The death of the "small" Internet for the benefit of web 2.0 giants ...

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The death of the "small" Internet for the benefit of web 2.0 giants ...

by Obamot » 28/06/16, 17:02

There will be what you decide to do with it.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/06/16, 17:22

Finally if you think it was a decision that I made on a whim this afternoon?

Next weekend, next week ... it won't change anything! When you pay more charges than you have profits, the calculation is quickly seen!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/06/16, 18:20

I do not comment on the "headbutt»(I believe what I see and we see what is?)

Your charges, as it stood, you will still have them. I do not know about you but in my corner you can declare a loss, so (if yes, if it works) you will not pay tax. On the other hand, yes, it has been a while since I wondered where the income came from that made the gadget work (even if it was none of my business and it would have been indecent to ask, but it is you who is talking about it. ) I'm sorry it happened there. I only hope that you have no debts and that you had other ancillary resources until then.
► View Text

For the pragmatic side, nothing prevents you from leaving all this in "stand-by", while having a new activity to allow you to bounce back. Because it is always very difficult to start from nothing. Besides the store, you would do well to put it back online right away, because it is still a business card of what you have achieved, if it is no longer online, it is as if it never existed.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 28/06/16, 18:30

le forum econology was more in danger at the time when there was insufficient moderation ... the solution was found with several moderators!

now it is not only the moderation work that must be shared, the administration of the site and forum is too much work for a single person

you never called clearly to find collaborators

by speaking in public about financial difficulties it scares the participants away! what is the use of participating in something that is in danger of disappearing?

to make a call for donations or to seek volunteers it seems essential to me to create a legal structure ensuring the sustainability of the database

it seems essential to me to make a section of the forum reserved for active participants, and hidden from the public, to discuss in a constructive and confidential manner, without giving strategic ideas to who should not
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 29/06/16, 08:39

Well then say, we feel a lot of bitterness and fragrance of settling accounts in it.
Forgive me but I don't understand anything at all, so rather than sending the plates to you, Christophe, could you explain a little what it is with remedial lessons for old dinosaurs:
I understand that the site is (was) your source of income and that this income is generated by .... I do not know what in fact (apart from the shop or there I understand) and that this income generated by I do not know what (the traffic) has eroded because of ... I don't know what either to the point of becoming too weak.

brief welcome clarifications and resentment stored in the back of the cabinet, it would be better for everyone, no!
come on, it's not just the internet in life.
1 x
Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/16, 10:52

The second source of income was advertising ... which is necessarily linked to traffic but not only because it has been greatly eroded by the use of ad blockers ... I launched alerts a few years ago month: bistro / la-advertising-on-internet c-is-the-free-of-content-t14548.html

Yes there is something to be bitter when you see the web that is taking shape, when you do your best to save the furniture and it does not work because some parameters are unknown ... right? Then I don't want all the intelligence developed on the forums... be lost!

But let's not focus the discussion on econology: if Enerzine cut its servers it is because they were in the same situation ... like many other "small" sites ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 29/06/16, 11:00

Hello,

As dirk pitt I learn this news of closing of the shop and more generally of the difficulties of the site, even if it is true, Christophe, several of your messages alerted in filigree of the difficulties of the site.
I also share his remark that bitterness will not bring much constructive things and will put thinking aside from the essential.

A first hot reaction makes me say that the site (the shop) has not found its market: competition, price, products, promotion? ...

The ways of marketing, and those of the consumer, are known to be often impenetrable! (good products or services fail, while conversely, very poor ones are remarkable commercial successes).

There remains the concise and cold conclusion: the "Business Model"from the store was not the right one. There may still be time to remedy this problem by asking questions and imagining solutions.

As for me, like many fans of econology, I often visited the store without ever buying anything ... and I can not give the reason! ... (Conversely, to stir the knife in the wound :x , I happened to order odds and ends on similar large sites, odds and ends that have never served me!)

The econologie.com site, in particular the forum who is the head of the bow (I imagine because I do not know the attendance figures), the basic question remains: "How can the Econologie.com site generate turnover and profitability to ensure its sustainability?

It is the moment to launch ideas, perhaps to advance explanations on the why of the "non-purchase" on the shop on behalf of the unconditional ones of the site (of which I am part), if indeed you feel the courage to continue the store in another form.

Why don't I buy on the econology shop? ... The question is all the more relevant as for most of the projects I have developed on the forum, you offered me products from the store to make these projects a reality! (I think for example of the automatic feeder for my horses for which you proposed me shop equipment... which I did not buy! : Oops: ).
As far as I'm concerned, part of the answer comes from the fact that I don't have the knowledge and experience to get started with the implementation. sophisticated equipment, especially electronic, with the fear of spending hours understanding how it works, trying to implement it, then giving up after several unexplained failures.

To return to site profitability, I have heard of original ideas that seem interesting to me to study. I send them to you by MP.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/16, 11:32

Ok let's study that thanks ...

About the store, I do not want to argue too much about the past, I think I have tried these last 2 years all that was possible level optimization (internet, marketing, new products ...), it does not work anymore ... so what? No thanks, basta!

When we regularly remind several thousand customers by email and there is no impact on sales (which was not the case 5 years ago), there is a fundamental problem which is not linked to a "business model" ...

And in general, I don't think that this is only a "business model" problem: Terra Eco and Enerzine had a team and resources other than those of econology! This did not prevent them from sinking ... this is the basic problem of the current web, the sites are no longer able to balance ...

If the sites of the big newspapers (lemonde, lepoint, lesechos ...) are fighting against ad blockers it may not be that the situation is serious ... don't you think?

ps: about the end the shop is here bistro / the boutique-econological-c-is-finished t14830.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 29/06/16, 11:58

is advertising the right way to make a living forum

for forum pretty big it seems that the ad is enough to finance a good team

at the econology scale it seems that it may no longer be enough to finance accommodation

advertising has a side effect it complicates the site and slows it down if the hosting is not powerful enough ... a site without advertising would cost little to be cheaper to host

how much would it take to create a new version of the forum (same database) without ads?

a version without advertising would not have the same objective: useless to seek to make buz to have visitors who do not necessarily bring back enough in advertising to pay the lodging more and more expensive because of the increase in debit

but not to speak in a vacuum, you have to give figures

alas in France, too often we do not like to talk about money ... it's unhealthy ... it maintains mistrust ... we believe that someone wants to put their pockets in it

I will say once again that I find it dangerous to complain of difficulty in public without giving detailed figures ... if we do not want to say everything it is better to say nothing in public, and create a confidential section to be able to only say to those who are ready to participate technically or financially
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/16, 12:37

Ok, let's talk numbers: I lost more than 5000 € in 2015 ...

As I am in person it is not an accounting hack it is personal deadweight loss ...

Like that some will stop thinking unhealthy ...
0 x