Pollution is (always) the other!?! Is ecology misanthropic (see fascist)?

philosophical debates and companies.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Pollution is (always) the other!?! Is ecology misanthropic (see fascist)?

by Ahmed » 18/11/19, 13:08

Christophe, you write:
And he was absolutely right: we yell at the products and at the manufacturers or sellers of "polluting products" while it is at their customer that we should yell!

This is a somewhat simplistic reasoning because the buyer is not at the initiative of the industrialists' choices. To take a banal example, the choice was made in high places to incorporate a certain percentage of alcohol of vegetable origin in the gasoline and the users are asked to accommodate themselves, happy or not. Another example, no motorist has chosen to destroy their car under the pretext of exceeding ever more restrictive standards and replacing it with a new one, a little better in this respect, but overall worse if we take into account (and how not to do it?) the whole process ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/11/19, 19:08

My dear Ahmed, obviously there are exceptions (which confirm ... blah ....) ...

a) in general and in our current system (freedom to consume), it is the customer who is responsible for the vast majority of their own consumption choices! Nobody forces you to have the latest iphone or SUV (except a little planned obsolescence ok * ... my 2015 sony still works very well ... I think most people would have thrown it away in 2017 ... the average lifetime of mobile phones being 18 months ...)

b) CT is regulatory and not a choice of consumption ... CT is an obligation to consume! And the manager is the other! QED!

So we yell at Total who uses palm oil and who kills the poor orangutan but we don't yell at the customer who goes to Total ... and who ultimately is responsible for all of this ...

* but as it is a myth ... it is the buyer the responsible : Mrgreen:
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 18/11/19, 19:23

Ahmed wrote:Christophe, you write:
And he was absolutely right: we yell at the products and at the manufacturers or sellers of "polluting products" while it is at their customer that we should yell!

This is a somewhat simplistic reasoning because the buyer is not at the initiative of the industrialists' choices.

This is the only valid reasoning. I am responsible for my purchases. Nothing forces anyone to consume shit, the choice being overwhelming.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/11/19, 19:48

GuyGadebois wrote:This is the only valid reasoning. I am responsible for my purchases. Nothing forces anyone to consume shit, the choice being overwhelming.

It all depends on the scale to which we refer.
We live in a type system red queen or you have to run faster and faster to stay in place. If indeed nobody forces us to buy a spread, it is more difficult to do without the internet, especially when the government hastens to delete everything public services and that most administrative procedures are now carried out through this vector.
It is the same thing with the dematerialized purchase of tickets (ex of train) or the human presence still tend to disappear from small and medium stations ... and I am not talking about the abolition of ATMs and the development of cashback which will make the use of the mobile phone mandatory whether we like it or not.
Other examples relating to sociology and l'imitation( :) ) is found in schoolyards (for example) where you have to look like the others so as not to be ostracized ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 18/11/19, 20:03

sen-no-sen wrote:
GuyGadebois wrote:This is the only valid reasoning. I am responsible for my purchases. Nothing forces anyone to consume shit, the choice being overwhelming.

It all depends on the scale to which we refer.
We live in a type system red queen or you have to run faster and faster to stay in place. If indeed nobody forces us to buy a spread, it is more difficult to do without the internet, especially when the government hastens to delete everything public services and that most administrative procedures are now carried out through this vector.<<< This phenomenon is more recent than ecological problems and is akin to technological fascism. "Sink or swim".
It is the same thing with the dematerialized purchase of tickets (ex of train) or the human presence still tend to disappear from small and medium stations ... and I am not talking about the abolition of ATMs and the development of cashback which will make the use of the mobile phone mandatory whether we like it or not.<<< (Bis) More fascism
Other examples relating to sociology and l'imitation( :) ) is found in schoolyards (for example) where you have to look like the others so as not to be ostracized ...<<< We've all been there, I was ostracized because I was unlike the others. It is awkward for a while and then becomes a force.

I am scandalized to have received (today) my Carte Bleue with contactless payment.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/11/19, 17:16

For those who want to share the subject:

0 x