The laborious path to my hammock: a superb broncier in the Sarthe

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The laborious path to my hammock: a superb broncier in the Sarthe

by fl78960 » 16/09/18, 00:59

Hello everybody

Short presentation: Since 3 years, we are owners in the Paris suburbs of a pretty garden (with a house in the middle) a few kilometers from the Palace of Versailles. The price of sqm of greenery is shamefully high and our condo policy is pretty ... desperate : Evil:

excerpt from copro regulations

29764994487_b568acb4df_o.jpg
29764994487_b568acb4df_o.jpg (13.69 KIO) Accessed 7835 times

That said, presented in (small) flower bed, I have not yet been bothered by the local militia.

42895131401_b1a321d726_k.jpg

I already posted here or there, telling myself that I could present this garden, but it is not all very interesting, it allowed me to put the fingers in the ground, and to experiment some tricks ( and certainly too much at the same time), including the use of the deckchair. I will come back to it occasionally but it is not the subject that I wish to develop here.

Frustrated by the lack of space, we had been looking for quite a while for a small piece of land "neither too far nor too expensive" to be able to cultivate some vegetables, to go green, and if by some miracle there were some fruit trees it would be perfection. .

It is finally in the Sarthe that this project is becoming a reality, in the form of a non-constructible plot covered with a magnificent 2500 m² broncier, decorated with chestnut trees, old apple trees, chestnut trees, a huge walnut tree chestnuts, pear trees, apricot trees, some oaks and also chestnut trees. In the middle, a beautiful clearing of about 400 m², perfect for inserting a kitchen garden. Cherry on the cake (chestnut!), A cabanon hard (cadaster!), With running water. Around, these are mainly pastures, no intensive crops.

in summary: we had crazy dreams ... but here is the Grail.

But ... waiting for the hammock hanging ... there will be ... work!

30463512678_21ae3393c5_o.jpg

I read the chapter dealing with this scenario. A very voluminous but "light" vegetation, and the area cleared for my visit presented a soil of incredible flexibility.

These supermarkets make me dizzy, I have a lot of work to take back the land, clear the brush, prune the fruit trees, hoping to have a "nice" production from next spring.

In our case, this distant vegetable garden will have to learn to fend for itself, we will spend there at best once or twice a month, plus the holidays, so it will be necessary to plan for "easy", undemanding cultivation, hoping that the slugs don't really know the area : Mrgreen:

Since we will be far away, I do not think of planting, rather transplanting, of purchased seedlings or planting seedlings done at home (but it takes me too much time and space in the house), but maybe is it a mistake ?

I hope to attack this autumn (All Saints holidays) the preparation of the kitchen garden (we wait for administrative delays and the date of signing at the notary is still a big unknown ...).

I do not doubt the possibility of finding hay in the immediate vicinity but I can not know what I have / can do from early November:
- I was thinking of sowing in November an area with beans and another area with garlic & shallots.
- an area just covered with hay waiting for spring planting
- leave fallow and wait for spring to clear / cover and plant directly on.
- a potatoes area: I cover in the fall or live in the spring?

Finally, in your opinion, what surface to start? I guess spreading the hay is not too long, but I have a dog's pain to estimate how long it would take me to manage 100, 200 or 300 sqm of vegetable garden.
2 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: the laborious way to my hammock: a superb broncier in the Sarthe

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/09/18, 01:28

Wow this is a great program .....

I can understand your impatience but I know the notaries slower than the slower lazy : Mrgreen:

Well this said you may be falling on a crack kisses ...

It would be necessary to have an aerial photograph of the ground (geoportail) to better understand its configuration

For the surface I would say that half of the clearing would already be pretty good.
It all depends what you call clearing because if it is the photo below it is on there is work.

As I have a weakness for plants (excluding vegetable garden) I would tend to spare ferns : Mrgreen:

In addition, is there not in this jumble of nursery shrubs or hidden strawberries ... etc in addition to fruit?

