Bilibino, the next nuclear accident ??

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Bilibino, the next nuclear accident ??

by dirk pitt » 16/05/17, 13:59

I was surprised to see that there was no open topic about the forum about the Bilibino Russian plant. (or so I searched badly)
I think this case yet worth knowing because it poses serious problems for the future.
18.jpeg
18.jpeg (36.08 Kio) Viewed 7710 times

In summary, because you will find the rest of the info on the net (a little but not that much):

Bilibino is a Russian village located in the extreme northeast of Russia (beyond the polar circle since at 68 ° north latitude)
A nuclear power plant has been established there since 1974.
Several worrying phenomena cause this to be the next major nuclear accident.
The plant planned for a lifetime of 30 years should have been dismantled in 2004. It has been extended for 15 years but without major changes or efforts ....
This zone is composed of permafrost (ground never thaw) so the studies of soils in 1974 did not have to be very complicated. The problem is that, with global warming, the soil gets more and more freezing causing unexpected ground movements.
permafrost.jpg
Permafrost.jpg (49.24 Kio) Viewed 7710 times

The subject is studied Russian side but classified therefore zero info !!
We know that they try to inject different products into the soil around the plant, especially products that remain solid at higher temperatures than water, I presume.

2eme problem, the dam that serves as a reserve for the cooling of the power plant is located stack above the power plant.
13.jpeg

It is also affected by thawing the ground and may become unstable under the pressure of the reservoir water, which could cause a major flooding of the plant.

Moreover, the photos of the plant show that obviously, little equipment update (especially at the control-command level) have been done since 1974. It's my job and even in our old production plants, there are not many control rooms that look like that.
20.jpeg
20.jpeg (46.07 Kio) Viewed 7710 times

21.jpeg
21.jpeg (62.88 Kio) Viewed 7710 times
2 x
Click my signature
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bilibino, the next nuclear accident ??

by Grelinette » 16/05/17, 15:28

Hello dirk pitt,

We're a bit like someone who falls from the roof of a building and asks "How are you?" and who answers "For the moment everything is going very well! ..."

Unfortunately, Bilibino, there are surely several in the world, and their operators (country and industry) keep well in the publicity.

At our level what to do? That's the question!

Already in France, even if they are known and monitored, and collectives succeed in demonstrating the faults of these old power stations, one can not do much, then for that lost in the depths of the tundra and elsewhere , It is even more difficult.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/05/17, 15:54

Dirk pitt, you did well to open this subject and I reassure you (at least on this point!), I was about to do it, having discovered the fact very little time ago. This plant has Chernobyl type reactors and is in a critical situation to say the least. For the moment, the Russians are tinkering with "solutions" to avoid the worst, but the very design of the whole does not allow any hope of real security.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 16/05/17, 15:57

@grelinette:
Ok but the problem is still very different between bilibino and a French power plant. One can be in principle against the nuclear and fight in France for an exit from this mode of energy production, but however the risks of accidents in France are still limited in the short term with the devices in place. I did not say there could not be any but it's limited.
When we see the conditions of this power plant, it still cumulates quite a lot.
What can we do for this one, surely not much, you and me, but the goal was just to keep you informed.
0 x

Click my signature
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/05/17, 17:04

What can we do for that one, surely not much, you and me ...

Yes, I do not feel poutine Very open to discussion ... : roll:
It's all the same good to be aware, and that such a sum of improvidence can exist leaves one dreaming ...; this undoubtedly constitutes a magnificent application of "methodological optimism"! : Wink:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 16/05/17, 20:04

Ahmed wrote:
What can we do for that one, surely not much, you and me ...

Yes, I do not feel poutine Very open to discussion ... : roll:
It's all the same good to be aware, and that such a sum of improvidence can exist leaves one dreaming ...; this undoubtedly constitutes a magnificent application of "methodological optimism"! : Wink:

I would rather have said: "Methodological unconsciousness" : Wink:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 16/05/17, 20:52

Is not that the same thing? : Lol:
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 16/05/17, 21:06

The Russians want to stop the Bilibino plant when they have their floating nuclear power plant under construction, which is being postponed for commissioning.

Russia's first floating nuclear power plant begins tests, when will it get its uranium?

St Petersburg's Baltic Shipyard has announced that it will begin a series of tests on Russia's first floating nuclear power plant in a move that could include fueling its two reactors with uranium in the middle of a city of 5 million people.

Published on April 20, by Charles Digges

The Akademic Lomonosov, as the floating plant is called, has been under construction for the last 13 years. Its keel was laid at the Sevmash shipyard near Severodvinsk in 2006 in, but the vessel was moved under hints of scandal to the Baltic Shipyard in 2008.

Since arriving there, it has weathered lawsuits, bankruptcy proceedings, property disputes, budget shortfalls and regular protracted delays. When it comes to getting the most out of the Kamchatka Peninsula in November, it will be a decade behind and a million dollars over budget.

When it arrives, it will replace the Chukotka Autonomous Republic by the Bilibino Nuclear Power Plant, which Rosatom plans subsequently to decommission.

Rosenergoatom, Russia's nuclear utility, announced in May that Akademic Lomonosov would be fueled by December. It has not happened, and the utility has stopped stubbornly silent about when, exactly, the fueling operation will begin.

On Wednesday, the Baltic Shipyard announced that it was ready for "complex port tests" and that it would spurred some to believe the fueling will shortly follow.

http://bellona.org/news/nuclear-issues/ ... get-fueled
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 17/05/17, 14:26

dirk pitt wrote:... what can we do for this one, surely not much, you and me, but the goal was just to keep you informed.

In recent days we have heard a lot about Nicolas Hulot as a possible "actor" of the new government ... Moreover this evening the official list of members of the government will be officially presented.

If Nicolat Hulot is part of it, and why not as minister or secretary of state for ecology, perhaps it will be more dynamic to go and discuss with the Russians this Biblino power plant which is a potential time bomb With global consequences ... unless the radiation stops at the border, as with those of Chernobyl!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/05/17, 17:40

We had not talked about it a priori ...

I only discovered the case Bilibino recently also in a documentary Arte ... to believe that the Russians have well hidden! Thanks for opening this topic so!

I think the situation is clearly dangerous and instead of the Russians I would stop the power station immediately (a station is still dangerous but less than in operation in case of structural or flooding problems ...) but Good I'm not poutine ...
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"