First garden, some challenges ...

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: First garden, some challenges ...

by Skippy » 05/03/19, 10:54

nico239 wrote:but we are in the south and we have hardly any moisture problems.

It would be rather the opposite.

Precisely, we too… No water supply to the garden, so we will have to deal with the collected water. The idea is therefore to optimize water consumption as much as possible: drip literally.

For the rest thank you, it is noted.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 05/03/19, 11:03

Skippy wrote:

Precisely, we too… No water supply to the garden, so we will have to deal with the collected water. The idea is therefore to optimize water consumption as much as possible: drip literally.

Yes yes if you do not have water then drip required ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 05/03/19, 11:04

Skippy wrote:

You have no water at all?
Neither electricity?
0 x
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Skippy » 05/03/19, 11:27

No water or electricity, just a tin roof of about 15 m² on which I have to install a gutter ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 05/03/19, 15:35

Skippy wrote:No water or electricity, just a tin roof of about 15 m² on which I have to install a gutter ...

Ah OK.

It will indeed be necessary to organize the irrigation
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 06/03/19, 08:08

nico239 wrote:
Skippy wrote:No water or electricity, just a tin roof of about 15 m² on which I have to install a gutter ...

Ah OK.

water recuperator and see the side of the solar pond water pumps, or the good old watering can
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Skippy » 07/03/19, 22:18

Moindreffor wrote:
nico239 wrote:

Ah OK.

water recuperator and see the side of the solar pond water pumps, or the good old watering can

I told myself that the watering can would be less economical, but indeed, with the water savings generated by the cover, maybe it is enough?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/03/19, 08:53

Skippy wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
nico239 wrote:
Ah OK.

I told myself that the watering can would be less economical, but indeed, with the water savings generated by the cover, maybe it is enough?

Always water the hay and not the vegetables, so the watering can put a good amount of water on the hay around the vegetable, the drops drops water the vegetable more than the hay, so the earth must be already fertile, but starting from a wasteland it's good on that side
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 08/03/19, 09:25

In terms of watering in the garden, in my opinion and based on the experience of last year, we are often wrong in order of magnitude. A priori, it can depend of course on the size of your vegetable garden, your land, the rainfall and the usual sunshine of your site, the weather of the year, the mode of watering, the litter that you will put etc., but what you have planned as an installation will not be enough anyway to properly irrigate your crops in the long run, I think. The idea is to be able to save what you can in the case of a very hot year. So it's up to you to make the right choices based on what's possible for you.
0 x
Skippy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Skippy » 08/03/19, 15:54

to be chafoin wrote:In terms of watering in the garden, in my opinion and based on the experience of last year, we are often wrong in order of magnitude. A priori, it can depend of course on the size of your vegetable garden, your land, the rainfall and the usual sunshine of your site, the weather of the year, the mode of watering, the litter that you will put etc., but what you have planned as an installation will not be enough anyway to properly irrigate your crops in the long run, I think. The idea is to be able to save what you can in the case of a very hot year. So it's up to you to make the right choices based on what's possible for you.

What do you call “long term”? My goal is basically to have satisfactory vegetable production over a year - it's a rented garden, and you probably won't stay there any longer. Since there is no water supply, I actually have to store as much water as possible to save the furniture in the event of a summer drought, but also that I minimize the water needs (especially the summer, but also all year round).

I'm starting to realize that hay is not necessarily the most appropriate solution for me. Indeed, I would need fifteen bales, even a dozen it already starts to encrypt, and more on LBC potential suppliers are more than 30 km, far too far for them to deliver me tractor, and it n is obviously not about going back and forth by car ... Finally, a priori it is anyway late to benefit from the nutritious supply of hay, and as it is not expected to settle permanently on this parcel, useless to plan for the long term.

So maybe I'll go to the corrugated board instead I think I have enough to cover a lot of the ground already. It is triple thickness, it should hold and therefore maintain the humidity of the soil much of the summer.

This technique seems to have the favor of many people, but I found this opinion diverges (in English), interesting to read as well as the comments (although the discussions there are quite sterile ...). This being the argument of asphyxiation, if it can be heard for bare ground, does not seem relevant in my case.

Anyway, if you have opinions ... : Wink:
0 x