Hay vs live kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Hay vegetable garden vs living canopy

by alkaline » 20/07/20, 13:50

Paul72 wrote:I return to the flea beetles, I do not have much possibility of showering, except with a pressure sprayer. Even if I think to put once at least a sprinkler to recharge the useful reserve on a large area (still no rain). They don't like it, it seems to me. By the way, do they have predators?

Otherwise an anti-insect veil. ..but it's already too late.
0 x
it depends
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 23/07/20, 08:47

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Paul72 wrote:the most beautiful plants are those from "forgotten" potatoes : Mrgreen:

It's not false
But are they the most productive?
Although being free in purchase and labor, they have a big advantage in this area
And will they be "smart" enough not to go out before the last frost: at home no doubt, here is the wish that can be formulated each year.

This year, a part not harvested last year froze because it was released on bare ground. Anything that was under thick mulch did not freeze (because it came out later). In the event of a late frost, it would suffice for me to stump with the hay to insulate from the cold. But here we almost never have a strong frost after March, it remains close to 0 degrees
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Did67

by Did67 » 23/07/20, 09:31

At home, too, they were released too early. I had made a "test": two rows "planted" [slightly buried in this case, then hay].

result:

a) a lot of losses due to my favorite coyotes

b) some grilled because they left too early (they are not in the rhythm; a pdt germinates when the temperature of the ground exceeds about 10 °; February and March are hot, the ground warms up; they get frozen because it is a sensitive nightshade!) [And the story "they learn" - I'll let you believe it; they will be dead before they understand!]
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/07/20, 01:12

Did67 wrote:And the story "they learn" - I'll let you believe it; they will be dead before they understand!

0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 24/07/20, 14:03

Yesterday I took the risk of making a tour of radishes (summer, autumn, winter), mustards and kale-type cabbage (yes, I am a masochist). More salads for fall and winter to transplant. All after clearing 8m2 of hay, moistening the soil well (one area was dry), and after sowing I covered the entire area with a forcing veil. It won't do anything against the slugs (but there aren't many) or the mole (which passed an hour after watering) but I'm hopeful it keeps the flea beetles from coming, and that should limit solar radiation and increase hygrometry. And if there are any problems I can reseed in 1 month or less.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/07/20, 19:04

In a "north-eastern" climate, we are approaching the last limits (and I'm late again!) For sowing "winter vegetables", with a few close (lamb's lettuce, winter turnips, perhaps. be a few winter radishes which must still grow in winter, on sunny days and in not too cold soil).

Winter vegetables are vegetables from the end of summer, which grow until winter and then withstand the cold, without flinching ...

Their name is misleading!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/07/20, 09:53

Paul72 wrote:Yesterday I took the risk of making a tour of radishes (summer, autumn, winter), mustards and kale-type cabbage (yes, I am a masochist). More salads for fall and winter to transplant. All after clearing 8m2 of hay, moistening the soil well (one area was dry), and after sowing I covered the entire area with a forcing veil. It won't do anything against the slugs (but there aren't many) or the mole (which passed an hour after watering) but I'm hopeful it keeps the flea beetles from coming, and that should limit solar radiation and increase hygrometry. And if there are any problems I can reseed in 1 month or less.

I sowed cabbages in buckets, and they were attacked, normal flea beetles go everywhere, I'm thinking of making a "box" type cheese cage, for my seedlings if by chance in summer, if they are ravaged
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/07/20, 13:43

Did67 wrote:In a "north-eastern" climate, we are approaching the last limits (and I'm late again!) For sowing "winter vegetables", with a few close (lamb's lettuce, winter turnips, perhaps. be a few winter radishes which must still grow in winter, on sunny days and in not too cold soil).

Winter vegetables are vegetables from the end of summer, which grow until winter and then withstand the cold, without flinching ...

Their name is misleading!

But here the peak of growth of winter vegetables is October in general, but it often grows until November or even more for lamb's lettuce. September is mostly dry and sunny, although I greatly appreciated the rain given the drought (third year in a row, worse every time)
Usually I sow around August 15, chews it up later (otherwise no emergence)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/07/20, 14:48

An example: Brussels sprouts, a winter vegetable. But it reached its size at the end of October / November ... Sown in September, you will be too late - unless the winter is warm. And there are a few like that. In any case at home. Ditto for the "winter escaroles".

Where you are right: it is sometimes difficult to sow during this period. Normally there was always a little wet patch somewhere in August. But it's not as normal anymore ... So sometimes you have to water the seedlings.

For my part, currently, I am remaking buckets. In the frames but without the windows! And I water of course. One can advantageously shade these nurseries (I should do it, but it is still not done).

After, as I said, chews, turnips, some carrots, beets, we can be more patient ...

Then, we should distinguish the nature of the vegetable: lamb's lettuce, escarole, leeks, etc. we eat the vegetative apparatus. We can eat if it's small! For others (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower) it is the buds. And there, if a sufficient stage of development is not reached, we have nothing!
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/07/20, 17:41

But I do not make Brussels sprouts or broccoli, it is too late yes ... They were all puffed, some are returning to the ground, to see.
The seedlings I made are small Kale type cabbages, and they only grow in wet, mild or cool weather. Even in the middle of winter it grows (except frost)
0 x