Vinegar vegetable preservation

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Vinegar vegetable conservation

by izentrop » 01/10/19, 10:24

Did67 wrote:
to be chafoin wrote: (we see carbon dioxide bubbles on the middle one). The little red also (tomatoes and peppers).
So there is a "schmilblic": lactic fermentation is an anaerobic fermentation which does not release CO2. In a sauerkraut drum or under the tarps of a corn silage (typical lactic fermentations), there are no bubbles!
Yeasts are also present at the start of fermentation and they are the ones that produce alcohol and CO2.
The goal of lactofermentation is to create a favorable environment for lactic bacteria so that they quickly acidify the environment, making it unfit for life by pathogens, yeasts and molds. In some cases, salt is added which promotes bacteria.

This is also the case with the functioning of the bokashi bucket, but it is the version of Teruo Higa which wins commercially. As a result, people miss most of the time because they are not using the right method.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 01/10/19, 10:47

Izentro, are they missing bokashi or lactofermentation?
You can develop please
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 01/10/19, 11:06

The grimoire that I have on fermentations clearly indicates that lactic fermentation normally generates, in addition to lactic acid, "significant quantities of secondary products such as carbon dioxide, alcohol and acetic acid. "These are lactic acid bacteria (including L. mesenteroides) say heterofermentative, which are the cause of this CO2 at the start of fermentation, unlike the so-called bacteria homofermentary (Such as Lactobacillus plantarum) which take over as the medium acidifies and which produce almost exclusively only lactic acid.

This is why it is not recommended to close the jars tightly with metal lids, except to release the pressure exerted on the lid from time to time. Canned food with rubber seals are however indicated.

I don't know how we make sauerkraut, is it in closed pots? I think that for sauerkraut there must also be a release of CO2 because it is indicated that the 2 types of bacteria are in symbiosis when the process is successful.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/10/19, 13:41

phil53 wrote:Izentro, are they missing bokashi or lactofermentation?
You can develop please

To avoid lactofermentation mold, the liquid should cover completely.
It was bokashi that I was thinking of, the ferment that you can make yourself. more effective if it is alive ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 01/10/19, 13:50

izentrop wrote:
phil53 wrote:Izentro, are they missing bokashi or lactofermentation?
You can develop please

To avoid lactofermentation mold, the liquid should cover completely.
It was bokashi that I was thinking of, the ferment that you can make yourself. more effective if it is alive ...

How do you do it?
I'm interested, I'm coming to the end of its bokashi activator.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/10/19, 14:46

to be chafoin wrote:I don't know how we make sauerkraut, is it in closed pots? I think that for sauerkraut there must also be a release of CO2 because it is indicated that the 2 types of bacteria are in symbiosis when the process is successful.

Sauerkraut, you cut finely (with a special stroke). You put a handful of salt per layer. You stack it in a large container open at the top.

You press so that there is no air at all and everything is covered with "juice".

When you're done, put weighted boards so the juice always sticks out.

I did not observe any "bubbles" (but it is true that the pot is not transparent). In any case, it does not "bubble" ... Sometimes, we have a little mold swimming on the top of the juice, which we "clean" (a bit like on the open jar of pickles).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/10/19, 20:47

Did67 wrote:
to be chafoin wrote:I don't know how we make sauerkraut, is it in closed pots? I think that for sauerkraut there must also be a release of CO2 because it is indicated that the 2 types of bacteria are in symbiosis when the process is successful.

Sauerkraut, you cut finely (with a special stroke). You put a handful of salt per layer. You stack it in a large container open at the top.

You press so that there is no air at all and everything is covered with "juice".

When you're done, put weighted boards so the juice always sticks out.

I did not observe any "bubbles" (but it is true that the pot is not transparent). In any case, it does not "bubble" ... Sometimes, we have a little mold swimming on the top of the juice, which we "clean" (a bit like on the open jar of pickles).

in the tutorials, this period is estimated from 5 to 7 days after apparently there would be more
to bounce off the Youtuber; I watched a video, the guy takes you 15 min to get you his recipe (it's annoying in the long run and it's in all the comments) but I was missing info, I'm watching a second video, I'm falling on a report of 4 min of silence it grows, exactly the same speech almost word for word, but this time clear and precise, the guy had just added to the reflection of the cook who spoke of war between bacteria, told him about Star wars : Mrgreen: and so I was still missing the little info that I finally found in a 3rd video, when we say cool, it's just in the cellar but not in the fridge, because as lacto conservation dates before the fridge, the thought that said to put it in the fridge seemed very strange to me
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/10/19, 22:55

phil53 wrote:I'm interested, I'm coming to the end of its bokashi activator.
I answered here agriculture / fermentation-lactic-of-a-waste-of-way-of-waste recycling-Organic-and-future-t16033-10.html # p368122
and the recipe here Consumer-durable / make-her-pain au levain-t15487-40.html # p368156

Instead of bran, a whole inoculated flour contains about 70% carbohydrates, perfect for feeding bacteria ... well, I think.

A study which shows that rice flour lowers the PH to 3.9, while that of cassava, only PH 8, therefore ineffective https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29625399
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/10/19, 08:41

Moindreffor wrote:... in a third video, when we say cool, it's just in the cellar but not in the fridge, because as lacto conservation dates from before the fridge, the thought that said to put it in the fridge seemed very weird

For the sauerkraut, I confirm: we do that and we leave in the cellar ...

That said, the (agricultural) silage which is also lacto-fermentations, is done outside in midsummer, under black tarpaulin! But the volumes are very important. We mug the tractor!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 02/10/19, 11:11

Apparently, it depends on what you want to get. It may be necessary to slow down the cold fermentation otherwise the pectin of the plant tissues is attacked and you will have soft vegetables over time (especially for watery vegetables: cucumbers, squash) but some like it. The colder it is, the more the fermentation slows down I think, or even is "blocked" (as for the leaven that I put more or less high in the fridge, at the bottom if I want to stop).
Other solutions to keep the crunchy: add more salt, add tannin leaves ...

The cucumbers that I kept in the vinegar kept their crunchiness better than the lacto-fermented ones which quickly became soft-soft, despite the addition of tannin leaves. It must be said that I had not bothered to remove the aqueous part of the seeds from them, which did not have to settle ... So I put my jars in the fridge, but it takes up space. .
0 x