Hedgehog vegetable garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Hedgehog vegetable garden

by Did67 » 12/12/18, 12:50

Moindreffor wrote:
Didier to you to play after, the kitchen garden of the hedgehog, throw you in a scree, who knows you will have perhaps more luck : Mrgreen:

I have one, next to the hut which is at the very bottom, 50 m from the vegetable garden ... There are lots of "habitats" in this place: heaps of wood, heaps of branches, heaps of pebbles, dead leaves, etc ...

Last year there was a "hole"; I bought an infra-red camera to film and "see" what was there - too late, the hole was no longer occupied!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/12/18, 19:22

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
Didier to you to play after, the kitchen garden of the hedgehog, throw you in a scree, who knows you will have perhaps more luck : Mrgreen:

I have one, next to the hut which is at the very bottom, 50 m from the vegetable garden ... There are lots of "habitats" in this place: heaps of wood, heaps of branches, heaps of pebbles, dead leaves, etc ...

Last year there was a "hole"; I bought an infra-red camera to film and "see" what was there - too late, the hole was no longer occupied!

be careful to have a habitat too versatile you may have the most versatile animals, such as rodents, I will see more specific and more massive habitats, a real scree with real big stone, a pile of wood with branches not too dense, with a hole under the pile, ideal for the hedgehog

me next year, I will bet on birds, I will offer me the subscription and the declaration of my garden to the LPO
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 13/12/18, 01:24

Moindreffor wrote:me next year, I will bet on birds, I will offer me the subscription and the declaration of my garden to the LPO

What is that?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/12/18, 08:41

nico239 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:me next year, I will bet on birds, I will offer me the subscription and the declaration of my garden to the LPO

What is that?

The Refuges inscription is simple!
Simply :

commit to respecting the LPO Refuges charter,
describe your land, future refuge,
register online on My LPO space or complete the registration form and send it to us with your payment 35 €
Upon registration you will receive your box * containing:

1 panel to formalize and publicize your Refuge LPO
1 blue tits nest box
3 booklets mini-guides: Natural amenities in the garden / guide Garden birds / guide A hunt without hunt.
+ 1 year of subscription offered to the newsletter Refuges LPO INFO, ie 4 numbers / year.

You choose
You can choose to join alone through an individual or family membership through a family membership.

32 €: Family Membership

23 €: Individual membership

75 € and +: Benefactor Membership

totaling67 €

You benefit
... a tax deduction of 66% up to 20% of your taxable income, membership in the LPO being recognized as a donation.

for any information
https://www.lpo.fr/
1 x
(of me)
ibex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ibex » 13/12/18, 09:03

Good idea the birds, I'm trying to equip my land with nest boxes and red tail. Their consumption of caterpillars in the spring is consistent.
Yesterday I tinkered a furry cage to help build nests in the spring:

DSC01795.JPG

Do not forget the pollinating insects, it is so easy to make them bed and breakfast in our vegetable gardens.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/12/18, 10:05

For insects, before getting "tired" of setting up necessarily hexagonal "hotels", I think that three measures are extremely effective and simple:

a) ban pesticides and tolerate some "pests" (which can be the food of these insects, especially parasitoid wasps); even have a "panoply" of plants which bloom and feed eg aphids throughout the year [from elderberry and its early and succulent shoots to fennel mounted in seeds, black aphids in November)

b) have umbellifera (today "apiaceae") which bloom: carrots, parsnips, celery, parsley, lovage ... among the vegetables and wild carrots, giant hogweed, hemlock etc in the surroundings

c) after flowering, cut with secateurs and "pile" the stems of these umbelliferae near a hedge: each insect will find the hollow stem of its diameter!
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/12/18, 10:12

Did67 wrote:For insects, before getting "tired" of setting up necessarily hexagonal "hotels", I think that three measures are extremely effective and simple:

a) ban pesticides and tolerate some "pests" (which can be the food of these insects, especially parasitoid wasps); even have a "panoply" of plants which bloom and feed eg aphids throughout the year [from elderberry and its early and succulent shoots to fennel mounted in seeds, black aphids in November)

b) have umbellifera (today "apiaceae") which bloom: carrots, parsnips, celery, parsley, lovage ... among the vegetables and wild carrots, giant hogweed, hemlock etc in the surroundings

c) after flowering, cut with secateurs and "pile" the stems of these umbelliferae near a hedge: each insect will find the hollow stem of its diameter!

insect hotels are one of the great classics of national education in SVT, after that it is very commercial and on all it is aesthetic and identifiable
an old pile of branches at the bottom of the garden will make you pass for a feniasse which does not clean its vegetable garden, a hotel with clearly visible insects (therefore badly placed) will make you pass for a responsible and invested ecologist, Ah what would we not do for our "image"
1 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 13/12/18, 11:12

That's quite right :

a) first a business; a lot of pesticides have been removed from garden centers; so to milk the portfolio, 3 types of "products" are sometimes "promoted" despite common sense: the "squares" [come on, 50 euros a square of 0,8 X 0,8; or 780 euros - yes if! - the useful ha; but who calculates ???], "shelters" (nesting boxes - a few euros to a few tens of euros, hedgehog shelters - around fifty euros, insect hotel - same order of magnitude ...), pesticides " organic"...

b) then the "when will we say" ...

And I'm not talking about the contradiction of continuing to mow every Saturday, to have a clean lawn [I do not speak spaces - barbecue area, clothesline, etc ...], so to maintain a desert biological, without interest outside these areas. If it's not the eyes of others ...

Being in my head, already dead, b) does not touch me anymore. It is a chance.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/12/18, 11:20

Did67 wrote:That's quite right :

a) first a business; a lot of pesticides have been removed from garden centers; so to milk the portfolio, 3 types of "products" are sometimes "promoted" despite common sense: the "squares" [come on, 50 euros a square of 0,8 X 0,8; or 780 euros - yes if! - the useful ha; but who calculates ???], "shelters" (nesting boxes - a few euros to a few tens of euros, hedgehog shelters - around fifty euros, insect hotel - same order of magnitude ...), pesticides " organic"...

b) then the "when will we say" ...

And I'm not talking about the contradiction of continuing to mow every Saturday, to have a clean lawn [I do not speak spaces - barbecue area, clothesline, etc ...], so to maintain a desert biological, without interest outside these areas. If it's not the eyes of others ...

Being in my head, already dead, b) does not touch me anymore. It is a chance.

when I got sick, I had a contradiction of wanting to control everything that could be to counterbalance my inability to control my health, then I finally by incapacity any course less and less mastered, but since I visit this thread I went into letting go, my reflection on how gardener without work has exceeded the frame of the kitchen garden to allow me to free my mind and you are more than responsible : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
ibex
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ibex » 13/12/18, 11:28

I quite agree with you on the analysis of the market of hotels with insects, some constructions remind me these hotels of chain located in industrial zone where the customers must take back the car to go to eat. It is fashionable and the real needs of insects are poorly respected.

This is why I only set up "guest rooms" scattered around the garden, near the food sources. It is easy to make them with recycled materials such as logs, hollow stems of different species, reeds, grass straw, etc.
A Roman tile, the wire of recovery (resulting from dismantling of obsolete fences which are dangers for the fauna), stalks of elderberry:
DSC01802.JPG

We can see that some stems have been dug
1 x