Personally I'm less and less adept at transplanting: it's a job and nothing says that what is replanted will acclimatize without care
I much prefer sowing.
You sow and you let go.
Anything that will grow will be likely to be good in your corner.
And what is not good will not push it.
At least you do not complicate life

Not knowing too much your climate it is difficult to advise you for crops but I would tend to say that if you land in this broncier in November my faith apart deposit a mega layer of hay in the corner that you have designated as a kitchen garden and wait for spring there will not be much to do.

But .... as you actually suggest all the bulb plantations garlic and shallot ... Go .....
The beans it depends on the (micro) climate ... I believe less.

In any case it is a beautiful project / challenge.

In any case 1ère task, put a little fertilizer at the foot of ..... notary so that it grows faster Image
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: the laborious way to my hammock: a superb broncier in the Sarthe

by Moindreffor » 16/09/18, 13:06

for me
1) buy a shredder like Didier
2) you brush and you put a good layer on a part in the center of the clearing
3) with all the wood, which will pass in the grinder you will make a buffer zone around the garden, because not to be frustrated from the start it will be necessary to manage the weeds around the garden
then you can spread hay
4) then we will have to fight against rabbits and possibly deer and wild boar
5) start small, 100m2 max, because you will see nature that grows quickly, especially the one that is already present
6) take inventory of the trees present and try to see what crops you will already be able to do, chestnuts it seems to me : Mrgreen: , but maybe hazelnuts, nuts, dried fruits it's already good especially without doing anything
7) think of your future fruit trees, it will be the season to plant them (protect them too) and saw the surface you will be able to put large stems
8) see the water management

good luck
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The hard way to my hammock: a beautiful broncier in the Sarthe

by to be chafoin » 16/09/18, 18:03

Like Nicolas, I doubt the possibility of beans in the autumn in the Sarthe but you must learn in the gardens of the entourage. The bean resists for several days to great cold or frost but it is still a Mediterranean plant. Or you should cover them with a tunnel and monitor, which in your context seems inappropriate to me. This year in Gironde, I had to cover my beans 10 days. The previous year without covering them they suffered 10 days of negative temperatures. They are not dead and have left anyway in spring but severely pulling the face and with a production not zero but quite affected by the episode ...

For the cover of hay or other greenery, I understood that it was better to wait until January in order to avoid a winter leaching of nitrates. Unless you immediately install a winter crop that will use these nitrates immediately, which would seem feasible to me by immediately covering an open area and then planting this crop in 3 or 4 weeks. To see if it is playable with your calendar because you speak of November and it seems to me quite late for winter crops, especially in this corner ... You could on the other hand clear a place and cover with everything that is wood, woody, carbonaceous for a later crop after the passage of nitrogen hunger (see Didier's "nitrogen pump").

Since you will be little I would tend to say, contrary to other opinions, that we must favor a large enough crop area, in order to maintain the benefits of harvests consequent, even if there are losses because diseases or pests that you can not control. In addition in the middle of this forest, you must clear a space open enough to capture the sun. Like this, and without really having the experience, I prefer plants that resere spontaneously.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/09/18, 20:27

I do not want to play ominous birds, but in a space like this launching a crop is really unlikely for this year
so prioritize next year,
1) cleaning and setting up a good layer of cover so you do not have to repeat every time
2) prepare the fight against rabbits, deer and wild boars

in a space so open and in the countryside you do not hope that all this little world will grow anything, so sow in large quantities is giving them large amounts to put in the stomach

for me, in your little vegetable garden in the Paris region, install a frame and prepare plants of things you could harvest during your holidays, salad to cut (oak leaves for example) a few feet of cherry tomatoes, zucchini feet or potted pumpkins
you can run your pumpkin on the roof of the shed to put some fruit in the shelter

try to install a pergola in front of the shed and climb cucumbers
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 17/09/18, 13:14

Thank you for your answers, it allows me to channel my ideas!

