Buying hay to start

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
paysan.bio
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Buying hay to start

by paysan.bio » 30/07/17, 20:43

ChristianC wrote:
Paysan.bio wrote:if I am near the garden, I empty the basket directly there
otherwise I use a big-bag for transport. I put it on my baggage trailer, I fill it.
arrived near the garden, I slide it to empty the trailer.

Yes, well here is the transport solution: stuff a big-bag, hoist it in the station wagon and on the way ... for some round trips.
Thank you for this feedback.

it is hoisting it that is hard.
it doesn't seem like it's heavy.
in my opinion, it is better to fill it in the station wagon.
use cardboard to go from the fields to the station wagon
it's light, the bottom is stable and it empties more easily than bags.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 30/07/17, 22:21

ChristianC wrote:We plan to rent the plot which adjoins the one we already cultivate in "traditional" (if you pass me that term).
It was cultivated in 2016 and left fallow, which produced a "forest" invaded by very tall weeds (more than 2 meters) with thick stems (1cm diameter). This plot, like the current one, measures approximately 100 square meters (5 X 20).

Indeed, perhaps by accepting a few trips from this meadow, a lot of raking, that "could do it".

As for starting coverage now, is it time in July? I had (maybe misunderstood) that it was better to wait for the ground to cool down. By the way, should I mow these weeds, leave them in place?
Goods.

If I understood correctly, is it 100m2 of fallow land that you plan to cultivate?
If I were in your place, no hesitation on this date, all the end of July. Anyway, the 2017 season is screwed up, except weeding and working the soil to do some fall / winter crops (lamb's lettuce, radishes, winter salads, spinach ...). After all, why not on part of the surface, it really depends on your degree of laziness!

But on everything else, you have to mow as much as possible, leave everything in place, and bring all the hay you can from your plot to 5km, while not being hard-pressed either, you have time. Anyway, in the Hérault, it will first dry during this period without decomposing much, on the other hand over the entire covered area it will prevent regrowth (not all) in the fall.

And in the fall, but there I have no experience (me it's Normandy), you must be able to sow / plant in your corner through the hay bean style stuff, peas, onions, garlic ...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/07/17, 00:20

Sorry if I did not respond to the message from ChristianC, but he had escaped me ...
The compression of the hay is an important operation since it strongly limits the transport and, unless it is really very close, it remains essential (especially if, in addition to a spatial shift, there is also a time shift in the 'use).
But other solutions exist, apart from the baler: the "kit", already mentioned; bags and "big bags" means, more manageable than the big ones which are too heavy. It is also possible to replace the manual baler by using a simple box ...

Here is the photo of mine, as a reminder:
IMG0008A.jpg
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 31/07/17, 10:49

by Ahmed "05/06/17, 19:04
On this photo we can see a bundle of which I opened the "slices" slightly; just behind, but it is not obvious, we can guess a furrow and another at the top of the image: these are beans that I have just sown, without cutting the hay, but as I described above, by suitably juxtaposing my hay tiles. I then covered the seeds with compost from the recycling center.

Ahmed, is this the first year that you have collected your seedlings with compost from the recycling center?
are you satisfied with the result

for my part, I tried 2 years ago to cover my seedlings with carrots and chews with 1 or 2cm of compost from the recycling center (after reading Dominique Soltner's book).
it highlighted, among other things, the fact that this compost was free from all unwanted seeds (high temperature rise in swaths) therefore no competition with carrot seeds and chews (long to germinate) at least 1st weeks.

the problem I had: very beautiful carrot leaves but roots that have never sunk into the ground, no pivot, rootlets on 2-3 cm, never seen that!
and concerning the lamb's lettuce, no grass but no lamb's lettuce either. that said, I often miss the capricious chew!
I had a lot of trouble keeping the moisture from this garbage dump which dries very quickly.

and you, what do you observe with the compost from the recycling center?
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
but that was before the Didite ...
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 31/07/17, 11:13

concerning the hay supply, after having used my unused reserve of old hay of 15 years old last winter, I contacted a farmer 6km from my home, (via the good c..n, I don't know if we has the right to quote?).

