Wind power: for or against the wind?

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Wind: for or against the wind?

by Ahmed » 16/02/19, 09:47

In addition to this question of the evolution of the techniques, it is necessary to consider that these masts are not comparable to obelisks, since they are subjected to mechanical stresses, thus to the fatigue of the metal, which makes the reuse hazardous. .
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 16/02/19, 14:30

Installed wind power capacity in the late 2018 States.

The Texas champion with almost 25 GW is a quarter of the US capacity.

https://www.evwind.es/2019/02/04/consum ... es-2/65988
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/02/19, 15:06

Anyway as soon as a large-scale windmill project is born everyone is ... wind up against him so I do not know if it's promised a big future except in the geographical areas where the populations do not have a say ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 17/02/19, 15:05

Continuation of this 3 fev 2016 post http://www.oleocene.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 20#p385920

Hornsea1 which is going to be the largest offshore wind farm in the world is starting to deliver its first current in a partial opening.

End of installation of all the turbines before autumn.

The world's biggest offshore wind farm, Hornsea 1

February 15, 2019 evwind

The first wind turbine at the world's biggest offshore wind farm has been installed and is now producing electricity.

When fully operational, Hornsea 1 offshore wind farm will be almost double the size (1,218MW) of the current world's largest offshore wind farm, Walney Extension, and able to power over one million UK homes with renewable electricity, generated by wind energy.

The project is located 120km off the Yorkshire Coast and will consist of 174 Siemens Gamesa 7MW wind turbines. The majority of wind farms are manufactured in Hull, from where they are shipped to the Hornsea area.

The wind farm is a joint venture between Ørsted, the global leader in offshore wind, and Global Infrastructure Partners.
"It's amazing to think that we've just started offshore construction on Hornsea 1, and now, 120km off the coast, it has already started to generate clean electricity. I'd like to thank the thousands of people responsible for this milestone. It's taken hard work from so many different people, ingenious solutions and disciplined professional collaboration - which has all been worthwhile.
"There is still a long way to go, 173 turbines to be precise! But I'm confident we will continue to work with the teams involved, and together deliver the biggest renewable energy project in the UK, helping to deliver a cleaner, greener energy system for the future. "

To date, 172 has been installed at the site, and the installation is expected to continue until late summer 174. The electricity generated by the turbines will pass via undersea cables through massive offshore substations, and the world's first offshore reactive compensation station, all fully installed, before reaching shore at Horseshoe Point, Lincolnshire. The electricity is then transported via underground cables to the onshore substation in North Killingholme, where it connects to the UK National Grid, in order to reach a million homes in the UK.

https://www.evwind.es/2019/02/15/the-wo ... ower/66160
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/02/19, 22:02

moinsdewatt wrote:Installed wind power capacity in the late 2018 States.

The Texas champion with almost 25 GW is a quarter of the US capacity.

Interesting and amazing knowing the romance between oil and Texans (yes yes I looked a little Dallas ... Mea Culpa : Mrgreen: ) ... and the fact that California is far behind!

California has a green policy since 20 years and ... many more odds than Texas!

JR has to turn in his grave! : Cheesy:

Also surprising that there is nothing in Florida or Louisiana ... hurricane fault maybe?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/02/19, 00:08

Christophe wrote:
moinsdewatt wrote:The installed wind power capacity in the late 2018 States.The Texas champion with almost 25 GW is a quarter of the US capacity.
Interesting and amazing knowing the romance between oil and Texans (yes yes I looked a little Dallas ... Mea Culpa : Mrgreen: ) ... and the fact that California is far behind!
California has a green policy since 20 years and ... many more odds than Texas!
JR has to turn in his grave! : Cheesy:
Also surprising that there is nothing in Florida or Louisiana ... hurricane fault maybe?
We must rather think that the conditions are not favorable, because in the US, the implementation rules are more severe than at home ... It shows in the load factor
In 2016, the load factor of the US wind farm averaged 35% according to the EIA (it generally exceeds 40% in the case of recent projects (4)) https://www.connaissancedesenergies.org ... nis-180126
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 18/02/19, 11:22

It is above all a political will in the local sense. Indeed, I see multiple wind turbines bloom on a department and nothing about the next department a few miles away.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/02/19, 13:27

Janic wrote:It is above all a political will in the local sense. Indeed, I see multiple wind turbines bloom on a department and nothing about the next department a few miles away.

I was going to make the same remark at the US level: mandatory laws or tax exemption or carbon offset (etc ...) must vary greatly from one state to another ... in France we are much more (still ) centralized ... I think the explanations are elsewhere ...

See also local electricity producers ...

This explains, perhaps, the large wind farm in Texas: offset the CO2 (or profits) of oil ... : Cheesy:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/02/19, 19:08

Janic wrote:It is above all a political will in the local sense. Indeed, I see multiple wind turbines bloom on a department and nothing about the next department a few miles away.

I do not think the departmental level can do much.

On the other hand, in addition to the eternal debates on radars, the low-altitude training areas of the Air Force are a real constraint, which may possibly suggest that it is a "departmental" problem. They cover about 20% of the national territory, but that is shrinking.

For those who are interested, it (the army) has just "released" 9000km2 very recently, the official document can be downloaded from this article in Le Figaro:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/2019 ... iennes.php

Those who may be surprised not to see wind turbines in the Cotentin will find the explanation, and will not be surprised to see in the near future!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/03/19, 09:09

Eight hundred and forty tons of concrete, 300 tons of steel and 25 tons of composites, it is about what represents a wind turbine of 2 MW. Only a few tens of these windmills have been dismantled in France since the installation of the first park in 1996. In five years they will be 1 500 to give way to more powerful models.

A number that will inevitably increase given the acceleration of investments in renewable energy provided for by the multiannual energy program (PPE). "From 2020, several hundred machines will have to be dismantled each year," warns Didier Evano, president of Net-Wind, an SME specializing in wind maintenance located on the outskirts of Nantes, in La Chevrolière (Loire-Atlantique). A dismantling that poses a new challenge, that of the recovery of wind turbine components. https://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/e ... es.N807845
0 x