My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 30/06/20, 12:27

Did67 wrote:NB: This same "principle" means that it is not useful to "choose" a beautiful melon to collect its seeds - we do not know what the genetics of these seeds are! We just know that one of the two parents had good genes. It increases the luck!

my parents-in-law want to start sowing tomatoes, at the moment they buy different tomatoes in the store and save the seeds, I wanted ..., but ultimately no I abstained : Mrgreen: there are fights that don't deserve to be waged : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 30/06/20, 12:56

Moindreffor wrote:my parents-in-law want to start sowing tomatoes, at the moment they buy different tomatoes in the store and save the seeds, I wanted ..., but ultimately no I abstained : Mrgreen: there are fights that don't deserve to be waged : Mrgreen:

If only you knew a good book that explains this to offer them ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 13:17

Moindreffor wrote:
Did67 wrote:NB: This same "principle" means that it is not useful to "choose" a beautiful melon to collect its seeds - we do not know what the genetics of these seeds are! We just know that one of the two parents had good genes. It increases the luck!

my parents-in-law want to start sowing tomatoes, at the moment they buy different tomatoes in the store and save the seeds, I wanted ..., but ultimately no I abstained : Mrgreen: there are fights that don't deserve to be waged : Mrgreen:

We don't get angry with our parents-in-law for so little !!!

The tomato is cleistogamous: they will be right; the variety keeps at 95 or 98% (well, a very high rate; there is very little hybridization) ... The risk, there, is that they buy "false heart of beef" but true hybrids ! Anyway, print a sheet of the variety "Corazon" to see if they recognize that it is a fake! For example, bet on a quality Alsatian "organic" beer before! The game passes the pills ...
0 x
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 30/06/20, 20:02

About tomatoes mine grow quite well except 1 Green zebra plant of seeds recovered from a fruit. It remained small 30cm in height made 5 fruits but I had to remove them because nothing happened: the plant did not grow anymore, the fruits started to necrose ...
20200625_210901.jpg
I left 1 fruit on the plant

20200625_210913.jpg
Damaged tomatoes

As the leaves are all curled up, small and almost dry I assumed that the fruits would not ripen because not enough photosynthesis.
Is that mildew?
0 x
it depends
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 21:38

Probably not that ...

Since you condemn it, tear it off carefully. Observe the roots: aphids ??? (guarded by ants). Rinse them with water: some kind of rough bark? blisters ???
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/07/20, 12:25

Uncle Buzz wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:my parents-in-law want to start sowing tomatoes, at the moment they buy different tomatoes in the store and save the seeds, I wanted ..., but ultimately no I abstained : Mrgreen: there are fights that don't deserve to be waged : Mrgreen:

If only you knew a good book that explains this to offer them ... : Mrgreen:

given the thoughts that I take in my head with my hay, this gift would serve to wedge a wobbly wardrobe at most : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/07/20, 12:28

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

We don't get angry with our parents-in-law for so little !!!

The tomato is cleistogamous: they will be right; the variety keeps at 95 or 98% (well, a very high rate; there is very little hybridization) ... The risk, there, is that they buy "false heart of beef" but true hybrids ! Anyway, print a sheet of the variety "Corazon" to see if they recognize how false! For example, bet on a quality Alsatian "organic" beer before! The game passes the pills ...

a couple of conventional gardeners who grow smurf tomatoes, I think we will have to get up early for them to recognize anything, yesterday I was almost crazy about sowing beans ...
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 01/07/20, 14:24

So leave them happy as they are ... Or not ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/07/20, 17:47

Did67 wrote:So leave them happy as they are ... Or not ...

I think that at 80 I will let my stepfather live as a happy conventional gardener, I even have a package of Bordeaux mixture that I have left and I will give it to him, it will be like a subliminal sign that this is is not that useful, I will stop there persuasion level
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/07/20, 17:50

Alkaline wrote:About tomatoes mine grow quite well except 1 Green zebra plant of seeds recovered from a fruit. It remained small 30cm in height made 5 fruits but I had to remove them because nothing happened: the plant did not grow anymore, the fruits started to necrose ...
As the leaves are all curled up, small and almost dry I assumed that the fruits would not ripen because not enough photosynthesis.
Is that mildew?

on fruits I would be tempted to say, yes, for me it looks like it, in any case it looks like what I observe on my tomatoes when I accuse mildew, but I also accuse perhaps a little quickly mildew, in any case, in me too the foot would have suffered the same fate
1 x
(of me)