Lazy garden ... help

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: kitchen garden lazy ... help

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 00:05

Did67 wrote:Hello,

And welcome!

1) It should then be crushed before unrolling the hay layer on a date which gives hope that it will rain again (otherwise, this dry hay will siphon part of the soil water reserve!).

If we have the possibility I suppose that watering can compensate?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 00:06

Did67 wrote:- if it is already a vegetable garden (therefore "cultivated" land), then it is better to let the leftover vegetables grow, or to sow "green manures" (these are fast-growing crops that are sown between two crops. , and left crushed on the ground - some incorporate it); and then, I put the hay somewhere in February at home ...

I ask myself the (open) question of "permanent planks" (vegetables of course) ... judicious or not?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 00:11

Did67 wrote:The aim is to reduce the amount of imported biomass (hay). In connection with what we have just mentioned elsewhere: perhaps, in the long run, I will drift towards a system that is too rich, bringing too many elements through the hay. With the same risks as conventional (chemical) agriculture: pollution by nitrates, too fragile "doped" plants ...

Interesting :!: :!: :!:

Do you already have an idea of ​​a duration that should not be exceeded for this hay canopy?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 09:32

nico239 wrote:

To each "his" vegetable garden !!! So yes, when we have unlimited water, this argument no longer plays a role and we can still delay "crushing" to benefit as much as possible from photosynthesis with green manures, before the new season ...

Everything is never that compromised, between different settings of the different sliders!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 09:35

nico239 wrote:
I ask myself the (open) question of "permanent planks" (vegetables of course) ... judicious or not?

I think that from time to time, you will still need to "fertilize" to compensate for losses (P, K and other elements) that you export.

When you start from a wasteland, you first have an enrichment phase, to bring your soil to a fertility level higher than that, low, of a natural meadow or a wasteland ...

Then, you just need to compensate ... So there, a few rotations of vegetables, with a "support" by hay, from time to time ...

Understand that vegetables "export" elements (what is in what you eat), where a green manure (or a weed) only borrows them (and restores them during mineralization, possibly under a more assimilable form).

I have not yet made precise calculations ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 09:40

nico239 wrote:Do you already have an idea of ​​a duration that should not be exceeded for this hay canopy?

No.

My calculations on a corner of the table just show that a possible excess of fertility is a possibility that should not be ruled out.

But as said, the soil has a holding capacity. Like a fridge, it can retain a "certain quantity" of elements (with the exception of nitrates, which are leached out).

So once again, it's quite simple but it gets complicated as soon as we look at it!

Apart from the analyzes, plants which are "too grown" (as if they were under infusion of soluble fertilizers) will be a good operational indicator that it is necessary to ease off with the hay. And then, and only then, the use of poorer covers (straw, dead leaves, shredded material) will be able to intervene, without depressive effect (because the stock is enormous).
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 11:27

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:

To each "his" vegetable garden !!! So yes, when we have unlimited water, this argument no longer plays a role and we can still delay "crushing" to benefit as much as possible from photosynthesis with green manures, before the new season ...

Everything is never that compromised, between different settings of the different sliders!

I did not want to talk about a continuation of the cultivation of green manure but, if it does not rain, the watering of the hay which coated the green manure ... : Wink:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 11:29

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:

I think that from time to time, you will still need to "fertilize" to compensate for losses (P, K and other elements) that you export.

When you start from a wasteland, you first have an enrichment phase, to bring your soil to a fertility level higher than that, low, of a natural meadow or a wasteland ...

Then, you just need to compensate ... So there, a few rotations of vegetables, with a "support" by hay, from time to time ...

Understand that vegetables "export" elements (what is in what you eat), where a green manure (or a weed) only borrows them (and restores them during mineralization, possibly under a more assimilable form).

I have not yet made precise calculations ...

Ok ok thanks
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/11/18, 11:29

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:Do you already have an idea of ​​a duration that should not be exceeded for this hay canopy?

No.

My calculations on a corner of the table just show that a possible excess of fertility is a possibility that should not be ruled out.

But as said, the soil has a holding capacity. Like a fridge, it can retain a "certain quantity" of elements (with the exception of nitrates, which are leached out).

So once again, it's quite simple but it gets complicated as soon as we look at it!

Apart from the analyzes, plants which are "too grown" (as if they were under infusion of soluble fertilizers) will be a good operational indicator that it is necessary to ease off with the hay. And then, and only then, the use of poorer covers (straw, dead leaves, shredded material) will be able to intervene, without depressive effect (because the stock is enormous).

Ok I'm not there yet anyway but it's always good to have in the back of my mind
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/11/18, 11:39

nico239 wrote:
I did not want to talk about a continuation of the cultivation of green manure but, if it does not rain, the watering of the hay which coated the green manure ... : Wink:

That's what I got. So yes, if you have unlimited water, you have this extra flexibility ... You can be lazy more. At the risk of being surprised! And as we also need fresh water for the pastis ... This serves to bring the hose!
0 x