My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by pi-r » 03/03/21, 12:10

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
I do not know very well what characterizes genetically these differences between autumn and spring garlic.

Well now that I try to lean on it, I ask myself the question!

Sometimes the names of the genre distinguish a mixture of habits, both in the way of cultivating and in the way of harvesting / consuming.

With traps, because it is not "standardized":

- the winter leek or the winter Savoy cabbage are vegetables which are grown during the season but which are sufficiently resistant to cold to stay in, ground and harvest during the winter: the true meaning of the word would therefore be "leek or cabbage to harvest in winter"

- winter wheat and lettuce, on the other hand, are plants that are sown in the fall to develop sufficiently early in the following spring; their real name would therefore be "lettuce to sow for the winter"; maximum cold resistance as long as they stay small ...

For garlic, finally the "landscape" becomes cloudy: spring garlic grows even planted in autumn (I have testimonies), autumn garlic still grows planted early in spring ...

almost daily consumer of garlic and onions I plant whatever "comes to hand" throughout the year or almost, when I have a space available and it works!
our production is for green consumption (garlic or onions). for the "dry" on the weekly market there are producers of pink garlic and onions.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/03/21, 08:26

In green, for sure, you have no problem with either conservation, too early germination or even vernalization / rising to seeds ...

I too, for the production of seeds, I put bulbs in the ground: it does not grow immediately after all. There, some varieties of onions already have beautiful green shoots and others nothing yet ... Some were released before winter ... Others, we do not yet see their shoots ... The "rocamboles" (which do not form seeds but stay in place), are already well developed. They are, at home, the fastest every spring ...

For garlic, I don't have that. I only have my "cultures" ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/03/21, 08:27

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Maybe spring garlic does not tolerate very harsh colds as well?

It could be. I have no resistance data by variety!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/03/21, 16:52

today half of "Solaise blue" leek, in the manner of André Abrahami, in a terrine, seed by seed, to follow, and I will make another one with the rest of the seeds of the bag to see the difference in emergence , I still have enough to sow for next year, if it lifts ...

I will soon also sow onions and salads

sweet potatoes, form beautiful stems, I start the cuttings, some show obvious signs of recovery, it is encouraging
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/03/21, 15:38

a small photo of the sweet potatoes, two more cuttings made today
SWEET POTATO 11-03.jpg

and if not, a germination test to evaluate my harvest of leek seeds for 2020, it must be very high, I still wait 1 or 2 days to do the precise count
leek germination test.jpg
0 x
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 12/03/21, 08:51

Pretty sweet potatoes!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/03/21, 09:04

But "etiolated" (lengthening in search of light) ... Without gravity, in this case. We can "segment" the stems and make several cuttings, cutting them by "slices having 3 nodes" ...
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 12/03/21, 09:13

Did67 wrote:But "etiolated" (lengthening in search of light) ... Without gravity, in this case. We can "segment" the stems and make several cuttings, cutting them by "slices having 3 nodes" ...

I still marvel (I may be naive?) To see a piece of stuff that looks like an old piece of root and which "suddenly" begins to grow, like that, above ground!

It's quite amazing for me :)
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/03/21, 10:35

Did67 wrote:But "etiolated" (lengthening in search of light) ... Without gravity, in this case. We can "segment" the stems and make several cuttings, cutting them by "slices having 3 nodes" ...

in fact this is how I practice, the stalk of etiole really because of the lack of light, and arrived high enough I cut the end, suddenly it forms departures at the level of the leaves a little lower, I leave these departures which also wither have 2 small leaves and I cut the end again, and if we look closely, it then forms on the stem of the root buds, suddenly after I cut just above the leaf and I leave a part of the stem below with the root buds and I cut, it protrudes from the ground, the big leaf of the mother stem and the 2 small stems, I put in the ground, up to the point of junction of the two, and voila, like that , it makes me small cuttings
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 13/03/21, 14:16

assessment of the lifting test
out of 20 seeds put to germinate, one rotted and two gave nothing (would it have been necessary to wait longer for them?) good either, that gives me 85% of emergence, I estimate that it is not bad, so as not to lose anything, I prepared a bucket and I moved the germinated seeds one by one in it, covering with a little bit of seed soil

if all goes well I sowed about 210 seeds, I can expect about 180 plants which will emerge, I plan to transplant a hundred in 5 rows, depending on the success I will maybe make a sixth row

after sowing I have a little more than 7g of seeds left all this on one plane left in the ground, or about the equivalent of two packages, plus what remains in the original package, so I think I can make a variety per year, or transplant a few plants to my mother to avoid hybridizations, maybe do that for the onions

there it is Solaise blue (very late winter variety, it only goes to seed in April, May and suddenly it still grows well after winter, early spring), I will buy big yellow Poitou (early variety) for an autumn harvest

planned there, sow the yellow onions in small cells, by 3 or 4 seeds, for transplanting as soon as they have the right size, then in July another sowing in a terrine following the technique of André if it gives me satisfaction for the leeks
0 x
(of me)