Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

by Ahmed » 21/05/20, 17:22

City and food self-sufficiency is an insoluble equation, by definition.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 21/05/20, 17:25

I just walked through the start
this forest garden contains only fruit trees, so speak of forest !!!
and 1800 m2 vegetable garden for 2 people, you amaze me that they don't consume everything
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 21/05/20, 17:37

Moindreffor wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:It is relatively large (1800 m2), and produces more than they need (I can't say how many people they could feed).

as we can say more than what they need without knowing how much it represents of person, we are known 1ha for a self-sufficiency for a family of 4 people, and there 1 800 m2 so we are of course a partial contribution, and which therefore absolutely not generalizable

I did not make any calculations. I just know they have too much for both (because they say so), but I don't know if they have a little too much or too much.
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 21/05/20, 17:45

sicetaitsimple wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:Yes, that is the main obstacle for me. But common vegetables today like tomatoes and potatoes were not adopted instantly in our crops. And then there is undoubtedly the possibility of better domesticating certain species (of creating better varieties for them). [

Yes, but the potato nourishes it. And the tomato is often excellent on its own, at least in season, and it is done in all ways (cooked, raw, in sauce, as an accompaniment, ...).
The young shoots, young leaves, or wild berries of various plants, it nourishes rather little in general and it is rarely excellent when you make it your main course. It's different in a mix where it can actually bring a little originality and "peps".

Note that the potato was, before it became popular, seen as "bland, flatulent, indigestible, debilitating and unhealthy, and only good for fattening pigs."
Still, so as not to talk too much in a vacuum, we should list the vegetables that could not grow under partial shade.
In addition, in the new vegetables mentioned in the initial video, there are also tubers.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/05/20, 11:01

VetusLignum wrote:Still, so as not to talk too much in a vacuum, we should list the vegetables that could not grow under partial shade.
In addition, in the new vegetables mentioned in the initial video, there are also tubers.

You want to believe, it's your choice, everyone is free to believe, but don't be offended that we don't follow you
like any believer you will make us pages of arguments, and refute one by one ours, so ...
0 x
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 08/07/20, 10:55

A nice video:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/20, 11:09

VetusLignum wrote:A nice video:

from the first images, we see that what the term "forest" is a bit abusive
so like passive thermal windows, a catchy name, it helps, the thing looks nice, I do not criticize, I would like to be able to watch such a video in 5, 10 or 15 years when the trees have grown again and that we will approach a real forest
after 4000m2 not within everyone's reach, but many would like me first, especially in this configuration
0 x
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 08/07/20, 12:18

Moindreffor wrote:from the first images, we see that what the term "forest" is a bit abusive
so like passive thermal windows, a catchy name, it helps, the thing looks nice, I do not criticize, I would like to be able to watch such a video in 5, 10 or 15 years when the trees have grown again and that we will approach a real forest
after 4000m2 not within everyone's reach, but many would like me first, especially in this configuration

Yes, the term "forest" is abusive, we should rather say "orchard"; trees are not intended to grow indefinitely and to close the cover.
The main interest of this kind of videos, in my opinion, is to see what new plants we could grow, and add to our diet.
Next comes the question of how to cultivate them, arrange them, manage cohabitation with our other productions.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/20, 12:49

VetusLignum wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:from the first images, we see that what the term "forest" is a bit abusive

Yes, the term "forest" is abusive, we should rather say "orchard"; trees are not intended to grow indefinitely and to close the cover.
The main interest of this kind of videos, in my opinion, is to see what new plants we could grow, and add to our diet.
Next comes the question of how to cultivate them, arrange them, manage cohabitation with our other productions.

these are great experiments, and great sources of inspiration, the problem is: should we see this as a whole or can we just see it as an assembly of blocks, in the second case we can possibly recreate one of these blocks with us, otherwise, we can just dream ...
0 x
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 08/07/20, 13:19

Moindreffor wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:

these are great experiments, and great sources of inspiration, the problem is: should we see this as a whole or can we just see it as an assembly of blocks, in the second case we can possibly recreate one of these blocks with us, otherwise, we can just dream ...

In any case, it is up to everyone to glean ideas in order to create their own universe, adapted to their context (climate, soil, surface, etc.) and their desires.
And you are right to use the word "dream"; because, beyond the practical aspects, the importance of the dream, of a kind of candid wonder at one's garden, is one of the messages conveyed by this video.
1 x