How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

by Christophe » 18/08/16, 23:20

I just mowed a large part of my garden which hadn't been in years (oops ...), so I have a lot of "hay" available. I would like to try the Did67 technique explained in detail here: agriculture / gardening-more-than-bio-by-plant-live-without-fatigue-t13846.html

I also have a rectangle of 50 m² well flat, facing south and which would lend itself well to conversion into Potager du Lazy, I'd like to test ...

My first question is this: how to "prime" the plot?

Should we make a first plowing? (I think not but I prefer to seek re)
If it should not be, how should we cut the grass before putting the hay?

How many cm minimum hay add to 1ere year, ie the beginning?

Is the quality of the hay important?

Should it be dry or clippings of fresh waste can agree?

Also there were quite a few grasses in seeds, nettles and thistles in bloom in the part left "wild" for years.
How to handle this so it does not contaminate the new land?

Finally this is the right time (late summer) to do?

From how long can we sow?

And now a few questions for the FAQ to come ...

ps: the answers to all this are probably already in the topic of did67, but it has become a little too complete for the "new lazy" : Cheesy: agriculture / gardening-more-than-bio-by-plant-live-without-fatigue-t13846.html
2 x
Christophe

Re: How to start a vegetable garden Sloth: the steps and tips

by Christophe » 19/08/16, 13:46

Here is the "vegetable" plot in question, I made 3 Andeans with the hay which came only from this plot ...

potager1.jpg

potager2.jpg

potager3.jpg

If it helps to answer my questions above. Didier thank you!
Not on that I use 100% of this piece of land, we'll see the next Didier answers ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/08/16, 16:53

Potager du Sloth: FAQ 1.0 - how and when I begin?

Yes, I think it's a good thing to start over a "how-to" thread. So "how to do?"

1) Must be a first plowing?

No. A breaking, it would be good from a bad start: start a massacre to raise when we want, format them and make them work!

This would put the meaning microorganisms turvy ...

And it would be "to work for nothing", since the earth loosens itself.

In case of need to spend your calories, I recommend doing wood instead!

2) If it is not necessary, how does it cut the grass before putting the hay?

I cut flush: in fact, I pass with my riding mower (yes, I sometimes push the "slightest effort" a little far). But after a mowing it will also ...

3) How many cm minimum hay add to 1ere year, ie the beginning?

There is no difference: you have to put enough to "suffocate", as we say in everyday language. In fact, we deprive of light. And this must "hold", in a sufficient layer, until the harvest of the first planted vegetable. So about 6 months. My experience is that about 20 inches "not too ventilated", just unrolled from the roll, does the trick.

You should not put too much either, otherwise, we will worry to sow. And the air will have more and more difficulty to pass when it is humid. So risk of anaerobiosis. Always remember that all "good" decomposition processes are oxidation of C and H in organic matter, and therefore aerobic. In anaerobiosis, we are moving towards methanization!

4) Is the quality of the hay important?

It doesn't really matter. It is perfectly possible to recycle "old hay", which is no longer very appetizing for animals. Or hay that has taken water and no longer has any value as fodder ...

On the other hand, do not take a "boost" (second cut). The grass is too soft. Not enough cellulosic. There is a risk of compacting and forming "like cardboard" ... We would go towards anaerobiosis.

So if you have the choice: rather "old" hay, in the sense of grass cut rather too late (which is less good fodder).

5) Should it be dry or clippings of fresh waste can agree?

It must be cellulosic. The clippings are not suitable. They ferment, which is quite something else: a living bacterial action, with quick warm-up, leading to liquefaction. Only the bacteria multiply at this speed (a division all 15 minutes is explosive). They also break down too fast. Instead, use them as organic fertilizer then ...

But you can use "old herbs", cellulosic, without going through the drying phase ...

Drying is just to keep it.

6) Also there were quite a few grasses in seeds, nettles and thistles in bloom in the part left "wild" for years. How to manage this so that it does not contaminate the new plot?

The plot is contaminated! Too late to ask such questions. Even if the seeds present do not germinate, in the absence of light, you would just have to "grill" the current cover to see your wasteland "explode" from all these weeds!

So adding the seeds to the hay doesn't change the situation much. Come on, that adds a bit! But as there are already a lot of them, it's not a "real" problem ... "A lot" and "a lot and a little more", that's kif-kif!

The permanent and thick cover, maintained in continuity, will "block" germination.

There are still "perennials" that are already in place: nettles, bindweed, brambles, plantain and ... dandelions! [cited as an example; each meadow, each wasteland, has its own floristic composition, depending on the climate, the soil, the exposure, what it had before ...]. Perennials are plants that survive from year to year. Most of them have an underground reserve organ, which allows them to set off again after winter: rhizomes, fleshy roots ... So thus armed, they will "pierce" the hay. The "blanched" dandelion we eat is nothing else! So there, it will be necessary, the first year, to pass fairly regularly and ... with storage organ. This will become easier, as and when the soil loosens itself. The first season, it regresses quickly. Just do not be discouraged at first. Or believe that it does not work!

Nettles, for example, you have to take gloves and gently pull to "recover" the rhizomes, which are like strings ... The first year, it sometimes breaks. The second year, it will come very generally ...

