Lazy garden ... help

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Lazy Potager's Kitchen ... help

by Did67 » 24/01/19, 13:09

When we say salt, we must understand "sodium": Na+ (the salt being, in the generic name, sodium chloride - by extension, in chemistry, it is the crystal resulting from the association of positive ions with negative ions ...).

So yes, vegetables do contain sodium. But rather less than animals. Soils are poor in sodium: it is extremely washable. And fortunately, because its impact is negative: "smoothing" of the structure ...

Plain vegetables therefore have low intakes. It is during the process of cooking, treatments, conservation that man adds salt. Traditionally: too much! (because it is a very inexpensive preservative!).

https://nutriments.monalimentation.org/ ... gumes.html

Hence the fact that it is necessary to bring a little salt to the animals, so that they correctly regulate their "internal environment". Sodium and potassium are the basic cations of this regulation.

It is not pure pleasure that the Fulani cross thousands of km of desert to get salt plates!

Conclusion: Animals, and humans need SOME sodium. But in general, we have too much in our food for conservation reasons / industry process (and this has worsened with the food industry; it was only very recently that there was a charter and that products become less salty)
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/01/19, 13:09

nico239 wrote:
Did67 wrote:Ah yes, the other one ... (as they say). With Parmesan (we are, with pressed pasta, in the most salty cheese)! Me, no cheese in the kitchen - generally speaking. From time to time, mainly on second-hand occasions, "extras": "organic" Camembert, a bit of blue, etc ... And there, I also take out the bottle of red (I just came across a wine from the south "organic and no added sulphites" - quite honest, I think).

Ah as I said above it is without any salt or sugar added which was very common in my youth.

But of course plenty of food is salty or too salty and we like them: parmesan, ham parma (although they try not to exaggerate as some lights) cod ... yum ... short.

And the pasta is already salted at the origin in their preparation, besides I wonder if the vegetables in the state "natural" do they contain salt?

yes, vegetables contain salt like many other mineral salts, this is also why our diet is very quickly too rich in salt, for example me it was potassium that I should avoid so no banana, chocolate and dried fruit
vegetable sugar often masks salt
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 24/01/19, 13:13

nico239 wrote:
lots of foods are salty or even too salty and we love them

Once again, our past plays tricks on us - as with sugar.

Our body needs sodium, which is rare, our genetics and our eating habits have "integrated" the search for sodium - "it's good!" ...

As in the days of the caveman, the one who stored sugar very quickly and transformed it, had a better chance of surviving than his neighbor, from the cave next door, who "burned" everything ... Today, where there is no longer a winter to survive in a cave, the same mechanism makes ... obese people!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/01/19, 13:14

Did67 wrote:When we say salt, we must understand "sodium": Na+ (the salt being, in the generic name, sodium chloride - by extension, in chemistry, it is the crystal resulting from the association of positive ions with negative ions ...).

So yes, vegetables do contain sodium. But rather less than animals. Soils are poor in sodium: it is extremely washable. And fortunately, because its impact is negative: "smoothing" of the structure ...

Plain vegetables therefore have low intakes. It is during the process of cooking, treatments, conservation that man adds salt. Traditionally: too much! (because it is a very inexpensive preservative!).

https://nutriments.monalimentation.org/ ... gumes.html

Hence the fact that it is necessary to bring a little salt to the animals, so that they correctly regulate their "internal environment". Sodium and potassium are the basic cations of this regulation.

It is not pure pleasure that the Fulani cross thousands of km of desert to get salt plates!

Conclusion: Animals, and humans need SOME sodium. But in general, we have too much in our food for conservation reasons / industry process (and this has worsened with the food industry; it was only very recently that there was a charter and that products become less salty)

salt is a preservative and a flavor enhancer, so historically it has been used as a preservative, and more recently as a flavor enhancer, it was necessary to sublimate the little taste of low-end products, which are abused
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 24/01/19, 14:38

Yes. But the mistake is to think that it is not THAT it. It is a need of animal organisms. There is in our cells, a whole system of "sodium pumps" and "potassium" to regulate the osmotic pressure of the cells ...

Its role as a preservative is high in content, it then blocks the functioning of bacteria, which cannot manage ...

And the flavor enhancer is more precisely linked to the exchanges through the cell membranes ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/01/19, 17:55

Did67 wrote:Yes. But the mistake is to think that it is not THAT it. It is a need of animal organisms. There is in our cells, a whole system of "sodium pumps" and "potassium" to regulate the osmotic pressure of the cells ...

Its role as a preservative is high in content, it then blocks the functioning of bacteria, which cannot manage ...

