Hay vs live kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Hay vegetable garden vs living canopy

by Paul72 » 02/08/20, 17:38

Did67 wrote:Your "greens" are very dark! Urine doping ???

An anti-doping control is essential !!!!!!!!!! [humor]

Be careful not to create for yourself the same problems as those experienced by conventional agriculture with ammonitrates: too much sensitivity to diseases, delays in fruiting or ... nitrate leaching (well, those are not you who suffered). [serious]

But it is quite impressive!

But no doping ... There were plenty of nettles where the melons and peppers are, maybe that's a clue. Also the earth was very rich in humus (and hay won't help lol). Fortunately, they are greedy plants, it will help "purge" the soil of any excess. Few problems this year, much less than in previous years in terms of diseases and parasites ... Except crucifers, but I perhaps want a beginning of a solution (although not very natural indeed).
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 02/08/20, 17:50

A very green zucchini stalk too. No powdery mildew on any plant, and yet all dandelions are "white" even in the middle of the zucchini plants.
IMG_20200802_113445_compress34.jpg
IMG_20200802_113445_compress34.jpg (453.53 KB) Viewed 3294 times
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/08/20, 18:05

I have just shot a sequence for a video to appear in which I show that powdery mildew is quite natural on "wild" plants, while next to it, well-trafficked vegetables are unharmed ... I, year after year, it is the savages who are affected first. The man-made "selection" is not that bad: in general it has increased resistance! He chose well! [| to select is nothing other than to choose according to what one wants!]

Here, at home, a "burnt" borage touches a cucurbitaceae. Intact, she! No, we must not "empty" and clean everything, burn everything!

It struck me that powdery mildew comes when seed formation begins; the fruits are formed ...

My hypothesis: the plant then stops "protecting" its leaves, which it no longer needs. She is in the process of completing the transfer of biomass to her seeds. Because "fighting" (by producing complex defense molecules) is expensive! These molecules must be produced, which consumes useful elements and above all, it is necessary to carry out biochemical synthesis reactions. It takes energy! The plant drops ...

And so I think it is no longer very useful to struggle ...

[Although young plants can be affected; there the question arises; nothing is ever easy!]
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/08/20, 18:05

Paul72 wrote:A very green zucchini stalk too. No powdery mildew on any plant, and yet all dandelions are "white" even in the middle of the zucchini plants.

Superb, all that! You should write a book !!!!
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 02/08/20, 19:56

Did67 wrote:
Paul72 wrote:A very green zucchini stalk too. No powdery mildew on any plant, and yet all dandelions are "white" even in the middle of the zucchini plants.

Superb, all that! You should write a book !!!!

Ha-ha!! : Lol:
It shouldn't become a fashion, and for the moment I don't feel enough perspective for that (still plenty of things to be refined and to be discovered). Maybe in 10 years .... : Mrgreen:
In my opinion I would be a little more credible for making videos of the garden, but the connection does not allow me to do so until we have fiber (in the coming months in principle).
0 x
youskar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by youskar » 08/08/20, 14:39

Hello Paul 72, the transparent tarpaulin for aesthetics or an agronomic reason?
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 08/08/20, 18:07

Youskar wrote:Hello Paul 72, the transparent tarpaulin for aesthetics or an agronomic reason?

For 'melons and other heat-hungry soil, it heats more than the black tarp. It is recycled greenhouse horticultural tarpaulin, thick and anti UV. The difficulty is to have a covering vegetation very quickly to avoid ... Summer overheating !! Which is easy with melons, watermelons, cucumbers, loofah etc ...
Too hot for squash, zucchini, pumpkins which also require more water.
1 x
Energy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Energy » 10/08/20, 11:16

Hello, the horticultural cow you are talking about, can we find it in the garden center? thank you
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 10/08/20, 11:32

energy wrote:Hello, the horticultural cow you are talking about, can we find it in the garden center? thank you

For information in 200 microns I find it at the GammVert coop in my village and it is 9 € for 6m2 (1m x 6m) and it exceeds a little more than 10 € (from memory) for 9m2 (1m x 9m).

So you have a reference price.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 10/08/20, 16:43

It must be in the two euros per m2 at the local coop, yellow tarpaulin. It lasts for years.

Today, I lifted the veil of forcing, result after 18 days, radishes of ... 18 days, start to swell !! Excellent development of most plants, minus black radishes which were stale (but no need to thin out). Indian mustards taste fantastic, like jarred mustard, great for small mesclun salads. Besides, I decided to use all the thinned seedlings in salads and pesto. I am stupid not to have thought of this before !! Cabbage, radish, arugula, mustard, everything is good at this stage!
1 x