Nuclear power continues in the world

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Remundo

Re: Nuclear continues in the world

by Remundo » 14/08/22, 16:07

I see that the smoker who didn't even understand that the thorium cycle needs a breeding process...

keep trolling to death...

here are documents that will refresh the memory of your numb brain.

2013: Survey
In the Middle East, series short circuits for EDF and Areva

Failed negotiations, too high prices and fratricidal competition... for more than ten years, French electricity producers and suppliers have had a string of fiascos.

2020: Built by the South Korean Kepco, preferred to the French, the first of the four reactors started up.
It is a historic step that was taken on Wednesday in the Arabo-Persian Gulf. By injecting its first kilowatt hours into the electricity grid, the Baraka reactor became the first nuclear power plant in operation in the Arab world.

and in 2013, remind us already how many billions had been swallowed up in the French and Finnish EPRs?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 14/08/22, 16:17

To also make their own nuclear bomb to play in the court of the "big" (sic)
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/08/22, 17:03

Remundo wrote:j
keep trolling to death...

Is it "death trolling" to show that you are talking nonsense by reversing the chronology of the real dates of the events?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 14/08/22, 21:03

I haven't reversed much... and basically I'm totally right.

go and count the neutrons!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/08/22, 21:12

Remundo wrote:I haven't reversed much... and basically I'm totally right.

Well if you say so, it must be true. You're not a moderator for nothing!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 14/08/22, 21:21

pretty much everywhere you go, you're condescending.

I didn't at all appreciate your attempt to discredit me on breeding, unless you yourself are stupid to eat hay on the subject... go count the neutrons, I told you.
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 15/08/22, 17:19

NunucPasCher.JPG
NunucPasCher.JPG (303.67 KiB) Viewed 639 times

We OweYouMoreThanLight.JPG
WeOweYouOweMoreThanTheLight.JPG (342.88 KiB) Viewed 639 times
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Nuclear power continues to POLLUTE AND RUIN THE TAXPAYER in France

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 15/08/22, 17:25

Belleville-sur-Loire: the nuclear power plant and its discharges at the heart of a public inquiry

The Belleville-sur-Loire (Cher) plant must meet stricter thresholds for pathogens. These thresholds are now imposed in all nuclear power plants, hence the use of monochloramine. But the consequence of this monochloramine unit is that the plant will modify its emissions into the water and the air, hence this public inquiry. The investigation focuses, among other things, on discharges of chlorine, ammonia, copper, zinc but also tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, generated by the plant.

Françoise Pouzet, President of the Sortir du Nucléaire Berry, Puisaye, Giennois network: "Tritium is very present in the Loire, and it is present almost continuously. It is so small that it interferes everywhere. In the water that we drink, in the air we breathe. Many scientists say it: there is no threshold for the impact of radioactivity on living beings. Radioactivity acts on the genome of living beings and therefore each small repeated dose , however small it may be, can have an impact on the living."

Zinc and copper discharges, resulting from the corrosion of the reactor cooling circuit, will also change, indicates José de Carvalho: "We asked for a slightly upward trend on the daily peaks that we could have, but in the end an overall downward threshold over the year." The plant rejects in particular 16 tons of copper per year: "In fact, the plant requests authorization from the prefecture, the populations and the Nuclear Safety Authority to wait ten more years to completely retube its condensers" analyzes Françoise Pouzet.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/environ ... 1640095346

Discharges from nuclear power plants into the Loire Valley river
13/03/2022 11:41
For the past year, we have taken a close interest in discharges from CNPEs in the Loire Valley, discharges during normal operation, authorized and declared by EDF.

We first collected all the discharge figures made by Belleville and Dampierre.

They questioned us about the enormous quantity (in tons) of various chemical products and heavy metals1, discharged directly into the Loire.
For Belleville and Dampierre, nearly 400 tonnes were discharged into the river water in 2020.

This is why we continued our investigations on the power stations of Saint Laurent-des-Eaux, Chinon, and Civaux (on the Vienne which flows into the Loire):
Colossal discharges from the 5 power plants: nearly 6000 tonnes of various substances were discharged into the Vienne and the Loire in 2020!!

We are not convinced that the various communities and administrations that manage water or work around water are well informed of all these discharges made in the Loire.

