My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 29/06/20, 20:20

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:It is a pollination defect, the flower has not been pollinated and therefore it dies, I often have that at the start of the season when it is still too cold, suddenly, since last year I watch a little pollinators and if it is not very active I cut a male flower and I do artificial pollination, it works rather well

Ah well, it was written!

[At least we are 100% fitting!]

little question with the curcubi
for hybridizations
zucchini what is it with? with melon? Or other?
pumpkin with what? I would say pumpkin? Or other?
and cucumber with what? I would say pickle? Or other?

because to make an artificial pollination must choose either on the plant or on a plant that can hybridize, unfortunately we do not always have a male flower of the same variety on hand
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 30/06/20, 08:55

0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/06/20, 10:04

Doris wrote:A little article on it quite clear:

http://www.lagraineindocile.fr/2012/08/ ... acees.html

thank you Doris, it is indeed very complete, and rather reassuring, after knowing what your neighbors cultivate : Mrgreen: we never know...
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 10:36

Yes. The "problem" often comes from the neighborhood. Because it is rare that we make 36 varieties of melon, or cucumber ...

Only one case is "worrying": the squash / colocynth cross. Coloquinte (European) is just a "kind" of squash, but poisonous. These are gourds selected for their bizarre decorations or their curious shapes. We did not bother to rid them of toxic substances (bitter - if you are given seeds and the squash is bitter, do not eat it). So crossing with squash can result in a poisonous hybrid ...

If in doubt, to find out who crosses with whom, search on the site of a reliable seed company for the Latin name:

- if the first is different, it’s two different genres
- if the first is identical, but the second different, we have two different species: in principle no hybridization
- if the two are identical, in principle, hybridization (therefore more or less easy depending on the distances - or other protections; nets, etc ...)
- we sometimes find the mention "sp" after the two names; this distinguishes a "group", a subspecies, such as colocynths; two "sp" with the same two names are always hybridizable [the cultivated carrot is thus a "sp" of the wild carrot, and the two cross easily, resulting in whitish, thin, tasteless and fibrous carrots]
- hybridization will be the rule among allogams, except distancing / protection; sometimes, it doesn't matter at all: one variety of Charentais melon crossing with another will give a Charentais melon ... Perhaps less precocious. Perhaps with a less "minty" taste ... Sometimes it's quite catastrophic when an important character (precocity for example, if that's what you were looking for; resistance to cold in chicory, etc.) loses. You will be surprised, when your plants which you thought were the worthy descendants of such a resistant variety get knocked out ... [For bad gardeners, the moon remains as an explanation goes everywhere !!!]
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 10:46

"Phenoculture" being tested at the Lycée Agricole de Wintzenheim (near Colmar).

I am delighted to note that little by little, the idea of ​​growing under hay is gaining ground !!!

And just as happy to note that agricultural education does not always deserve the bad reputation of "closed-mindedness" that those who do not know much but judge quickly sometimes peddle! [This was true]

2020-06-30_10h42_04 Sefersol.png
0 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 30/06/20, 10:56

Did67 wrote:Yes. The "problem" often comes from the neighborhood. Because it is rare that we make 36 varieties of melon, or cucumber ...

Only one case is "worrying": the squash / colocynth cross. Coloquinte (European) is just a "kind" of squash, but poisonous.

If I understood correctly, Moindreffor was talking about making the pollinator himself at the start of the season to make up for the absence of foragers, the aim being to fertilize the flowers to produce his vegetables. If I am not mistaken, its purpose is only the production of vegetables and not the production of seeds, hence the idea of ​​hybridizing if the flowers available are not of the same species.

In this case, we agree that no matter the hybridization, even with coloquints, the fruit will not be affected, however we must forget the idea of ​​exploiting the seeds of these fruits?
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/06/20, 11:03

Did67 wrote:"Phenoculture" being tested at the Lycée Agricole de Wintzenheim (near Colmar).

I am delighted to note that little by little, the idea of ​​growing under hay is gaining ground !!!

And just as happy to note that agricultural education does not always deserve the bad reputation of "closed-mindedness" that those who do not know much but judge quickly sometimes peddle! [This was true]

2020-06-30_10h42_04 Sefersol.png

excellent news, we must wait for the rest of this 2020 test and see if it will be renewed for 2021 or even more with more important comparisons
do you have any info on the quantities planted?
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 11:51

No. I haven't had any contact recently ...

I'm going to hunt for news, and take a ride one day ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/20, 11:55

Uncle Buzz wrote:
If I understood correctly, Moindreffor was talking about making the pollinator himself at the start of the season to make up for the absence of foragers, the aim being to fertilize the flowers to produce his vegetables. If I am not mistaken, its purpose is only the production of vegetables and not the production of seeds, hence the idea of ​​hybridizing if the flowers available are not of the same species.

In this case, we agree that no matter the hybridization, even with coloquints, the fruit will not be affected, however we must forget the idea of ​​exploiting the seeds of these fruits?

Thank you for being more attentive than me. Who responds quickly between two pickings - it's the stuffing on the blackcurrant and raspberry side. Right after the cherries !!! What a hassle but damn what is it good !!!

Yes, absolutely, hybridization affects the seeds. And only the seeds. The allegory is in my book: a Swedish woman who has a child with a Wolof (Senegalese) will remain a Swedish blonde. It is the child who will be mixed race.

The fruit has the genetics of the mother, in this case. Only the seeds are hybrid. And will give the following year, a hybrid plant whose fruits could, in the case of coloquinte, be toxic!

Remember: you know the fruit; you do not know the seeds which it contains; these are two things, from a genetic point of view.

NB: This same "principle" means that it is not useful to "choose" a beautiful melon to collect its seeds - we do not know what the genetics of these seeds are! We just know that one of the two parents had good genes. It increases the luck!
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/06/20, 12:21

Uncle Buzz wrote:
Did67 wrote:Yes. The "problem" often comes from the neighborhood. Because it is rare that we make 36 varieties of melon, or cucumber ...

Only one case is "worrying": the squash / colocynth cross. Coloquinte (European) is just a "kind" of squash, but poisonous.

that's exactly it, sometimes at the start of the season we miss a bit of browsers, even a male flower,

for the recovery of seeds, using the last zucchini is more than enough at the end of the season and there we can take the time to do the right thing with small sachets to enclose the flowers
Last edited by Moindreffor the 30 / 06 / 20, 12: 28, 1 edited once.
0 x
(of me)