Energy gain and distribution on 2 stages when insulating attics

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Johannm
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Energy gain and distribution on 2 stages when insulating attics

by Johannm » 31/12/18, 21:14

Hello everyone,

I ask for your help because I have so far not found an answer to my questions.

It is "easy" to calculate approximately the general thermal gain of a roof insulation but not detailed by floors and even less with my installation ... Let me explain:

I have 2 floors: ground floor + 1st floor which is an attic

-in the ground floor with average insulation; double glazing and stone wall 80cm.

-On the 1st floor, I will isolate in R7 my attic. (for the moment no insulation has by the honeycombed brick; my arrangement of roof spaces being a domme in bricks built on the floor of the attic under the roof, I will therefore insulate in glass wool of 30cm on the entirety of the domme).
The gain is therefore evident at the level of the 1st floor.

My 1st question is: what will be the gain for the ground floor, (I have no floor insulation between the ground floor and the first and there will now be a performance gap between the insulation of the 1st and the ground floor)

My neophyte answer is that following the insulation of my furnished attic, the heat tending to rise, it will be barely warmer on the ground floor and we will die hot on the floor ...

For the 2nd question (in relation to the 1st):
Knowing that I have just installed a boiler (pellet easypell with regulation via an indoor and outdoor Termostat), the indoor Termostat is on the ground floor and finally, I have cast iron radiators with thermostatic regulator.

The general thermostat of the boiler being on the ground floor, Will I be forced to regulate manually by lowering the Termostat of the upper radiators so as not to burst hot from the top?

Suddenly what real savings if the result of the isolation operation will have been to manually lower the thermostats of the upper radiators ..., I mean the level of general energy gain with an installation like mine; finally at the level of the bottom floor I will continue to heat almost as much, except that by lowering the Termostat from the top my radiators from the top will disperse less heat and therefore reduce the demand for kw of the boiler but lightening in what proportions ... ?

So I ask myself: with the same surface area to be heated, the saving in fuel consumption of the boiler is the same when we lower the general internal electronic thermostat of the boiler (example: following an insulation of lost roofs where we have q 'a floor to be heated) than when manually lowering the radiator thermostats (when you have 2 floors like me)?

Sorry for the block, I tried to be clear hoping to have succeeded ... :)

Good holiday !
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Energy gain and distribution on 2 floors during roof insulation

by izentrop » 04/01/19, 12:54

Hello,
It is possible to calculatethe losses of all the walls. We must also count the losses by ventilation, leak and VMC and also think about air tightness https://www.toutsurlisolation.com/Video ... ion#video1. For the rooms, just close the doors for the night

You regulate your thermostats according to the desired temperatures. The taps close automatically when the wood heating is operational. https://www.energie-environnement.ch/co ... mostatique
0 x