Debutante

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Marie152
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Debutante

by Marie152 » 07/01/17, 07:48

Hello,
I will move in high marl towards the month of may June with a field abandoned for about 3 years. What to start with ?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
0 x
yves35
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Beginner

by yves35 » 07/01/17, 08:30

Hello,

What to start with? by the beginning:
Agriculture / how-start-a-garden-of-the-lazy-steps-and-tips-t14895.html

to know by heart (there will be controls) : Cheesy:

yves
1 x
ignored: obamot, janic, guygadebois... air, air. We are not (yet) on Qanon Ben, if in fact
Marie152
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Marie152 » 07/01/17, 08:39

Thank you for your answer I had already read this message but the question I asked was more about the period May June so until the fall I do not do anything? Lazing?
0 x
Marie152
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Marie152 » 07/01/17, 09:18

Thank you for your answer but the question I was asking was more about the period. And I'm also a beginner on forums : Cheesy:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/17, 09:44

Welcome among the "phenoculture". We are all "beginners"!

If you find a little time, you can watch a video on Youtube where you will see a plot of tomatoes planted directly in my meadow mown in April, then "mulched" in hay ... (I think in the video "Le Potager du Sloths: visit in July ")

So if there is an optimal way, it's flexible!

It is only for seedlings that it is a little more delicate if the "grass" has not been decomposed ...

What I propose to you:

a) this year, favor seedlings (in small pots; that you can prepare yourself) or seedlings in "boxes" to replant "bare roots" when the time comes

b) mow your meadow, finally the part you want to transform, as soon as possible (failing, mowing)

c) spread the hay as soon as possible, in thick layer

d) in spring, plant directly in there ... through the hay, even if the ground is still "hard" - and let yourself be surprised!

e) next year it will be your sowing area; and you can enlarge elsewhere to plant / transplant
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/17, 10:25

Did67 wrote:Welcome among the "phenoculture". We are all "beginners"!

I forgot to say that it is not a "method" in the sense of "a recipe to follow to the letter".

These are principles, based on the mechanisms of living soil. It takes a long time to appropriate them all ... But in one or two years, it "comes in" quite quickly! Each one adapts to its constraints, its soil, its climate, its situation, the organic materials available ...

There, then, you have to adapt to the fact that you arrive now.

Like last year, seeing that I still had a lot of plants, I decided at the beginning of April, to enlarge my garden. So I planted live in the meadow and covered with hay after ... So I did the opposite of what I said to do. I had excellent tomatoes! Without treating. In a particularly difficult year ...
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/17, 10:50

Marie152 wrote:Hello,
I will move in high marl towards the month of may June with a field abandoned for about 3 years. What to start with ?

I'll go back to the beginning:

1) Is it still "grass" or already "brush" ???

If it is brush, you have to use the brush cutter (like "rotofil" but with a metal disc, for brambles or even young pioneer trees - often willows, birches, acacias ...). Often, in an abandoned meadow, from the second year, the "woody" (brambles, shrubs, young trees) settle - it is the race for light, and the "woody" have an advantage. they exploit: they can increase and keep this investment from one year to the next; they only change the sensors, the leaves ...

So depending on the "material", cut flush and grind and let decompose in place. It's more woody, so it favors fungi, it's excellent.

2) Know that these are the best conditions to start! It is a nature which is not "damaged". Normally you have worms. The structure under cover will be "naturally" good ... In short, the best! Once cleared of the cover, but to decompose on the surface.
0 x
Marie152
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Marie152 » 07/01/17, 11:32

Did67 wrote:
Marie152 wrote:Hello,

I'll go back to the beginning:

1) Is it still "grass" or already "brush" ???

If it is brush, you have to use the brush cutter (like "rotofil" but with a metal disc, for brambles or even young pioneer trees - often willows, birches, acacias ...). Often, in an abandoned meadow, from the second year, the "woody" (brambles, shrubs, young trees) settle - it is the race for light, and the "woody" have an advantage. they exploit: they can increase and keep this investment from one year to the next; they only change the sensors, the leaves ...

So depending on the "material", cut flush and grind and let decompose in place. It's more woody, so it favors fungi, it's excellent.

2) Know that these are the best conditions to start! It is a nature which is not "damaged". Normally you have worms. The structure under cover will be "naturally" good ... In short, the best! Once cleared of the cover, but to decompose on the surface.

There is a bit of everything from the brush grasses a lot of ivy in places of the pines but I intend to keep a part for flowers and "grass" just to go up the slope. I can cover with hay in the summer too or have to wait for the fall. I'm going green for health reasons and I don't know anything about it, but I don't want to do anything.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/17, 12:12

1) So you have to start delimiting areas, especially identifying the sunshine. Most of our vegetables are plants of "open environment", plants of light.

But this is to adapt to each local climate. The Azores are not the Ardennes.

In our climates (I am talking about East, Center, West of France), morning sunshine is a factor which "dries" the leaves and limits fungal diseases (mildew, powdery mildew) ... It is there that you have to install most of the vegetable garden.

2) Yes, you can put the hay in the summer, with the risk that the "grasses" (commonly called "herbs"), in good shape then, do not pierce it! So having to add more in the fall.

3) While waiting (and while waiting for the publication of the book that I write while putting in order in all that I already wrote - if I find an editor which publishes it), to read the thread on the Potager du Sloth:

agriculture / gardening-more-than-bio-by-plant-live-without-fatigue-t13846.html

The essential is there. In a happy mess. But there it is!
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"