The wonders of Nature

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Did67

Re: The wonders of Nature

by Did67 » 29/11/19, 12:51

Grelinette wrote:
That said, we know that science, in its approach, has a certain logic in terms of the search for efficiency ... and (financial) returns. Besides, science is often at the service of finance. science is expensive and it has to repay investments.
In short, even if you invest, you can do so in extreme practices that optimize results and guarantee returns on investments.

As you say, "we shake the bulls to collect the sperm" (we also do it on the horses).
This is the side of the male ... but the equality of the sexes wants that we also take care of the madams, so much so go get the eggs where they are the freshest and the best of their form, their youth and their health: the embryo!

Certainly there is the argument "to have better results", but in reality the real motivation for these extreme practices is how to make the most money possible. One can debate the fact that one implies the other, but the real debate, in my opinion, is that all reflections and analyzes on the merits of a scientific practice are based primarily on the money, and this approach opens the door to all the deadly drifts.

It has been said and repeated: this is the paradigm that must be changed!

I do not disagree!

I have repeatedly underlined the problems posed by the fact that we no longer had the means to fund public research (which is not necessarily "independent" - let us not be naive; but there is nevertheless place for free researchers; what there is not in a private lab).

Changing the paradigm is something that I write (it's in my book) and that I started by practicing with writing it, in my vegetable patch.

So I'm not against it at all!

However, I always take care to denounce real things and avoid falling into an emotional communication, which very quickly leads us to the side of fake-news. And fake-news, even for a good cause, I don't believe it!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/11/19, 12:56

I would add a point: yes, we must question the meaning of research in the lab! Because today's lab research can become the techniques used on a large scale tomorrow (not always! Sometimes it fails!). All the more so if it is "private", therefore was financed with the aim of being profitable.

The first test-tube baby was a derivative of artificial insemination developed for animals by INRA. The techniques are the same.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 29/11/19, 13:27

Do not fall into the contradictory debate because in the end we think and say the same things overall. (like the majority of Internet users who come to drag their mice on econology :) )

Finally (... to troll this subject on the wonders of nature), the director of the film I saw last night (man ate the earth), said during the debate that he saw no other solution than to have hope in the 2, 3 or even 4 future generations, those of our children and grandchildren, to change the ways of thinking and acting , overhaul the current consensual motivations and objectives, which are, for the generations currently in control of human societies, almost based only on a financial purpose.

The paradigm, I tell you, the PARADIGM, is what must be changed imperatively ... even if it means using genetic methods!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 29/11/19, 14:44

Finally (... to troll this subject on the wonders of Nature), the director of the film that I saw last night (the man ate the earth), said during the debate that he did not see d '' other solution than to have hope in the 2, 3 or even 4 future generations, those of our children and grandchildren, to change the ways of thinking and acting, to recast the current consensual motivations and objectives, which are, for the generations currently at the helm of human societies, almost based solely on a financial purpose.
the generations that preceded me, mine did the same, why would that change?
The paradigm, I tell you, the PARADIGM, is what must be changed imperatively ... even if it means using genetic methods!
Ie worse and worse every time! Remember that each generation says "never again and they do it again each time" as Ecclesiastes says: "all that is has already been and will be again!"
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 29/11/19, 17:27

Janic wrote: the generations that preceded me, mine did the same, why would that change?

Because if you went out a bit and talked to young people, you might realize that a large number of them (more and more) have the same awareness as you of these problems, whereas when we had the same age, we were more than rare.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 29/11/19, 18:17

Because if you went out a bit and talked to young people, you might realize that a large number of them (more and more) have the same awareness as you of these problems, whereas when we had the same age we were more than rare
: Cheesy: : Cheesy:
must not believe, I manage to cross the step of my door and even to go painfully to my mailbox: pouffe, pouffe! : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
What did May 68 give on the youth of those days! Some became BCBG and others became slaves in the production industry. And yet it had a big boom, then a big flop too!
Now yes. These young people become vegan, question the violence of a society which lives above all on this violence, physical, psychological, mental and yet, for the rest, they live FROM this society of violence [*], because they cannot (or don't want to) do otherwise.

[*] for example their war and death games and they no longer even perceive that this society maintains them in this spirit violence that is not limited to not killing little beasts.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 30/11/19, 11:21

GuyGadebois wrote:
Janic wrote: the generations that preceded me, mine did the same, why would that change?

Because if you went out a bit and talked to young people, you might realize that a large number of them (more and more) have the same awareness as you of these problems, whereas when we had the same age, we were more than rare.

I plussoie: young people appear more aware of the catastrophic situation of the world today and of their uncertain future in the short or medium term.

