lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by Did67 » 11/11/20, 17:06

phil53 wrote:... Didier I assure you not to betray your thought and would not fail to speak about your books and videos.

Don't make unnecessary knots in your brain!

a) My books are miles beyond my sales expectations ... And I have a nice lump of butter in the relatively modest spinach from my retirement (€ 1 anyway).

b) Others would make all of this a business. Monetization of their videos, incentive to buy through clicks on their site to receive royalties from Youtube as influencers, Tepee kitty so so nice (we even promise you some seeds in return), training (some of which are zero - I have testimonials) ... Everyone has their own choices !!! What's funny is that they claim to change the world! What's even funnier is that tens of thousands believe it!

c) I only dream of one thing, which is that this vision of gardening more respectful of the living that I defend will gain ground. I don't need a label on it. And the small steps you describe do not shock me - alas, former smokers or former alcoholics will testify how difficult it is to do without an action. And having a clean, straight, tidy vegetable garden is an addiction ...

Incidentally, beyond my life expectancy, if some "carry" these ideas, so much the better!

PS: I only acted once against a usurpation of the expression "Potager du Laesseux" when someone tried to release a book with this title before mine! The book was released under another title and no one ever heard of it! There it was theft. This is another thing !

Since then, there have been real initiatives by real gardeners who come together more or less explicitly, more or less openly under the banner "Potager du Laesseux": that delights me. When there will only be lazy vegetable gardens everywhere, I will be ... Let’s not think about it !!!
1 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 16/11/20, 17:32

This afternoon, a good surprise in the bean seman, I saw a toad.
As I sow through the foliage of the sweet potatoes not yet harvested, I saw at the level of a node of leaves which is rooted a small potato which forms.
IMG20201116143134.jpg
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 24/11/20, 17:46

Carrot planted, I had cut 1/3 of the root. I am satisfied with the result, the root is short but beautiful.
IMG20201124154726.jpg

IMG20201124155003.jpg
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/11/20, 22:41

Ah yes. Better than mine at the time ... Finally I have the impression. They were perhaps bigger and not longer - therefore more "balls".
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 25/11/20, 08:16

Did67 wrote:Ah yes. Better than mine at the time ... Finally I have the impression. They were perhaps bigger and not longer - therefore more "balls".

Yes they are small, about 1/3 of the weight of the largest of those sown on the spot.
I will let it grow to see if it will catch up.
Transplanting is quite stressful for carrots.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/20, 09:35

The first "factor" seems to me to be the (unavoidable) case of the main root. The "bulge" is made on the old part.

And indeed, if the carrot grows so little and so slowly at the beginning, it is because almost all the biomass produced goes to the roots. So forcing him to start the handicap again.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/11/20, 10:53

here we are talking about transplanting bare root, my test of transplanting in a cup gave 2 or 3 carrots long and a short one, because I had transplanted a bare root, I had used jars of honey as pots, therefore quite high and I transplanted quite quickly

Didier's test had given root buns, so the main root having very quickly hit the bottom so to speak, it could not take length, I think that the size of the future carrot really depends on the size of this first main root and that very very early in the life of the carrot, it sinks then fills up during the season, so the success of the carrot will depend on the first weeks and it is there in my advice that the soil must remain moist but not too much, hence the excellence of a sandy soil, the main root can sink easily and as the sandy soil is draining it can easily be kept moist but not too much

the fact of cutting the root during transplanting, so that you have limited the size of the reserve, so a "normal" development but shorter
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/20, 10:56

Yes that's it. Totally agree. Me, it was a seedling plate with small holes (like two fingers in diameter and barely deeper) ... So as soon as the seedling had developed a little bit on the surface (like 4 real leaves - nothing 'huge!), there was already a beautiful bun: the roots had gone around 3 or 4 times!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/11/20, 11:45

Did67 wrote:Yes that's it. Totally agree. Me, it was a seedling plate with small holes (like two fingers in diameter and barely deeper) ... So as soon as the seedling had developed a little bit on the surface (like 4 real leaves - nothing 'huge!), there was already a beautiful bun: the roots had gone around 3 or 4 times!

I think that by looking at the development of each vegetable, we must be able to improve our knowledge on the best way to grow them, for years we practiced empirically what worked very well, but as you point out the disorder climate change the game, and as you often say when it works we do not always try to know why and we reproduce while it works this is what Doris calls following the instructions on the package

So cultivating in the off-season, to avoid summer, is a solution, now it's up to us to find solutions to plant the most and best-developed plants possible at the start of this off-season, because at this time we will run after the light

Adrien's excellent work with his coffers is another way, to expand this off-season, by combining several fields of research we should arrive at something : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/20, 12:35

Absolutely.

Rather than digging, build chests (I put my foot down, tired, but I'm not "against" at all). I just wish that at the end, it would not be rotten at the beginning! But he would only learn the lessons, using more durable materials ...
0 x