuum ... some have an activated carbon filter for odors ... but this must create a level of depression of the order of the second : Cheesy:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 18/10/20, 19:49

Christophe wrote:
Flytox wrote:

I have never had a bubble problem on my 2 resins.

What kind of 3D printer are you talking about? What level of depression?

I don't think mainstream models can work with a high level of vacuum ... some have an activated carbon filter for odors ... but this must create a level of depression of the order of the second : Cheesy:

I was talking about using resin in general and not a specific 3D printer. But creating an enclosure in depression, the volume of your 3D printer seems rather complicated / expensive. We used a boiboite the size / shape of a yogurt maker : Mrgreen: connected to a vacuum pump, with a vacuum of 0.4 to 0.6 bar? Polymerization was completed before the depression was greater. This debuffs especially in the first seconds of depression.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 20:22

Ah ok I understand better ... in fact no : Cheesy: if you have some photos left i want to see that?
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 18/10/20, 22:43

Christophe wrote:Yes it was transparent and new ... and it happened from the first prints ... I don't think it took the humidity (delivered under vacuum with a bag of silicate) ... maybe I have printed too hot?

So yes, it is certainly the extruder set too hot.
To find the right temperature, I print a small solid 10mm cube and try to cut it in the direction of the layers with wire cutters, if the part breaks sharply between two layers the extruder is set too cold and the layers do not merge properly. I then increase the temperature until the room resists.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 18/10/20, 23:35

Christophe wrote:Ah ok I understand better ... in fact no : Cheesy: if you have some photos left i want to see that?

No photos (forbidden) in the factory. The idea was to place your 3D printer in a box of this style and plugged into a vacuum pump:

hinged-lid-vacuum-chamber.jpg
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 23:50

Petrus wrote:
Christophe wrote:Yes it was transparent and new ... and it happened from the first prints ... I don't think it took the humidity (delivered under vacuum with a bag of silicate) ... maybe I have printed too hot?

So yes, it is certainly the extruder set too hot.
To find the right temperature, I print a small solid 10mm cube and try to cut it in the direction of the layers with wire cutters, if the part breaks sharply between two layers the extruder is set too cold and the layers do not merge properly. I then increase the temperature until the room resists.

Okay, but what does this have to do with transparency? So we can't have resistance and transparency? : Cheesy:

I just ordered 4 spools from 4 different brands again for testing.

Which brands would you recommend for which type of yarn? You seem to have more experience than me ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/10/20, 23:58

Flytox wrote:
Christophe wrote:Ah ok I understand better ... in fact no : Cheesy: if you have some photos left i want to see that?

No photos (forbidden) in the factory. The idea was to place your 3D printer in a box of this style and plugged into a vacuum pump

Yes that I understood (useless with 3D printers I think ... but it would be to test to see) but it was your boiboite yogurt maker that intrigued me ...

Are you talking about epoxy or polyester resin?
0 x