on the phone, he told me the very good quality of his hay from this spring 2017 which did not take on water during drying etc ... I explained to him what I wanted to do with it and that it bothered me to deprive cattle of very good quality hay ...
he kindly offered me a hundred small rectangular bales (10-12 kgs) of 2-year-old hay that cluttered his attic at half price, ie € 1 for the bale (instead of € 2) ... you're talking if i 'want in !!! I don't care if it got wet (I think I remember that 2 years ago, we had a wet spring?).
Morality: I do not regret having spoken of the phenoculture to this `` intensive '' farmer who did not make fun of me (of me openly, too happy to get rid of his bundles perhaps?) Or so , mentalities are gradually changing ...
0 x
Twandering with clayey and fertile wheat, full of water in winter, cold in spring, crushed and cracked in summer,
ChristianC
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ChristianC » 31/07/17, 16:28

Ahmed wrote:Sorry if I did not respond to the message from ChristianC,
It's done, thank you.

To begin with, we are going to make it "simple" with the "big bags" means.

Your baler is superb!

Regarding the plot is it worth eradicating (by pulling on the root) or mowing? Here is the subject of the offense (not the guy but the type of weed) from which this land benefits:

IMG_3352.JPG
Current weed size

Detail of the adventitia:

IMG_3353.JPG
weed detail

General view of the plot to be covered:

IMG_3355.JPG
general view on the right

Thank you also to the other contributors for their answers to my questions.

(damn: how to put the photos vertically?)
0 x
ChristianC
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ChristianC » 31/07/17, 16:33

sicetaitsimple wrote:
But on everything else, you have to mow as much as possible, leave everything in place, and bring all the hay you can from your plot to 5km, while not being hard-pressed either, you have time. Anyway, in the Hérault, it will first dry during this period without decomposing much, on the other hand over the entire covered area it will prevent regrowth (not all) in the fall.

And in the fall, but there I have no experience (me it's Normandy), you must be able to sow / plant in your corner through the hay bean style stuff, peas, onions, garlic ...

Thank you siceaitsimple! Yes in my previous message in response to Ahmed and to you, I mention this question: mowing or eradicating?

Fall crops yes they are doable here.
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 31/07/17, 18:07

Wow, Christian! You look very small next to your big rod!
I do not know the name of this weed, I have a few at home but they are at most 40-50 cm.
The yellow flower, it seems to me that it is evening primrose also called the `` gardener's ham '' (because you can eat its root, I never tasted it)
0 x
guibnd
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by guibnd » 31/07/17, 18:24

On closer inspection, the large stem reminds me, perhaps, of a variety of chenopod, to be confirmed by other people ...

If this were the case, as the chenopod is an annual plant, I would not break my back to tear it out but I would be wary of the seeds which get thicker from one year to the next!
The root will quietly decompose in the soil ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/07/17, 18:40

I don't think it was lamb's-quarters ...

But beware: these "large plants" are often very easy to eliminate !!! For example brambles ... Those I don't recognize, but don't worry beforehand [there will always be time to do it a posteriori!]

I will go to more efficient therefore at the more lazy :

a) a good brush cutter with a special "bramble" blade [see: https://www.matijardin.fr/fr/1091-lame- ... 4XEALw_wcB]; well all rake and grind ... And leave everything in place ...

b) on top, put a good layer of hay ... [especially in this situation, you never put too much, but often not enough!]

c) 90% of the plants (even if I have not identified) will leave their skin there; if you maintain a thick layer, only a few perennials will have a chance and will take it!

d) in any case, those which will "cross", without identifying them, you will know that they are "perennials" ... And there, you put on gloves and you tear off (if possible with roots) ... If ever it's too anchored and it hurts your back, you help yourself with a fork-to-spade ...

I do not exclude that you are pleasantly surprised! But I don't guarantee it either !!!

Never forget that a wasteland is better than a deserted and clubbed garden to start a good "phenoculture" !!!
1 x