My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/02/19, 22:28

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:

Your editor "forces you" to write an ephemeris?

The one who forces me to think has not yet been born. And the one who makes me write what I don't think even less ...

No, my editor would have liked the second book to be very practical, "month after month what to do ...", etc ...

It was nonsense!

I suspected a little Image both that you can hardly be forced and that your publisher would have liked a "guide".
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/02/19, 22:31

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:it is especially necessary to know its climate and to deal with it, not to fight against it, when your season is short planting late is an aberration for example, if too humid make mounds or raised squares as in the Middle Ages where wetlands do not were not on the verge of extinction and not bothering to want to cultivate this or that thing because we love (unless we give ourselves the means) but rather what will grow

As with everything, to think freely but effectively, you need to have knowledge: know your climate (in management this is the case, although minimum temperature stories or "sums of temperature" are not obvious ) and above all knowing the requirements of plants: hardiness, etc ... What I have just written above (or elsewhere) on alliates and photoperiodism, etc ...

We always come back to the same thing: knowledge or beliefs / recipes!

Compost is "magic". Or it's stupid!

This is what I said above, I expect you to give us knowledge and I know that you are on this line, knowing that you have to plant early and that it sucks water, well we adapts we grow garlic on butte : Mrgreen: but that garlic : Mrgreen:

somewhere you said that the radishes lacked in suffering I think
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 07/02/19, 22:43

Moindreffor wrote:somewhere you said that the radishes lacked in suffering I think

and they suffer from it ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/02/19, 22:43

Moindreffor wrote:This is what I said above, I expect you to give us knowledge and I know that you are on this line, knowing that you have to plant early and that it sucks water, well we adapts we grow garlic on butte : Mrgreen: but that garlic : Mrgreen:

And still this is not necessarily true since my three plantings last year gave the same results: bare ground facing south, under the straw in the vegetable garden in the cold and humidity and god knows if it rained during the 1st half of 2018 and in the tall grass buttes.

I will not check this this year since I planted in landscaped mounds.

But it is very likely that next year I will repeat in the humidity under the hay ...

So follow since it would take 4 or 5 years in a row in cold and humid conditions to advance that the garlic is doing very well but strictly nothing has rotten in the humidity under straw in 2018.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/02/19, 13:35

nico239 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:This is what I said above, I expect you to give us knowledge and I know that you are on this line, knowing that you have to plant early and that it sucks water, well we adapts we grow garlic on butte : Mrgreen: but that garlic : Mrgreen:

And still this is not necessarily true since my three plantings last year gave the same results: bare ground facing south, under the straw in the vegetable garden in the cold and humidity and god knows if it rained during the 1st half of 2018 and in the tall grass buttes.

I will not check this this year since I planted in landscaped mounds.

But it is very likely that next year I will repeat in the humidity under the hay ...

So follow since it would take 4 or 5 years in a row in cold and humid conditions to advance that the garlic is doing very well but strictly nothing has rotten in the humidity under straw in 2018.

garlic is said to suffer from humidity, it may not be that bad, you have experienced it, but I prefer not to try the devil : Mrgreen: , so this year, I'm going to cultivate in a normal way, if it rots I will adapt but I will not start by being afraid that it will rot, I am not in a wet meadow : Mrgreen: and with my slope there is no risk that the rainwater stagnates
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/02/19, 18:50

Moindreffor wrote:garlic is said to suffer from humidity, it may not be that bad, you have experienced it, but I prefer not to try the devil : Mrgreen: , so this year, I'm going to cultivate in a normal way, if it rots I will adapt but I will not start by being afraid that it will rot, I am not in a wet meadow : Mrgreen: and with my slope there is no risk that the rainwater stagnates

Exactly useless to seek noon to 14 p.m.

Besides this year mine is in the landscaped mounds ... uh why?

By laziness because it's easier to plant Image Image
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/02/19, 12:37

Météo France announces a week of good weather, I let the soil dry out a bit and I will plant the shallots, onions and garlic, and after spreading the hay on all of this
a little work, the start of the season in the vegetable patch
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 12/02/19, 09:15

Moindreffor wrote:

Crucifers (brassicas today) have higher sulfur requirements. Some of our soils are naturally poor - that's how it is, depending on the geology - and it can then be interesting to add sulfur, with marked effects.

A couple who visited me last spring had this problem of non-sucking cabbage. I suggested trying a sulfur intake. With my wishes, I had the answer: it worked! In that case.

Now, I'm not saying: put S. I say when your Brassicaceae cause problems, either do a (specific) soil analysis or, more simply, do one or two tests "all other things being equal" ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/02/19, 09:20

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

Crucifers (brassicas today) have higher sulfur requirements. Some of our soils are naturally poor - that's how it is, depending on the geology - and it can then be interesting to add sulfur, with marked effects.

A couple who visited me last spring had this problem of non-sucking cabbage. I suggested trying a sulfur intake. With my wishes, I had the answer: it worked! In that case.

Now, I'm not saying: put S. I say when your Brassicaceae cause problems, either do a (specific) soil analysis or, more simply, do one or two tests "all other things being equal" ...

the question would be that putting sulfur can be counterproductive?
too much ash, so too much limestone can be it is it the same with sulfur? and does sulfur stay in the soil for a long time or is it leached like nitrates?
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/02/19, 20:33

well, I prepared the garlic to plant it will be for tomorrow
I put on one side the cloves of the first crown (the largest) and on the other those of the center, I will plant in rows of each kind, alternately and we will see
we are always late, vis-à-vis its own forecasts, but hey once in the ground the work will be finished

if not for Nico, I redesigned my way of doing my sowing, it will be a tray in a box of chocolate rolls, so that I can sprinkle from below and not leave to soak, it will be better than last year ( pictures to follow)
0 x
(of me)