And after, as long as it is covered, it will remain "naturally enough clean": no lifting of the cancellations (unlike what happens when we hoe, spade, etc: we always "go up" seeds; if we do not touch not the ground, the first 3 cm clean itself; beyond that, it no longer germinates).

Grasses ("herbs"), although perennial, survive thanks to their strain. This one, we "suffocate" with hay. So the grass disappears the first year.

The exception, because it takes one, the bindweed. No form of gardening, not even with Roundup, has a solution. Other than that I advocate: a ruthless uprooting, leaving develop, to deplete the rhizome. In 2 or 3 years of work .... flawless!

6) Finally it is the right time (late summer) to do?

No.

The good time is usually when soil organisms have calmed down a bit and the grass no longer grows.

If the organisms are still active, the hay being wet quickly, will decompose. This will release nutrients, some of which are leachable. It would be a shame to "load" the tablecloths.

When the grass still grows, she full of energy and manages to raise hay, to break it. In winter, nothing like that. In winter, floundering and there she gets choked as nothing. It rots (thus breaks) so quickly.

At home, this is the second week of November. In you in the Ardennes, I situate rather late October / early November?

7) From how long can we sow?

The first year, I recommend planting (seedlings in small pots). It opens a small hole. The plants are ahead and close the airspace ... This facilitates cleaning (alive!).

This can be done immediately. Anyway, before winter is not the time.

Afterwards, I sometimes convert natural meadows (quite "clean"; not wasteland) in the spring (March - April). There, I plant directly.

Otherwise, on boards processed in the fall, I have already sown without problems in spring ...
5 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 19/08/16, 17:09

you can ask questions here, or is it just the FAQ?

(P I would 1 or 2 small issues compared to the post above ...)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/16, 17:30

Didier thank you for the detailed answer!

Julienmos wrote:you can ask questions here, or is it just the FAQ?

Yes questions but only the implementation (what I call high boot so) from the garden of the sluggard!

Obviously some question / answer will be included in the FAQ ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 19/08/16, 17:48

it's just a detail ... Did wrote about hay:

"We must not put too much either, otherwise, we will worry to sow. the air will be more and more difficult to pass when it's wet. So risk anaerobic. Always remember that all "good" decomposition processes are oxidation of C and H in organic matter, and therefore aerobic. In anaerobiosis, we are heading towards methanization! "

and what about when thick layer of BRF? ground wood still leaves less air pass as hay, right?

it may remain damp and cold down there in the spring ... particularly in case of clay soil.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/16, 18:38

Did67 wrote:5) Should it be dry or clippings of fresh waste can agree?

It must be cellulosic. The clippings are not suitable. They ferment, which is quite something else: a living bacterial action, with quick warm-up, leading to liquefaction. Only the bacteria multiply at this speed (a division all 15 minutes is explosive). They also break down too fast. Instead, use them as organic fertilizer then ...

But you can use "old herbs", cellulosic, without going through the drying phase ...

So if I understand correctly, we must not use "small grass" mowing waste, therefore of the lawn type (when it is maintained lol).

To illustrate my "case" a little, here is the reserve of "hay" that I have (rear side, not cut for years: it is hay "contaminated" with grasses and other thistles ...). The plot passed through the Orec gyro-mulcher yesterday (a beautiful machine !!):

foin1.jpg

foin2.jpg

(Photos taken at the time, the light is not good, the actual color is closer to the 2ieme photo)

And a photo to illustrate the difference between lawn mowing waste (still green after 24 hours) and taller grass (already "yellow gray"):

foin3.jpg

I understand that it was the lack of air grass clippings which did not allow the use of lawn waste but a mixture hay / grass should not let bad air ...

Is it possible to mix 2 to boot? In what proportion? 1 / 2? 1 / 3?

I could use this "starter" vegetable patch to experiment ... like a 100% hay, 1/3 sod, and a 1/2 strip? And see what it looks like in a few months?

subsidiary question in one of your last video you said that you let grass strips for certain animal species any hay width recommended you 2 between bands turf?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/16, 19:04

Thin one aspect which I have not thought of my future garden lazy is directly exposed to the prevailing wind (West over its width), and as can blow not bad, it will not ask worries as hay n is not quite packed (the first month so)?

Solution? Put a ballast type cartons and some stones? Worries: it may run out of air? Or so I let (small) bands in the air?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/08/16, 09:55

Julienmos wrote:you can ask questions here, or is it just the FAQ?

For me, yes.

I realize that aside from a few brave ones, no one reads the "big thread" tote. I am often asked questions that have already been answered. There are currently people coming from Youtube to econology, following my videos, and vice versa.

So I think we should take this mess.

I used as one would use FAQ chapters in a book ...

Here, 1.0, etc., this will involve the installation of a vegetable garden ...

Others should come: 2.0 how to sow; 3.0: how to plant, etc ...
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/08/16, 09:56

A lot of questions !

I'm not all put to me, too! This is not to say I do not have an answer !!!

Here, the weather is gray and it does not rain. So quickly out for some subcultures or some seedlings ...
1 x