This is why we believe it is very important to draw attention to this problem of discharges from power plants, admittedly authorised, but the annual total of which appears to be obscured, whether by EDF, ASN, IRSN, the prefectures, the DREAL, public water establishments, etc.

Indeed, EDF always demonstrates that by dilution in the Loire water, the discharges always comply with the standards or limits imposed. However, these considerable discharges of effluents are very real, accumulating year after year, and this for 50 years.

To these chemical releases must be added

the radioactive discharges2 released into the water (213 TBq in 2020) admittedly also authorized, but substantial,

radioactive emissions2 into the atmosphere (10 Tbq in 2020),

chemical emissions into the atmosphere (1300 kg in 2020, which are not subject to limits),

and emissions of refrigerants, very powerful greenhouse gases, double the tolerance (100kg per plant) in 2020: 1020 kg for the 5 plants.

Not to mention the water needs of 716 million m3 (i.e. the equivalent of the annual drinking water consumption of 3 inhabitants):

625 million m3 taken from the Loire and 91 million m3 from the Vienne, of which almost half is evaporated into the atmosphere (by the air-cooling chimneys)
How not to imagine a cocktail effect of all these pollutants and an impact on the Loire biotopes by these cumulative discharges, year after year for 50 years, from the five nuclear power stations and this, up to the estuary3?

1 - Boric acid, Ammonium, Nitrates, Nitrites, Phosphates, Chlorides, Sodium, Sulphates, Copper, Zinc, Polyacrylates, Lithine, Total nitrogen, Morpholine or Ethanolamine (and its degradation products: nitrosomorpholine, diethanolamine, methylamine, pyrrolidine, diethylamine, ethylamine, acetates, formates, glycolates, oxalates), Hydrazine, Detergents, Organohalogens, Trihalomethanes, Total Residual Chlorine, various metals, Monochloramine (and its degradation products: monochloroacetic acid, dichloroacetic acid, trichloroacetic acid, bromochloroacetic acid, 1,1, XNUMX-dichloropropanone), chloroform...

2 - Tritium, carbon 14, iodines and other fission and activation products

3 - A recent “Pollusols” study confirms that we find in the sediments of the estuary, uranium and tritium, nuclear products... and questions us about the copper level which has doubled over the past 30 years. ..

“Even if they are low, these concentrations can be problematic for the environment and for human health. We are on chronic toxicity, with a cumulative effect over time and a possible combination of pollutants, ”explains the CNRS.

“As for tritium, the radioactive isotope of hydrogen legally discharged into the waters of the Loire by the five nuclear power stations which border it or border its tributaries, it is found even in the sediments of the estuary which faithfully record all plant drops. The researchers also point to an accumulation of this toxic radioelement in plants, due to the ease with which it binds to organic matter, whether dead (like humus) or alive. »

https://lejournal.cnrs.fr/articles/a-na ... n-des-sols

More: https://www.sdn-berry-giennois-puisaye. ... la-loire1/

https://www.sdn-berry-giennois-puisaye. ... la-loire1/
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 15/08/22, 18:20

Remundo wrote:I didn't at all appreciate your attempt to discredit me on breeding, unless you yourself are stupid to eat hay on the subject... go count the neutrons, I told you.

You seem to take it for granted that a reactor powered by Thorium will produce as much U-233 as it consumes. That's the theory, maybe...
But if the Chinese are building a 2MWth pilot, it is certainly, among other objectives, that they want to verify it, by carrying out the optimizations that may be necessary for a switch to higher power. But nothing is certain so far in the real world.
Admittedly, on paper and with current knowledge, it should be able to work, in breeding in a commercial power reactor, that remains to be proven. Wait and see.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 15/08/22, 20:21

I don't take it for granted.

I say it's necessary if you want a thorium spinneret.

if putting thorium 232 chokes the reactors, whatever they are, there is no future for the sector.

But I think it's playable, especially since a thermal neutron reactor has already achieved it.

To my knowledge, we have not succeeded in breeding U238 to Pu239 in thermal spectrum reactors. For this we use fast neutrons.

The French weren't bad at it, even if their power plants had hiccups (phenyx and superphenyx). Nowadays the French are not even able to maintain their conventional nuclear fleet, shame...

The Russians on the other hand with the BN800 go there cheerfully, and the Chinese are on the bridge with the CEFR.
1 x