Need advice ... What settings for a pellet boiler?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Need advice ... What settings for a pellet boiler?

by dirk pitt » 22/03/18, 10:08

I really warn you about changing your pellet boiler to a more powerful one.
chances are it's a bad idea.
in a pellet boiler, it is not like in an oil or gas boiler, it is not "who can do the most can do the least"
a 30kw oil or gas boiler has no problem providing only 5kw
it's not the same song for a pellet boiler.
I say all the more that your diag surprises me since you see it stop.
if it were undersized BUT properly adjusted, it would be "full" at full power and fail to produce the requested leaving temperature.
from what I understand, this is not the case.
I urge you to fully understand what is going on and modify the settings to improve the response to needs.
0 x
Click my signature
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Phil532140 » 22/03/18, 13:32

Hello Dirk Pitt
I contacted the factory in Austria. They advised me to reset the factory settings and to carry out tests.
From what I have just seen: The air volume (in "French" in the translation, measured by the air volume probe?) Would have a value too low ... In your opinion, what comes from ? Clogging? Sealing problem ?
Goods.
Philippe.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/03/18, 14:03

I don't think there is an air volume sensor?

I think the parameters are derived from the fan speed / vacuum gauge ???

We almost agree on the diagnosis: insufficient combustion air volume ... But why? This is the question we have asked ourselves from the start!

PS: I am 1% in agreement with dirk pitt regarding the question of power! Insufficient power can only be mentioned if a pellet boiler is running fully (maximum modulation), without stopping, and then the calculated flow temperature (necessary) is not reached ... This is not not the case...
0 x
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Phil532140 » 22/03/18, 14:19

It is an air flow sensor. Hapéro advises me to clean it ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/03/18, 14:24

Sorry, I confused with another discussion regarding an Okofen SMART ...

This is indeed a serious lead, because the right dosage of combustion air, in relation to the metered supply of pellets, is a condition for good combustion, therefore good performance and correct operation! And for this, electronics must have the right information!
0 x
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Phil532140 » 26/03/18, 04:29

Back from my we investigations:
When you are a novice like me, you can focus on what is not the most important ... In this case, I focused on the electronic management part of the boiler and not on what was wrong with know the kettle itself.
On the advice of Hapéro society, I therefore carried out some tests. The air flow is not large enough. After dismantling the fan and finding a good fouling (of ash), I did a brief cleaning of the upper part of the boiler. I noticed that some seals were in poor condition. In particular that of the fan and that of the door of the heating body ... I did not think that the tightness was so important? : roll:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/03/18, 09:29

Well if: optimal combustion being obtained on a pellet boiler by a dosage as perfect as possible of the amount of wood brought AND the amount of oxygen to burn it, everything is based on good ventilation (and the absence of obstacles on the air circuit). However, the air flows are very quickly thwarted if the ducts are congested, the fan dirty ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 26/03/18, 14:42

I am also surprised that the manufacturers did not include a diaphragm on the air intake to slave the air fan to the flow so as to compensate for the pressure drop variations.
a diaphragm is a simple and fairly reliable element widely used in industry.
0 x

Click my signature
Did67

by Did67 » 26/03/18, 17:19

At Okofen, I don't know if the pressure gauge does not play this role ??? I do not know if the data it delivers are integrated into the algorithm and if the fan speed does not correct so as to go towards a nominal value ????
0 x
Phil532140
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Phil532140 » 03/04/18, 19:01

Good, to keep you informed, the seals are ordered, the annual maintenance will be carried out next week, I will take the opportunity to take a course of disassembly / cleaning / reassembly : Lol:
0 x