My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Doris » 08/07/20, 08:15

Moindreffor wrote:my assistant

I get help like you:
IMG_20200626_130406.jpg

The lazy vegetable garden makes humans and small cats happy too!
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 08/07/20, 10:18

Moindreffor wrote:
if not I observe a wasp which inspected all the cabbages, n sheet by sheet, above and below, I understand the absence of caterpillar despite the presence of butterflies

It will be interesting to see how these onions behave! They are "too big" to transplant them, according to the usual standards ...

In my opinion, they will still take root and since they have not been vernalized (action of cold on development - formation of flowers / seeds), this should work without problem ...

But I'm curious anyway.

Yes, this action of wasps, and ditto hornets, is remarkable ... I came across a nest in ... a punctured balloon and ... my tube mole rat trap! If you don't want to, I pissed them off, without getting stung, however. But I fled at 2 m ...
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 08/07/20, 10:49

Little question that I ask myself as long as we talk onions:
We say not to bury onion bulbs when planting, but we do it well with onions to transplant and it grows anyway ...
Isn't there controversy?
At home, I had buried the bilbils of onions and garlic too deeply, and despite everything everything came out for garlic and about half for onions (I suspect the mole rats to have nibbled the other half).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/20, 11:03

Did67 wrote:It will be interesting to see how these onions behave! They are "too big" to transplant them, according to the usual standards ...
In my opinion, they will still take root and since they have not been vernalized (action of cold on development - formation of flowers / seeds), this should work without problem ...
But I'm curious anyway.

no problem for the rest, I owe it to sicetaitsimple who encouraged me to transplant them, after in the bowl, they would not have changed too much although the largest was the size of a cap while the others were on average the size of a ball

for now I know the yellows have picked up so it should be the same for the reds especially since today it is raining, it will be my vegetable contribution of this year, so we will know if we can let it grow more, and therefore sow earlier to have a bigger development when transplanting
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 08/07/20, 12:21

Moindreffor wrote:no problem for the rest, I owe it to sicetaitsimple who encouraged me to transplant them, .....

Is the trauma forgotten? : Lol:

But as Didier says they are large, they could certainly have been transplanted a little earlier. No big deal, at least you will know and tell us.

And the same for the production of bulbils, you will know. Now the question is drying and conservation until the beginning of next year in conditions that are not really controlled (in the temperature / humidity sense as in a seed tree). You will also tell us.

Case to follow!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/20, 12:39

stephgouv wrote:Little question that I ask myself as long as we talk onions:
We say not to bury onion bulbs when planting, but we do it well with onions to transplant and it grows anyway ...
Isn't there controversy?
At home, I had buried the bilbils of onions and garlic too deeply, and despite everything everything came out for garlic and about half for onions (I suspect the mole rats to have nibbled the other half).

I buried them, because I did as I thought, so without knowing that it was impossible, I did ...
We'll see
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/20, 12:46

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:no problem for the rest, I owe it to sicetaitsimple who encouraged me to transplant them, .....

Is the trauma forgotten? : Lol:

But as Didier says they are large, they could certainly have been transplanted a little earlier. No big deal, at least you will know and tell us.

And the same for the production of bulbils, you will know. Now the question is drying and conservation until the beginning of next year in conditions that are not really controlled (in the temperature / humidity sense as in a seed tree). You will also tell us.

Case to follow!

yes we will see, for the conservation of the bulbils, I have the basement, temperature which rarely drops below 12 ° C and it is quite dry
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 08/07/20, 18:01

Did67 wrote:
It will be interesting to see how these onions behave! They are "too big" to transplant them, according to the usual standards ...

A little in the same genre: when I harvested the garlic, I must have forgotten some, or I lost some, I do not know, but there I saw, that there are stems which grow back, I don't know what to think about it, in any case it is the garlic that grows back.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 08/07/20, 18:21

Doris wrote:
Did67 wrote:

A little in the same genre: when I harvested the garlic, I must have forgotten some, or I lost some, I do not know, but there I saw, that there are stems which grow back, I don't know what to think about it, in any case it is the garlic that grows back.

Let him do it.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 19/07/20, 14:38

this year I cultivated garlic, doing a test
pods all around together, a few inside pods next to them
well indeed the pods inside give smaller buds, but not dramatically smaller, so if you're not obsessed with yields, things go wrong too

I have not finalized my trial on planting summer garlic from my production, but I will do it with winter garlic
I bought 2 heads last year, very nice heads, 12 seed pods planted 10 gave a nice head (smaller than the one bought, but fine) 1 rotted, and 1 split in two, so I will have something to plant for next year

I will buy 2 heads and I will plant the same number of pods of my plant to compare,
0 x
(of me)