The vegetable garden without getting tired

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The vegetable garden without getting tired

by Did67 » 15/10/20, 18:25

This is great form!
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 16/10/20, 14:40

Did67 wrote:bring native sulfur (or "flowering sulfur"). Brassicaceae have a great need for S, which is not always available in the soil. Rather than an expensive analysis, a test (the S can be found in granules on the internet, from the small sachet to the 25 kg bag! The 25 kg if this is confirmed.]

Here is what I read:
"The flower of sulfur has been a product that has been used for hundreds of years. It is presented as one of the best natural solutions in the fight against fungi and certain pests affecting plants ".
So to put sparingly at the foot of the cabbages only so as not to destroy the neighboring mycorrhizae I suppose.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 16/10/20, 15:08

Brassicaceae do not mychorize, anyway.
I think the deficiency problem suffers from it is more general. There have been decades when, via precipitation, atmospheric inputs were largely sufficient (emissions from vehicles burning low sulfur fuels, non-polluted thermal power stations, oil or coal heating, etc.).
Today this is no longer the case, hence the need to take a closer look, especially for crops that demand it.

The "phytosanitary" aspect in spraying is in my opinion a different subject.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/10/20, 19:53

stephgouv wrote:
Did67 wrote:bring native sulfur (or "flowering sulfur"). Brassicaceae have a great need for S, which is not always available in the soil. Rather than an expensive analysis, a test (the S can be found in granules on the internet, from the small sachet to the 25 kg bag! The 25 kg if this is confirmed.]

Here is what I read:
"The flower of sulfur has been a product that has been used for hundreds of years. It is presented as one of the best natural solutions in the fight against fungi and certain pests affecting plants ".
So to put sparingly at the foot of the cabbages only so as not to destroy the neighboring mycorrhizae I suppose.

No.

Sulfur is a fungicide, yes. . Except that unlike copper, it oxidizes very quickly (in a few days). Sulphites also [SO3-- are fungicides (see wine stabilization). The source of S in soil is sulfate ions [SO4--, therefore useful. Of course, at appropriate levels (otherwise, the acidity threatens). We are here in the hypothesis that the Brassicaceae which have great needs do not find enough ...
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 19/10/20, 07:36

Hence the adage: you have to "suffer" to be beautiful! I'll save it for the cabbage!
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 10/11/20, 13:09

Hello everyone, here are the latest news from my vegetable garden:
The first frosts were very present in the greenhouse on November 05th and 06th.
As a result, all the cherry tomatoes that were left on the stalk are "cooked".
20201105_054549.jpg
gla gla

20201106_074818.jpg
First jelly

I took advantage of free MO to cover the vegetable garden.
Well at least where there are no remains of cultures (which I leave in place)
20201108_155039.jpg
Blanket of fallen leaves

Looking more closely at the vegetables left on the stalk, I noticed a few aphids on 1 Brussels sprout plant.
20201108_154706.jpg
Aphids on Brussels sprouts

I then hastened to harvest the largest ones from all the plants as well as the only 2-3 carrots from the whole vegetable garden ...
20201108_155820.jpg
Brussels sprouts harvest

I also harvested the last beets and cut a red cabbage.
20201108_155410.jpg
The last beets

To follow the evolution of aphids on other plants or not.
2 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 30/11/20, 14:34

-8 ° C this morning! And first snowflakes announced tonight or tomorrow.

And to think that there are people who are breaking their heads to sow lamb's lettuce, while at home it grows on its own ...
Like what, letting a few vegetables go to seeds is good.

It remains to plan the harvests now
20201128_155924.jpg
Chews
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/11/20, 15:18

At home, - 7,5 ° C.

Planning ??? An Opinel! And a container. And I cut the bigger ones, to make room for the smaller ones ...

PS: A priori, it's lamb's lettuce "with large seeds" (which is also the one with the biggest leaves!). Of Italian origin, they are less resistant than the "shells" or the "Cambrai greens" ... But at - 8 °, it is still comfortable ...
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 30/11/20, 15:51

When I talk about planning, I mean: I will only do that.
When I took the photo yesterday, I cut one out and I couldn't help eating it ... It's a bit of a downside when I walk in the vegetable garden. A bit like you with your raspberries (not all of it goes to the house).
And again in 35m2 I quickly went around otherwise, I can't imagine myself in 900m2: I will arrive at the table already sated lol
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 30/11/20, 17:13

stephgouv wrote:When I took the photo yesterday, I cut one out and I couldn't help eating it ... It's a bit of a downside when I walk in the vegetable garden.

The same for me, it's too good, I've always liked lamb's lettuce, but then grown in hay, it's my little treat at the moment, where I am a lot in the vegetable garden. Besides, there are I don't know how many, it's huge, last year I sowed a whole bunch in different places, but I didn't have that much. I don't remember what kind, but it's little leaf lettuce. Next year I will try the others.
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand