EDF has a little trouble getting through the winter

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: EDF has a little trouble getting through the winter

by SebastianL » 11/01/23, 00:12

sicetaitsimple wrote:What did you think of the RTE document on voltage regulation? It looks like you are in tune with:
" t a power plant, 3 villages aligned along a THT line and you may realize that there is exactly the situation that I explained in my first msg before you attacked me. This was intended to highlight the problem of the positive feedback at the level of the injectors and chargers at the customer, in certain places on the network, which gives instability if we do not have reliable data from the input network.

Perfectly, it annoys me to have to justify myself but I entered the energy ecosystem through electrical engineering and electronics.
I authorize myself to leave some anneries in thermodynamics, here must be written somewhere in the constitution that all are entitled to the error, if one wishes to speak and discuss common.
I criticize an overview, not the speakers one by one. In industry it is very common to see very competent operators who are restrained and piloted by "technical" handicapped people, who themselves have very good reasons to act and decide as they do.
It is not a question of criticizing the individuals directly, but of having an overview and denouncing a set that would be non-functional.
If a subject rises in collective discussion, a sort of popular education, then competent people in these industries will have the opportunity to give their constructive opinion without appearing to be pimps. We could ask them the question from the start but the company decides otherwise.
So much for what I think is the source of your aggression towards me.

To come back to the technical point, it is very easy to do power factor correction with modern power electronics, so this whole cos phi thing is absolutely non-problematic and it is easy to be "active" if you gives the + reactive or + inductive setpoint to a battery charger or a network injector.
In fact it's just the problem of power line managers who are looking for the cos phi = 1 to keep an ability to transmit power from A to B, individuals can help with this correction but it's always the same, it you need reliability in the help offered, otherwise you might as well do without and fend for yourself.
0 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 12/01/23, 00:00

Now that the atmosphere is nike, might as well throw some numbers!
concretely we have chargers and network injectors distributed in a district on a LV loop:
Internal regulation rule P_charger = (Ureel x (1 + CoefRILinky) - 200VAC ) / DimmableCHRG
Internal regulation rule P_injection = (240VAC - Ureel x (1 + CoefRILinky)) / DimmableINJ

CoefRILinky is determined by the voltage drop observable by Linky for a maximum current on the local distribution line.
It may be the result of a calculation of the voltage difference presented to the MV-LV transformer and the voltage at the linky level. It can remain fixed if there are few "active" devices. It can be updated at the same time as DimmableCHRG and DimmableINJ for a highly "active" network.
We could have given Utransfo directly and let the active device do the calculation itself, but all it takes is a screwed-up power outlet or a damaged power cable to screw up the result.

DimmableCHRG and DimmableINJ are variable during the day and are controlled via the linky according to a "virtual battery" type commercial offer.
The evolution of DimmableCHRG/DimmableINJ builds a price signal by its history within each "active" device, the user can then decide to charge / inject according to a probability of satisfactory condition linked to the ENR market, while remaining predictable for RTE who will be able to make the same calculation of average "customer" profitability.

2 concrete examples of a charger1/injector1 at the very beginning of the line and a charger2/injector2 at the end of the line, with a delta Ureel of 11VAC (5% of 220VAC):

-> Peak situation, P_charger1 = (225VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 255 = 0.098 (load speed at 9.8%)
P_injection1 = (240VAC - 225VAC x (1 + 0.00)) / 1 = 15 (>1 i.e. 100% injection)
P_charger2 = (214VAC x (1 + 0.05) - 200VAC ) / 255 = 0.098
P_injection2 = (240VAC - 214VAC x (1 + 0.05)) / 1 = 15

-> ENR surplus, P_charger1 = (225VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 1 = 15
P_injection1 = (240VAC - 225VAC x (1 + 0.00)) / 255 = 0.059
P_charger2 = (214VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 1 = 14
P_injection2 = (240VAC - 225VAC x (1 + 0.05)) / 255 = 0.0166

Reserving the value "255", "65536" in 16bit, for DimmableCHRG and DimmableINJ in an "off" state of the loaders and injectors would be cleaner for use.

-> normal situation:
225V at the head of the line
P_charger1 = (225VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.25
P_charger2 = (214VAC x (1 + 0.05) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.25
220V at the head of the line
P_charger1 = (220VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.20
P_charger2 = (209VAC x (1 + 0.05) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.20
220V at the line head with no current on the line = purely theoretical case but gives a real framework for a line current < Imax with a fixed CoefRILinky and shows a slight asymmetry for a current peak limited by the maximum national production.
P_charger1 = (220VAC x (1 + 0.00) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.20
P_charger2 = (220VAC x (1 + 0.05) - 200VAC ) / 100 = 0.31

So it would be possible to have a freestanding network, controllable by RTE and commercially controllable to allow anyone to put their "public" street outlet at work to load/unload an EV. It is enough to communicate 3 slow updating variables and a commercial identification of the EV for invoicing to the owner.
The "smart" power outlet is what can make the economic model of the EV work or not. The pretty public recharging terminal which imposes immense road works is certain death!
1 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 12/01/23, 19:38

I did not insist enough on the particularly slow mode of communication of the linky: 2400 bauds
Remember the AOL 56K modem that made strange noises, it was 56000 baud and we all agree that it was already super too slow!

Once we have said that, there is a notion of network which becomes very important: the broadcasting of data packets.
There are data frames that have only one recipient and those that are intended for all Linky (broadcast).
Broadcasting is therefore an effective method to reduce the use of the network and it is on this principle that I based my "smartgrid".

Indeed, DimmableCHRG, DimmableINJ, Utransformateur are broadcastable, with a single frame for all linky, the whole neighborhood is updated!
In addition, RTE has a really significant power modulation power, both up and down, by directly controlling Utransfo
If Utransfo goes up, the grid injection is automatically lowered, without even updating DimmableINJ
If Utranfo drops, we automatically lower the charging power of the EVs, without even updating DimmableCHRG

In short, it's 100x better than going to drive one by one, the linky to go and light an EV load or a hot water tank
1 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 12/01/23, 19:45

Well, maybe it's time to change the subject:

EDF has no trouble getting through the winter. France is even a power exporter.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/01/23, 20:15

SebastianL wrote:If Utransfo goes up, the grid injection is automatically lowered, without even updating DimmableINJ
If Utranfo drops, we automatically lower the charging power of the EVs, without even updating DimmableCHRG

I had not replied to your previous message, waiting "calmly" for Christophe "I had the time to read and analyze the subject in question in detail".. Well, obviously he's more busy testing ChatGPT and cutting cardboard into small pieces, we're going to skip it.
Apart from the equations and the "linkage", I understood your idea.
But if:
- on the one hand you want to limit at certain times without him having anything to say the injection into the network of the guy who installed a few kW of PV on his roof
- and that on the other hand you want to limit in the same way at certain times the charging power of an EV of the guy who wants his car to be charged in the morning, or for that matter can take charge at any time what time,

I can tell you that you're not going to make friends!

PS: Copy of what I wrote a little above:
THave you ever seen a renewable energy producer worry about anything (losses, voltage level) before injecting into the grid? No, and that's normal, the day it won't stick the distributor or the carrier will tell him. This is already quite often the case for wind power in Northern Germany, but it is "compensated" financially.
Similarly for a consumer, if he has subscribed X kW, he can withdraw X kW whenever he wants. Afterwards, he has the right to be reasonable and not recharge his EV during rush hour.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/01/23, 20:46

Exnihiloest wrote: 

The yarn dates from 2016, it's a chestnut tree, we have to talk about it every year. Well, this year it was a little tight all the same, in any case given the volume of imports at the end of 2022 the bill is going to be steep, even if in fact there were no load shedding. A priori it should stick for the end of winter according to current forecasts.

""A chestnut tree, in journalism, is an article or a news report of low importance furnishing a slack period, devoted to a recurring and predictable event. The topics covered in a chestnut tree are often simplistic, sometimes cutesy."Wikipedia.
1 x
SebastianL
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by SebastianL » 12/01/23, 20:50

sicetaitsimple wrote:
SebastianL wrote:- on the one hand you want to limit at certain times without him having anything to say the injection into the network of the guy who installed a few kW of PV on his roof
- and that on the other hand you want to limit in the same way at certain times the charging power of an EV of the guy who wants his car to be charged in the morning, or for that matter can take charge at any time what time,

Similarly for a consumer, if he has subscribed X kW, he can withdraw X kW whenever he wants. Afterwards, he has the right to be reasonable and not recharge his EV during rush hour.[/i]

- he does not have to make the community pay for his storage, nor lower the profitability of nuclear power. for this he is free to subscribe to a commercial offer that will put him in touch with EV or other chargers. DimmableCHRG and DimmableINJ are supplied as standard by the "transformer" node but the linky modifies these values ​​on the fly to stick to a commercial plan subscribed between different parties. The modification on the fly by linky is of course standardized so as not to have the right to go beyond the maximum current of injection and load: He has the right to reduce, commercially, the current as much as he wants and to increase it 20% for example. If everyone commercially abuses, the "transformer" node will modify DimmableCHRG and DimmableINJ accordingly

- it will be charged to 100% in the morning for sure if he is not looking at the cost of his recharge, otherwise he can say that charging his car to 50% is more than enough to go to work, to connect at work to take advantage of a company solar panel then to return home to provide the 19 p.m. peak in exchange for cheaper kwh at night, commercially.
His "user" choice is made from his dashboard. Obviously one day of departure on vacation, DimmableCHRG risks being so high that his vehicle will be loaded slowly
1 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 12/01/23, 20:54

sicetaitsimple wrote:...
Well, this year it was a little tight all the same, in any case given the volume of imports at the end of 2022 the bill is going to be steep, even if in fact there were no load shedding. A priori it should stick for the end of winter according to current forecasts.
....[/i]" Wikipedia.

It works out:
“Since January 1, the net electricity export balance has amounted to 1,4 terawatt hours (TWh),” the manager of the high and very high voltage network, RTE, told AFP on Tuesday.
https://www.lepoint.fr/economie/la-fran ... 372_28.php

For the chestnuts, I can participate, there are so many antivax and pro-poutine here... :D
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/01/23, 21:17

Exnihiloest wrote:It works out:

Yes, that's settled compared to the situation in the fall, which was quite catastrophic and which justified worrying about it for the winter..
But today there was about 43000MW of nuclear in production, on the cleat, the same second Thursday of January in 2022 it was 48000....There is still work to get back to historically "usual" figures. ..
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/01/23, 22:13

Exnihiloest wrote: 

now yes because the weather is very mild and a few plants have started up again.

We still imported 10 GW almost throughout the day on the cold days of December.

GW probably very carbon, and surely very expensive.
1 x