Make leavened bread

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Make leavened bread

by sen-no-sen » 21/07/18, 21:09

Discovery of bread dating back 4 years before agriculture

In a desert in Jordan, researchers report the discovery of bread remains dating back 14 years, or 400 years before agriculture. This suggests that it was the bread-making process that spurred the cultivation of grain and therefore the start of the agricultural revolution.
At an archaeological site in northeast Jordan, researchers have discovered the charred remains of bread baked by hunter-gatherers 14 years ago. It is the oldest direct proof of the bread found to date, preceding the advent of agriculture by at least 400 years. The results suggest that the production of bread made from wild cereals may have encouraged hunter-gatherers to cultivate cereals, thus contributing to the agricultural revolution in the Neolithic.

https://actualite.housseniawriting.com/science/archeologie/2018/07/17/decouverte-de-pain-datant-de-4-000-ans-avant-lagriculture/27330/
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 21/07/18, 23:16

Very interesting, but it was not yet sourdough bread
flat bread found at Shubayqa 1 is the first evidence of bread making recovered so far and it shows that the bakery was invented before the cultivation of plants. These data therefore confirm some of our ideas. The early and extremely long production of bread made from wild grains may have been one of the main drivers of the agricultural revolution that followed the cultivation of wild grains.
Although it may well have happened. If they knew how to select the right grain, grind and make the dough, it probably happened that the dough was forgotten by the time a sourdough colonized it and the flat bread will have taken on volume when baked. If the taste was better, they had to try to reproduce the phenomenon and improve it, but from when?
According to a legend, the Egyptians owe the invention of fermentation:

“A Pharaoh's slave forgot bread dough (unleavened) outside. It started to rain and after this rain, the dough turned and swelled. In order not to be punished, the servant nevertheless cooked this dough which for her was spoiled. Oh ! miraculously, the action of the rain had created leaven and the bread thus cooked was bread as we know it. After having tasted it, Pharaoh wanted to know the origin of this dish worthy of the gods. The servant of confessing her fault. Pharaoh then declared that this bread was divine since it was created from the rain which he baptized 'THE TEARS OF OSIRIS'. ” http://www.tiloux.org/spip/spip.php?article3
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 03/10/18, 09:08

Hello,
Bread of the moment, based on integral flour, easy to mix without kneading, not acidic, soft crumb, fine crust, very good conservation.

350 gr of whole wheat flour T150
150 gr of T65
150 gr of liquid leaven (T65)
450 gr of tap water rested.
10 gr of coarse salt

I detail the whole operation:
The water is heated for 1 minute in the microwave
Meanwhile, I weigh my flours
In the lukewarm water, I pour the salt and the leaven just out of the fridge.
Quick mixing then liquids with the flour.
It's easy with 90% hydration.
I replenish the leaven with 75 gr of T65 and 75 gr of warmed water. A little more in fact, to compensate for the losses.

Pointing at room temperature about 3 hours.
A final mixture and fridge, until morning (8 to 10 am, see more) for the bread dough.

Leaving the fridge, the dough is poured into a mold, roughly spread with a spatula, then in the oven for 1 hour at 180 ° without preheating.
IMG_20180921_204536.jpg
IMG_20180921_204536.jpg (160.39 KB) Viewed times 3893

leaven3H.jpg
Refreshed and after 3 hours
levain3H.jpg (85.65 KB) Viewed 3893 times

IMG_20180827_083848.jpg
IMG_20180827_083848.jpg (184.12 KB) Viewed times 3893
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/02/19, 01:14

I always make roughly this recipe every 2 days. Although I program the oven and recover the hot bread in the morning after a score of about 8 to 12 hours and so that the cooking ends 1 hour before breakfast.

A scientific article which roughly says this:
The fermentation of leaven, a traditional biotechnology for the manufacture of leavened bakery products, has been almost completely replaced by the use of baker's yeast and chemical leavening agents over the past century. Recently, it has been rediscovered by the scientific community, consumers and producers, thanks to several effects on the organoleptic, technological, nutritional and functional characteristics of cereal-based products. Acidification, proteolysis and activation of endogenous enzymes lead to several modifications during the fermentation of sourdough, carried out by lactic acid bacteria and yeasts, which have a positive impact on the overall quality of bakery products. In particular, the hydrolysis of native proteins in cereal flours can improve the functional characteristics of bakery products. Wheat flour treated with fungal proteases and certain lactic acid bacteria has been shown to be safe for patients with celiac disease.

Leaven fermentation alters the nutritional characteristics of cereals by
(i) improving the texture and palatability of wholemeal bread rich in fiber;
(ii) stabilizing or increasing the levels of bioactive compounds;
(iii) decreasing the bioavailability of starch (products with a low glycemic index); and
(iv) improving the bioavailability of minerals [32].

