LED lighting on tensioned cables

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
This!
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

LED lighting on tensioned cables

by This! » 07/02/16, 15:42

Hello everybody

After some research on the forum (without success), I allow myself to launch a new post. : roll:

I am currently renovating my living room of 40 / 45m² (7 mx 6 approximately). I would like to light it via a system of spotlights on stretched cables (sconces are also provided to adjust the lighting). In order to limit consumption, I went on an LED system.
In the idea, there would be 2 rows of cables:
- one with 8 spots
- the other with 7 spots.
I plan to put 5 Watts spots but the catch is that I can't find a transformer capable of supporting this type of installation. At Paulmann (not to mention them), they only offer 36 VA LED transformers with ready-made kits of 5 spots. If I understood correctly, 36 VA corresponds to a maximum of 36 W (while keeping a safety margin) .... Yes, I know, I am a ball in electricity !!! : Oops:

What is it really like? Do you know led transformers capable of supporting this type of wiring?
Since I want to "hide" my transformers, I would like to avoid an installation with 4 transformers ...

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Céline
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: LED lighting on tensioned cables

by Forhorse » 07/02/16, 16:57

You don't need a transformer (even if a lot of shops sell that under this name it's an abuse of language which is totally technically incorrect)
What is needed is a stabilized power supply, usually with a voltage of 12V
Not necessarily "special LED" (that does not mean anything, a power supply for LED is a very specific current source that has nothing to do with the power supplies sold in the trade)
In short, any properly regulated 12V continuous power supply with sufficient power will do the trick (more powerful is better, but not too much, if you need 55W you take 60W, no need to take 150W it would pay for nothing, and bad for the performance of the installation)
0 x
This!
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by This! » 07/02/16, 22:38

Thanks a lot for your answer. What speed !! :D
I am reassured to see that there can be a solution to operate 8 spots of 5 W on stretched cables.

Can you confirm that with the type of power supply you mentioned, can I worry-free operate my installation? Because by calling a reseller, he let me imply that the LED kits were very specific and that my problem was unresolved (apart from installing 4 rails of 4 spots or choosing a halogen kit and transforming each led bulb).

Thanks again.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/16, 00:52

Your messages have been moderated: why look elsewhere for what is on the forums and who can bring econology to life ???

https://www.econologie.com/shop/aliment ... teurs-c-59
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/02/16, 00:55

Hi,
The 12 V LEDs are supplied with voltage because they incorporate current limiting resistors.
If you want to power 2 X 8 5 W spots, you buy the power separately https://www.econologie.com/shop/aliment ... p-303.html

Oupss grilled!
Not seen the store link on the forum ?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/16, 01:02

No worries izentrop, you made the right choice ...;)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/02/16, 01:07

Other than in your signature, no shop link on this page?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/02/16, 01:29

Not yet no ... I'm going to put a menu in the header shortly ... probably during the week?

Because it's a shame that regulars like Forhorse are not aware of the products in the store that brings this forum... :?
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/02/16, 06:50

The problem with your shop is that you sell everything and anything there without a real "core business" and suddenly we don't really know what we're going to find there (or not)
When I'm looking for something specific and I know where I'm going to find it for sure, I go to a site I know.
Also on your shop there is nothing between 35 and 100W
If it is to power 50W of spot, putting a 100W power supply is wasteful.
It is already more expensive, and then a switching power supply like that of these "transformers" has better efficiency and better regulation when it is close to 100% load.
0 x
This!
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by This! » 08/02/16, 06:56

Sorry for the competition link dumpling ... I'll be careful next time!
Thank you for your responses and your help !
0 x