And the flavor enhancer is more precisely linked to the exchanges through the cell membranes ...

yes, sodium is an important element for the organism, the salt stones that we placed so that the animals lick them, hardly see each other anymore, little one pounded oyster shells for our pigeons besides the small pebbles that it did, it also brought a little salt, because these birds are so greedy that if they were given ordinary salt they could absorb lethal quantities

ah the sodium and potassium pumps, the cellular regulations, only memories, but it's a bit like Proust's madeleine, it reminds me of my studies but nothing more and my good years but nothing more in detail : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 24/01/19, 21:32

Oh, it's the same ...

It was just to avoid the pesky pendulums in the reasoning: since the excess is not good, then it is that nothing must be the top!

We find in the very distant traces of the origins of life: our lymph is a "juice" related, salt question, to the sea. 3,4 billion years later, we reconstitute this initial environment! Mind-blowing.

Note that an perf is a NaCl solution!

Well, in this case, with a "normal" diet, there is always a canned sardine, a piece of cheese or whatever. Or a foie gras at Christmas - shame !!! We are not camels in the desert. Not even weeklies!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 24/01/19, 22:26

you talk a lot about salt, but what about sugars?

It seems that fast sugars are not good at all.

But that white bread, pasta etc is no better. And pastries we don't even talk about. Can some dark chocolate be? just a little square ... can I? ahhh thanks. :D
All this quickly causes blood sugar spikes.
It also appears that potatoes have a very high glycemic index. So don't eat fries (not even Belgian ones!), But even boiled potatoes :(

It also seems that etc ... soon we will have to deprive ourselves of everything: no meat, no cereals because gluten, no sugars even slow, no animal fats, neither : Oops: : Lol:
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/01/19, 08:47

Julienmos wrote:you talk a lot about salt, but what about sugars?

It seems that fast sugars are not good at all.

But that white bread, pasta etc is no better. And pastries we don't even talk about. Can some dark chocolate be? just a little square ... can I? ahhh thanks. :D
All this quickly causes blood sugar spikes.
It also appears that potatoes have a very high glycemic index. So don't eat fries (not even Belgian ones!), But even boiled potatoes :(

It also seems that etc ... soon we will have to deprive ourselves of everything: no meat, no cereals because gluten, no sugars even slow, no animal fats, neither : Oops: : Lol:

Don't panic, 25 years of dietary support behind me, and it's all fashion, it's ok, it's coming
the bread is excellent for health, we will prefer it to wholemeal flour for the fibers, the potato the pasta, it's super good too, it's slow sugar, what is bad is what you put with , mayonnaise (on fries which are also cooked in oil), excess cheese or fatty meat (sausage chair for pasta)

fast sugars, it's your sugar cube, the white sugar in the pastry, etc ... there yes, not too much

chocolate if more than 70% I opt for 85% you can take more than a square : Mrgreen:

so cool, otherwise you no longer enjoy eating and the frustration is worse than a diet not super top because it makes you do harmful excesses
0 x
(of me)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 26/01/19, 10:39

With a little delay!
nico239 »23 / 01 / 19, 20: 25
Did67 wrote: Ah, the French and their contradictions: "Today, four out of five French people are in favor of a total abolition of intensive breeding and a out of three households declare themselves flexitarian."
Vegetarians are roughly 2% of the French population.
It is very clearly overvalued and as for the source, which indicates 2%, it is an estimate which is lost in a nebula, figuratively. 1. Diffuse cluster, vaporous, fuzzy or shapeless mass.
This figure (no more credible than those of Anglo-Saxons, much more open to VG of all kinds than our country conservative of its eating habits and traditions.) Is therefore only indicative, but without verifiable value. [*]
Already, some authors who use this term vegetarian (who do not know much about it) think that a vg is someone who does not eat meat (usually red, but who regularly consume other animals such as fish and other non-plant products, which increases little or very much this figure estimated at 2%.
Regarding flexitarianism, there too he says almost everything on the subject. In theory (because everyone does what he wants) flexitarianism concerns those who usually, generally at home, only consume VGR and who, when going out, or even having a professional or more simply social dinner, consume like their table neighbors , so as not to stand out or provoke discussions, see controversies on this subject.
So all combined (but this is no longer really VGR and even less VGL) it is possible that this figure may rise to 2%. But who is able to make such an estimate?
Flexitarian, by chance, it's flexible as a definition. I must be, I think?
A third of French households have at least one "flexitarian", that is to say an individual who reduces his consumption of animal protein (meat, fish, eggs, dairy products)
in a "purist" way, this is not really the case!
As we can see, the concept of flexi is rather vague, in addition to being inaccurate because it is not a question of reduction in itself (otherwise it is called a diet) but of adaptation to situations outside eating habits.

[*] Americans who love statistics like doing these surveys of opinion and morals and are more credible than in our country where there are no real surveys of morals on this subject. So he overestimated some groups of VG who want to highlight a significant number of participants, organizations of the bidoche who consider these figures exaggerated.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré