The latest figures and weather consequences of global warming

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The latest figures and weather consequences of global warming

by izentrop » 26/04/22, 11:44

ABC2019 wrote:the graph of global warming does not even have an ordinate axis, it is a shame for a scientist!
You nitpick on trifles : roll:
The graphs are intended for the general public, the trend is clearly visible, that's what counts...
and the limit values ​​are indicated, nothing prevents you from recreating the ordinate. :P
Image https://scottduncanwx.com/
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 26/04/22, 12:09

izentrop wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:the graph of global warming does not even have an ordinate axis, it is a shame for a scientist!
You nitpick on trifles : roll:

so I repeat: I did not say that there was no trend. I said I did not see what catastrophic messages bring which are in fact only based on local meteorological fluctuations, used in an opportunistic way (forgetting the cold anomaly which is right next to it), of the type of that reported by JMJ, compared to statistical data over long periods.

I don't speak French well enough? what don't you understand?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 26/04/22, 12:15

ABC2019 wrote:... used opportunistically (forgetting the cold anomaly which is right next to it), of the type reported by JMJ, in relation to statistical data over long periods.

I understand very well that you choose to insist on the insignificant anomaly to deny the essential... Let's say a little less than before, there is progress : Mrgreen:
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 26/04/22, 12:24

izentrop wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:... used opportunistically (forgetting the cold anomaly which is right next to it), of the type reported by JMJ, in relation to statistical data over long periods.

I understand very well that you choose to insist on the insignificant anomaly to deny the essential... Let's say a little less than before, there is progress : Mrgreen:

so you don't understand. I did not "insist on the insignificant anomaly" (if "insignificant" is taken in the scientific sense of "without statistical significance", that would be wrong, it IS statistically significant, of the order of 1°C).

I said that commenting on a weather record that happened somewhere on earth (which is a method notoriously subject to a selection bias, the "look elsewhere" effect, ie we look at a lot of data by then selecting those which have a statistical difference that suits us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look-elsewhere_effect ) , it added nothing to this measure of trend.

I don't know how to say it in French any better than that for you to understand.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/22, 18:38

By chance, I came across this 2021 survey of "climate skepticism" around the world. It's not uninteresting.

https://www.climato-realistes.fr/plus-d ... selon-edf/

At the end of the page, you have links to the study itself with the results by country, etc.
1 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 26/04/22, 19:06

sicetaitsimple wrote:By chance, I came across this 2021 survey of "climate skepticism" around the world. It's not uninteresting.

https://www.climato-realistes.fr/plus-d ... selon-edf/

At the end of the page, you have links to the study itself with the results by country, etc.

interesting but to put the points on the i, on the criterion "there is a global warming due to human activity", I am NOT climatosceptic :)
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 26/04/22, 19:16

ABC2019 wrote:interesting but to put the points on the i, on the criterion "there is a global warming due to human activity", I am NOT climatosceptic :)

My post wasn't directed specifically at you or anyone in particular.
Well, you have the right to react as you do, but that was not the objective.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/05/22, 14:22

A few weeks ago I spoke of heat waves at 45-50°C by 2025-2030 in Europe...

The current heat wave of April 2022 in India already exceeds 50°C!

heatwave_india_2022.jpg

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/05/22, 10:08

A good summary article on the current heat waves in India and Pakistan: https://bonpote.com/canicules-mortelles ... -le-debut/

"Deadly heat waves in India and Pakistan: this is only the beginning", by Bon Pote, with in particular an inventory (to date) of 5 consequences:
Consequence 1: the “wet bulb temperature”
Consequence 2: work… and health
Consequence 3: agriculture
Consequence 4: relaunch of coal production or blackout
Consequence 5: the combined effects

The final word

One cannot be clearer than Christophe Cassou, lead author of the latest IPCC report, when he states that "We are living a foretaste of our climate future. So that the exceptional does not become the norm, we must reduce our greenhouse gas emissions immediately, sustained over time and in all sectors... Not in 3 years now!"

In addition to lower emissions, adaptation will play an absolutely central role in the coming years and decades to come. It is too late to think that emissions mitigation is enough. But this should not make us forget the very strong feeling of climatic injustice of what is currently happening in India and Pakistan. This is what Chandni Singh , lead author of the latest IPCC report, reminds us: "historic emitters of greenhouse gases must redouble their efforts because, in countries like India and Pakistan, we are really reaching the limits adaptation to heat. Remember that India represents barely 3% of historical emissions, and Pakistan less than 1%. These countries pay and will pay, among other things, for the excesses of the countries of the North, as well as the selfish and socially unjust decisions of their respective leaders.

I would like to conclude this article with a question. I don't have the impression that a majority of French people realize that we are making regions of the world already uninhabitable, when we are only +1.1°C from global warming. Do you really want to see what a +2°C world looks like?
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 17/05/22, 11:59

I wonder about the notion of "uninhabitable region" anyway .... : Shock:

0 x