First an aerial photo, I roughly plotted the contours of the plot on the google earth image because the aerial geoportal photo was taken in "savannah" mode.

Aerial view lalalande.jpg
Aerial view lalalande.jpg (170.99 KIO) Viewed 7763 times

There we see more clearly the central clearing. As a landmark, we find the carcass of the car (which obviously must start from there!) Seen in the middle of brambles in the photo of my first message.

The road that passes to the north is below the ground (about 2 / 3 meters to the highest, 1 meter to the lowest), the slope on this northern limit a coppice of chestnut trees. If it is not already done, they may be strongly reduced by Enedis because the electrical wires sneak between the branches.

the south of the land is "enclosed" by a hedge of very very high thuja about 4 to 8 meters ... (anyway, the right size for a thuja is with a chainsaw, 5 cm from the ground). But removing the thuja will not allow me to gain light as the house and trees to the south are even taller than the thuja.

Another photo to better understand the level of brush.

DSC02559.JPG

In summary, I think I will focus my end of the year on:
give the cabanon a makeover (there's work!)
clean the surroundings,
harvest chestnuts, walnuts and hazelnuts.
find / prune / rejuvenate fruit trees already present (I must learn).
to plant the cuttings of fig trees that my parents reserve for me
plant a small bed with garlic / shallots
to plant berries (strawberries, raspberries, grapes / kiwis)?

Well, already if I do half I'll be happy!

For the rest, it will wait until next spring:
take advantage of the space available to sow a lot, to compensate for (large) losses due to our absence
do not spread too much, because 100 m², it already requires work
build a pergola to climb cucumbers
to think of animals that could appreciate the fruit of my labor :-)

At home, after 2 good years to grope with my compost, I managed to set up a simple system where I do not leave any plant waste to the dump, everything is cut and crushed to finish in mulch or compost.

For this land, I have not planned to connect to the EDF, and even if we will have a small solar electric system, it will not be sized to run a mill. Maybe, once the land is cleared, depending on the size of the "waste" I will rent a large thermal crusher to be able to reuse this raw material.
1 x
Diabolorent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Diabolorent » 17/09/18, 16:20

No, I only see one thing for you: slash and burn : Mrgreen:

I would shave before the winter to have the least work after at the time of the preparation of the seedlings : Wink:

I do not realize but if you have a north / south exposure the cedar hedge will not interfere. it would be rather the big trees to the east and west that will shade you no?
Anyway you could try the technical 2: direct seeding and sowing in pots at home, to see which is best suited to your days of presence. Then depending on the year (before rainy season or not) you will probably have to mix the 2 because of seedlings without watering, I have already tried, well it does not work terrible : Shock: : Cheesy: unless you put a programmable sprinkler.

Nice project in any case, good luck!
0 x
"It is not a sign of good mental health to be well adapted to a sick society" Jiddu Krishnamurti.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 17/09/18, 22:34

Fl78960, you write:
Maybe, once the land is cleared, depending on the size of the "waste" I will rent a large thermal crusher to be able to reuse this raw material.

In view of the rates charged for individuals and the recurring use that you will have to consider, the option of a small thermal grinder allow you to spread out your efforts and grind as and when: see here the thread I devoted to this question.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/09/18, 01:02

Even if the photos are clearer, I do not understand. :D

On the aerial photo we see a large open space ...

Would it be the one that is now covered by the broncier?
0 x
fl78960
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fl78960 » 18/09/18, 08:52

nico239 wrote:Even if the photos are clearer, I do not understand. :D

On the aerial photo we see a large open space ...

Would it be the one that is now covered by the broncier?

you have perfectly understood: nature hates emptiness!

The salesman told me that he had not set foot on the ground since the summer before (photo taken end of August), he had arrived a little before me to clear about 100 m² simply with his lawnmower ( and obviously a few liters of elbow grease).
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"