The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

by olivier75 » 01/04/17, 21:01

Hello,
I begin my train of the gardens we.
The first two plots 50m2 is the historical garden of the house.
I have taken it from 2011 with a very irregular presence, a we between 2 weeks and 4 months, including in season.
We are now hoping for an all 3 weeks and a little holiday.
The second of 300 m2 started largely in phenoculture in the autumn, without access to water and on clay limestone soil of 12cm.

Olivier
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The lazy vegetable garden a we occasionally.

by olivier75 » 02/04/17, 11:43

IMG_2480.jpg
2th October, 16

IMG_2522.jpg
12th October, 16

IMG_2688.jpg
November 27, 16
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/04/17, 11:49

IMG_2730.jpg
December 20, 16
IMG_2748.jpg
December 21, 16
IMG_2777.jpg
December 21, 17
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/04/17, 12:00

IMG_3097.jpg
13th February 17
4 mars .jpg
March 4, 17
5 mars.jpg
March 5, 17
10 March 2.jpg
March 10, 17
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/17, 18:04

olivier75 wrote:The second of 300 m2 started largely in phenoculture in the autumn, without access to water and on clay limestone soil of 12cm.

Hi,

You had presented the preparations for your new vegetable garden this fall, but I had not retained that it had no access to water.

It seems particularly interesting to me because on the one hand, a bit like you, I am not always present (even if in summer it is very rare that my absences last more than two weeks and that I still have a " help "in case), and on the other hand I think (if I am wrong, so much the better) that the episodes of water restriction could in the future become more and more frequent and / or more extensive on the territory .

Building resilient gardens with respect to water restrictions (or the physical impossibility of watering) seems to me important, it is one of the points that led me to the mulching of the soil before even That I do not discover this blog, because I think that even if it does not necessarily reduce the needs, it at least smooths the contributions by reducing losses by evaporation.

The object is not, in my opinion, to hope for miracles, vegetables need water, but again to build resilient systems where they manage to survive a prolonged dry spell.

You told us I think what you thought to grow on this new vegetable garden, but I confess I no longer remember.

Good luck!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/17, 19:27

sicetaitsimple wrote:
The object is not, in my opinion, to hope for miracles, vegetables need water, but again to build resilient systems where they manage to survive a prolonged dry spell.

In addition, the idea of ​​reducing (in number) the number of waterings, which I personally consider to be a chore in summer given my zero degree of automation (watering as long as it There is water in the collecting tanks and then passage to the garden hose).
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 02/04/17, 19:28

Sicetaitsimple,

Without access to running water, there is a tank of 1000 l on an old mossy roof of 8m2, it should be full this month, and I hope the equivalent of a fill on the summer, 2000 L to the year.
Have already passed the winters;
Aulx, onions, shallots, dandelion.
Have been set up this spring;
Potatoes, beans, peas.
Are planned for the summer,
Carrots, beets, beans, tomatoes, corn, cucurbits.
Are planned in 2e fall culture, winters;
Spinach, salads, turnips, carrots, radishes, peas, green manures.
And I will adapt according to the various successes.
It does not really see but I will try to make permanent boards by letting more or less push the aisles.

Olivier.
2 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/17, 19:55

olivier75 wrote:Without access to running water, there is a tank of 1000 l on an old mossy roof of 8m2, it should be full this month, and I hope the equivalent of a fill on the summer, 2000 L to the year.
Olivier.

Yes, with 8m2 roofing we do not go far ..... Memory, with +/- 70m2 roof and a garden of about the same size, in 2016 early August I was dry in Normandy but with Only 2 * 3001. Well, there may be some thunderstorms that help, maybe it is the case in the Aube.

I think we had already mentioned your permanent boards, I think I had mentioned the book and the videos of JM Fortier, it is indeed a concept that I like very much although it is complicated to implement When there is little room. But if we have enough, it is really from my point of view a trick to study in terms of optimization of work, fertilization, ....
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 02/04/17, 20:33

olivier75 wrote:

Have already passed the winters;
Aulx, onions, shallots, dandelion.
Have been set up this spring;
Potatoes, beans, peas.
Are planned for the summer,
Carrots, beets, beans, tomatoes, corn, cucurbits.
Are planned in 2e fall culture, winters;
Spinach, salads, turnips, carrots, radishes, peas, green manures.
And I will adapt according to the various successes.
It does not really see but I will try to make permanent boards by letting more or less push the aisles.

Olivier.

Winter and spring, it should be fine I imagine if it rains "normally".
Summer, it's a little lottery ... A bit dubious even if you do not really have a way to water.
Autumn winter, must see. Do not forget to make m2 of lamb's lettuce!

The mash is (for me) a great enemy of the phenoculturist! It's so easy to make and resistant in winter! But during that time, the plots are not covered .... Or you have to make the lamb in line in the cover but hey, I understand that even Didier had given up.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/04/17, 22:50

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Or you have to make the chew in line in the cover but hey, I understand that even Didier had given up.

Indeed. I prefer to rake what remains of hay at the end of the summer crop (eg beans) and sow on the fly.

As a result, I get a mixture of mash and weeds, which also rises.

I harvest the lamb's lettuce and ... I iron a roll of hay to control the weeds and knock them down. And in this part, I plant (plants grown in pots), under total cover, which "eradicates" the weeds that had grown up.

It is simpler than reloading in hay and cutting out furrows, before sowing the chew ...

Today, weeds are much less scary than at first ... The more I go, the more I think gardening with (and reducing the external input of hay).

I have since become aware of the fact that a living canopy captures solar energy, produces "energetic" organic molecules, injects them into the soil (via rhizodepositions) and therefore "nourishes" soil organisms. in the rhizosphere. My goal is no longer to have a permanently covered floor to control All the time The weeds, but only once in a while (so that a fallow does not settle) or only when the cultivated plant is not competitive ...

In short, it becomes more complex ... For now, I talk about it rather little because:

a) I already have enough trouble getting the idea of ​​"phenoculture" across (against the idea that the soil should be worked, that it should be clean, or against construction - harmful in my opinion - mounds)

B) I still experiment a lot and prefer to speak only what I'm pretty sure ...
1 x