When I was a student, in the 80s, I remember that the values ​​that were put in front of us were those of all money, unrestrained consumption, businessmen who succeeded without faith or law. Economic, political and financial doctrine was: "the end justifies (all) the means", it was the great era of Bernard Carpets that we saw in all the media presented as the messiah (economic, social, political, etc.).
I still have the memory of some business school teachers who hammered home the dubious but effective commercial methods (today very questionable and contested but still in vogue) to sell more and more expensive ... and we let's drink it all like whey!

Recently a friend announced to me with pride that his daughter has integrated, on file, a prestigious course of the Sorbone. In short, although she is young, she is already on the royal and comfortable path that will lead her to be part of the future elite of untouchables and actors of our society ... and she teaches me that I have integrated a protest movement (extinction-rebellion) because it thinks that it cannot last any longer and does not want to be a link in this destructive chain of humanity, nature and the world.

Of course we should not generalize but many bright young people seem to express their concern for the world they will have tomorrow and begin to act.

Moreover, you will note that the creators and activists of the concept of "Collapse announced from our company"are young over-educated and very brilliant in scientific, economic, legal fields, etc! (without forgetting the young and singular Greta, whom I salute in passing! :P). Note also that by itself, Greta crystallizes all the aggressiveness and reproaches of the actors of the old generation implicated in the decrepitude of our world: Greta has become de facto the symbol of this generational opposition between the young and the old !

In any case, we have no choice: we see every day that the generations who created the mess continue to maintain it and even still announce deleterious and deadly projects. It's old", who are still in charge today (look at the average age of our politicians - apart from Manu of course!), do not seem to want to drop out and change things, and continue in their destructive projects.

Future generations are therefore the only ones currently able to benefit from the presumption of a more peaceful future.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 30/11/19, 12:55

Future generations are therefore the only ones currently able to benefit from the presumption of a more peaceful future.
it's actually what we all want, namely seeing them do the dirty work of rectifying all ONGOING bullshit for a century and a half. But it is like the continents of plastic in the oceans and under these oceans, it is almost impossible to eliminate because no reliable and viable solution appears on the horizon of this youth. Too many interests are at stake! But hope gives life (sic)!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/11/19, 14:34

Grelinette wrote:
When I was a student, in the 80s, I remember that the values ​​that were put in front of us were those of all money, unrestrained consumption, businessmen who succeeded without faith or law ...

AND elsewhere, there were all the obediences of leftism, with all the nuances of idealism ... Those who went to Kathmandu or Goa ... Those who made "flower power" ... Woodstock. I think we could be enthusiastic, seeing that, at the time. We are in a good position to know where it ended.

At the beginning of the 80s, if Agro obviously did not speak of "organic", the students were already organizing meetings with "organic" producers ... Organized visits to "organic" farms ... Today, the "organic" weighs about 6 or 7% of the value of French agricultural production ...

I would like to be optimistic.

I really am not - I do not know if the emptiness of internal speeches, fakes, etc ... really contribute to the building of a youth that will change the world ... Greta Thunberg scares me more than she don't give me confidence ...

I fear that the youth of today will do only what other young people did before them: get old!

I admit having a certain propensity to be pessimistic. While fighting at my level and, with my means, so that people "understand" ... This is only my free opinion ...

PS: Of course I hope I am wrong!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 30/11/19, 18:05

Did67 wrote:
Grelinette wrote:
When I was a student, in the 80s, I remember that the values ​​that were put in front of us were those of all money, unrestrained consumption, businessmen who succeeded without faith or law ...

AND elsewhere, there were all the obediences of leftism, with all the nuances of idealism ... Those who went to Kathmandu or Goa ... Those who made "flower power" ... Woodstock. I think we could be enthusiastic, seeing that, at the time. We are in a good position to know where it ended.

At the beginning of the 80s, if Agro obviously did not speak of "organic", the students were already organizing meetings with "organic" producers ... Organized visits to "organic" farms ... Today, the "organic" weighs about 6 or 7% of the value of French agricultural production ...

I would like to be optimistic.

I really am not - I do not know if the emptiness of internal speeches, fakes, etc ... really contribute to the building of a youth that will change the world ... Greta Thunberg scares me more than she don't give me confidence ...

I fear that the youth of today will do only what other young people did before them: get old!

I admit having a certain propensity to be pessimistic. While fighting at my level and, with my means, so that people "understand" ... This is only my free opinion ...

PS: Of course I hope I am wrong!

Peace and love is leftist? Ah well then, Mao would be happy! : Mrgreen:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)