The machine that turns plastic into fuel passes the second

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

The machine that turns plastic into fuel passes the second

by jean.caissepas » 23/08/19, 11:55

Very interesting article, with a solution that seems really good ...

https://www.20minutes.fr/magazine/25832 ... superieure
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The machine that turns plastic into fuel passes the second

by Ahmed » 23/08/19, 13:59

I don't know if it's really "low tech", but it's still "high price" for a machine after all quite modest. Speaking to impoverished countries, it could quickly get stuck ...
It would be interesting to know how much electricity * this bazaar consumes, because it is still necessary to start pyrolysis.
The idea remains seductive, but will this Chrysalis be transformed into something concrete?

* In the promotional video, it is stated that the machine does not require electricity, so why is it equipped with a wire? :D
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/08/19, 14:43

Ahmed wrote:I don't know if it's really "low tech", but it's still "high price" for a machine after all quite modest.:D

The initiative in itself is commendable, but I still have big doubts about the advanced conversion yields ..... I am willing to "admit" (this is to be in the wind) that the petro- Global chemical companies are idiots and / or corrupt, but if we could recycle used plastic into fuel with yields like that, they'd be in the niche for a long time rather than trying to laboriously recycle plastic into plastic.

For Amhed:
-the 50000 € announced are if I understood correctly for a machine to process 60kg / batch, not the 1 2kg machine that we see on the video.
- even if it's "low tech", concerning the power supply, there must be some sensors, processors and solenoid valves to supply, it is not necessarily a significant consumption. But here I am benevolent!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 23/08/19, 15:12

Pyrolysis in a thermally insulated enclosure can be energy efficient. With compacted plastic waste before transport, it could be profitable.

We can do the test http://lowtechlab.org/wiki/Pyrolyseur_de_plastique
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/08/19, 17:42

izentrop wrote: With compacted plastic waste before transport, it could be profitable.

Not understood ..... Neither the fact that the waste is compacted or not before transport, nor the fact that that would mean that it "could be profitable"?

izentrop wrote:We can do the test http://lowtechlab.org/wiki/Pyrolyseur_de_plastique

I think university or industrial labs have a little more sophisticated means than 3 or 4 buckets, even metal, on the beach! : Lol:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/08/19, 18:44

Ben who says pyrolysis, says that it is necessary to heat. They still talk about 400 ° C, which is twice what it takes in an oven to grill a chicken! It is not the plastic to pyrolyze that is used to heat, otherwise, there will not be much at the exit.

Odd that this is not even mentioned ...

How strange is the fact that we put a polyethylene - so a polymerized alkene - and without hydrogen, we get an alkane (saturated) ??? Because gasoline is a mixture of alkanes, octanes, heptanes, etc ... Chemically, there is something wrong. You need hydrogen to break the polymers and get a saturated product.

Luckily, plastic does not have a high heat mass, so that does not mean it's not playable. But they could still be clear to be credible!

Or can someone pedal?

Well, you know me: skeptical by nature. I leave you ... We'll see if in 3 years we still talk about it. Or if like for the solar road, it was just a nice idea to suck grants and sponsors ...
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/08/19, 19:01

Did67 wrote:Or can someone pedal?

You are definitely indecrotable!
I try to express as diplomatically as possible some doubts about what is announced in a Youtube video, and you land with your big fangs! Well, I think that basically we are pretty much in agreement ....
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/08/19, 20:00

I said: "skeptical by nature ...".

From there, what good is diplomacy if it is a question of asking one or two questions. I'm not insulting anyone: the promoters don't say anything about how they heat up. The BA BA of a test is all the same to put an electric meter to see what is the ratio between the "petroleum" energy which leaves the system and the electrical energy which enters it (electricity is a commodity). rare in many areas!).

I can not imagine they did not do it.

So why the plethora of figures on "what comes out", and nothing on what "comes in" ???

How about a word on the "chemistry" of pyrolysis. In my oven, pyrolysis is the brutal destruction of molecules (mainly fat), which are released as gas. A few minerals remain, which we clean with a sponge ... I have saturated fat; I oxidize it in CO², there I understand ... It is the most greedy operation of my oven!

So yes, it makes me suspicious.

From there, no diplomacy. "I'm dead and luckily I'm still alive!" - why would I be a diplomat? Too late !
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/08/19, 20:24

Did67 wrote:So yes, it makes me suspicious.

And you're right!

Especially since what comes out of this machine, apart from volumes and yields on which we can have some doubts, it is not diesel and gasoline, they are some little indeterminate things, which certainly look like diesel and petrol in terms of the condensation temperature. If it's just to heat something it should do it, if it's to power a motor a bit modern I have doubts ....
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/08/19, 21:18

If I remember correctly, the pyrolysis temperature indeed seems to me much too low to hope to obtain quality fuels, just a "thing" that burns ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."