Lactic acidification increases the levels of bioactive compounds (eg phenolic compounds) [33] and causes degradation of the phytate, increasing the mineral bioavailability [34, 35].
In addition, lactic acidification also increases the solubility of magnesium and phosphorus [32] and has been shown to be a protective factor for β-glucan in bread. Organic acids such as those produced during sourdough fermentation have also been shown to play a role in postprandial glycemic responses. The presence of lactic acid during heat treatment promotes interactions between starch and gluten, reducing the bioavailability of starch and, therefore, the glycemic index of baked products ... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5302394/
But good : Wink:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/10/19, 22:41

Recipe to start a simple natural leaven that works.
This Recipeis already simple but with less quantity so as not to throw it away (I currently use 40 gr for bread and keep about 50 gr in the jar). No need for honey (antiseptic) or sugar and a closed lid does not interfere with anything and protects against insects. :

You need flour, water, a glass jar with its lid, like a jar of jam.
Whole rye flour is the easiest to start. Bacteria and yeasts are already present.
Tap water is suitable if it has been left in the air for one hour to evaporate any chlorine.
Water and flour are mixed in equal parts by weight for a liquid leaven.
A temperature of 20 to 25 ° is fine, so you can leave the pot on the kitchen table with the lid closed.
When the sourdough has become active, we double the quantity with each refreshment, so it is better to start small:
The leaven becomes active when it doubles in volume 3 to 4 hours after feeding.

day 1: flour: 20 gr; water 20 gr
day 2: maybe a few bubbles, but in general nothing visible.
........ same quantities for the refreshed.
day 3: if there are bubbles we can refresh 50/50

As soon as it becomes active, at room temperature it must be refreshed at least every 2 days with T65 or T80.
When stored in the fridge, you can only refresh it once a week, or even two weeks after a double refresh.

Could be used to inoculate a bokashi ... agriculture / fermentation-lactic-of-a-waste-of-way-of-waste recycling-Organic-and-future-t16033.html # p360835
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/10/19, 08:47

A little vegetable thought by the way: when it comes to sourdough, no one wonders where the microorganisms (yeasts and bacteria) “come from”.

Ditto for those who make alcoholic drinks around the world.

Often, the same ones, in the vegetable patch, recommend that you burn the remains affected by diseases (mildew, etc.) without realizing that the plants are under constant bombardment. I think that as with sourdoughs or fermentation, the spores of the main cryptogamic diseases (particularly mildew) are there. No need to dream of sterilization in your vegetable patch. It is on the side of the resistances that we must, in my opinion, look!

That's just my opinion. I don't have a microscope.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/10/19, 10:12

Did67 wrote:A little vegetable thought by the way: when it comes to sourdough, no one wonders where the microorganisms (yeasts and bacteria) “come from”.

Often, the same ones, in the vegetable patch, recommend that you burn the remains affected by diseases (mildew, etc.) without realizing that the plants are under constant bombardment. I think that as with sourdoughs or fermentation, the spores of the main cryptogamic diseases (particularly mildew) are there. No need to dream of sterilization in your vegetable patch. It is on the side of the resistances that we must, in my opinion, look!

That's just my opinion. I don't have a microscope.
Completely.

A leaven regularly fed protects itself, no need to change the pot, sterilizing it is useless. I use the same pot for years without washing it, only the lid regularly and the edges of the pot scraped with each refreshed with the spatula, the biggest risk is the mold of the emerged materials.

We watch it by the smell, as long as it is tart, everything is fine. A liquid sourdough is rarely lost because it acidifies. After 3-4 days in the fridge, the water is found above and it goes into conservation mode, but the little animals die for lack of food. It sometimes takes 2 consecutive refreshes to recreate a large population capable of gasifying a bread dough sufficiently without too much acidity.

I now use a "perfect" little pot that keeps it under pressure. I only half fill it and put it directly on top of the fridge near the door (about 8 °). I use it directly for bread, even after 3 days and refresh it at the same time.
Remesy method, long fermentation 10 hours reduced quantity (30 gr for 500 gr of flour) https://www.latribunedesmetiers.fr/nouv ... an-remesy/
0 x
perseus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by perseus » 02/10/19, 11:07

Hello,

izentrop wrote:
I now use a "perfect" little pot that keeps it under pressure. I only half fill it and put it directly on top of the fridge near the door (about 8 °). I use it directly for bread, even after 3 days and refresh it at the same time.
Remesy method, long fermentation 10 hours reduced quantity (30 gr for 500 gr of flour) https://www.latribunedesmetiers.fr/nouv ... an-remesy/

Thanks for the link, I ignored this technique and I will try. I am rather on a solid leaven.

Did67 wrote:
A little vegetable thought by the way: when it comes to sourdough, no one wonders where the microorganisms (yeasts and bacteria) “come from”.

In wine, this is a fairly significant question, there are lively debates around "indigenous yeasts" defended by supporters of Natures wines (among others). This term is ultimately quite misleading because if there are yeasts on the grape skins (which come in particular from the intestines of wasps and bees) it is not always (rarely even) that they ultimately ferment. They are rather strains present in the air or already in the cellar.

@+
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/10/19, 12:11

Exact. Another example, these natural wines, which shows that it is pointless to ask the question of yeasts (in this case): they are there!

I do not have the principle, without being able to prove it scientifically, that the spores of the mildew (very similar to yeasts), for example, "are there". No need to burn the OM. However, I cover them with a good layer of hay, in order to avoid the projection of the spores by the rain. Besides, I have a roof over the tomatoes (which are therefore always in the same place, which is fine, one day or another - it may have started! - causing my nematode problems!). Because of course, the living has more than one arrow to his bow !!!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 02/10/19, 12:12

Perseus wrote:In wine, this is a fairly significant question, there are lively debates around "indigenous yeasts" defended by supporters of Natures wines (among others). This term is ultimately quite misleading because if there are yeasts on the grape skins (which come in particular from the intestines of wasps and bees) it is not always (rarely even) that they ultimately ferment. They are rather strains present in the air or already in the cellar.

@+

It's not wrong, the yeasts present in the cellar act, but there are quite a few on the grape itself (Candida, Starmerella, Brettanomyces and other Uvarum).
https://www.gastronomiac.com/dictionnai ... ra-uvarum/
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)