Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Biobomb » 27/07/21, 22:58

Julienmos wrote:ditto, reddening of my first two (from Montfavet).

Old variety that keeps the odds. Do you have them outdoors, without mildew?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 00:00

Biobombe wrote:
Old variety that keeps the odds. Do you have them outdoors, without mildew?

La Montfavet is the first modern selection !!! From the INRA station in Montfavet, near Avignon. It is the beginning of a line of "modern" tomatoes for intensive production.

It is an HF1, which indeed has interesting resistances (Verticillium).

https://www.graines-baumaux.fr/170275-t ... -63-5.html

Completely "zany" classified among the "old varieties" - or else everything is "old", even the first hybrids (also criticized by certain "organic" supporters, including the "militants" of old varieties ...). .?

But the term "old variety" not being defined, we can say that the hybrids of the 80s are old varieties (some of which still exist). This is absolutely correct. And so old varieties would not be old varieties (generally used as a synonym of "reproducible", therefore stable varieties)?
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 28/07/21, 00:19

It is topical for some so ...

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 09:51

Strongly that I finish mine, where I show that I do not give up! (although I don't know how this will end)

But it's good that some "enchanters" admit "limits" to their "method" !!!
1 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 28/07/21, 10:22

I did not watch, but I am surprised: he is not a professional gardener in the marvelous garden? With 100% of losses, it is problematic no ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 28/07/21, 11:40

Did67 wrote:Strongly that I finish mine, where I show that I do not give up! (although I don't know how this will end)

This situation makes me very curious about the outcome. I did not give up, I see that the plants are reacting, to follow. But this year makes me all the more curious, as I am trying to grow crops, which are difficult here, and without effort. For the first time I succeeded with the kohlrabi, the Brussels sprouts are magnificent, the celeriacs are getting bigger, the tomatoes this year is a bit of work, laziness is on the side of the cabbage, turnip and celery.
Something that appeals to me: I left endive roots in the ground from last year, which did not grow much in 2020. Two rose in flower, three or four others continue to grow, making leaves, the root thickens .... I do not understand too much. Another similar observation: I left some grumolo verde roots in the ground, which made salads, which I harvested, first time, then second, then last week a third time, and there I see that its still grows back. Doesn't it stop at some point? It's almost like a perennial vegetable.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 28/07/21, 12:04

Did67 wrote:Strongly that I finish mine, where I show that I do not give up! (although I don't know how this will end)

But it's good that some "enchanters" admit "limits" to their "method" !!!

Am looking at your current one but I haven't finished ...

This morning 1st cover of the chests of tomatoes
Heavy rain at the end of the day yesterday (chests open)
And a little fine rain this morning
I didn't close them but just unrolled the soft frame on top, leaving the front open

I have odds and ends on the lower leaves, for the moment nothing very bad but there at the end of July it should be: close the ban

In previous years it was all open all the time day and night: not great
Last year closed at night and closed when it rained

This year closed at night and open to rain until the end of July.

To be continued because the rest of the weather may possibly change the process
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 12:16

Rajqawee wrote:I did not watch, but I am surprised: he is not a professional gardener in the marvelous garden? With 100% of losses, it is problematic no ...

I think that like many, he has additional income, linked to training?

And anyway, if some vegetables are very affected or even wiped out, others are doing like charms ... As long as with a "niche production" (perma, proximity, organic), with a certain charisma , it is not subject to the game of competition, this is not a problem.

These are the unfortunate "main stream" producers, conventional or organic, who have "tight" budgets, possibly debts to repay, employees to pay ... And there, the margins are low. And an "accident" very quickly leads to bankruptcy.

The alternative models do not have these constraints: self-construction (often with a lot of "free" woofing trainees, recovery materials, etc.) therefore no debts, very few inputs (therefore little "down payment" before harvest). They are therefore very resilient.

The only "problem": one feeds 99,9% of French people (probably more!), The other goes in the media, on TV, on Youtube and feeds some French people!

This poses several questions !!!! (for those who want to think; for those who feed on a "beautiful story", for the media on the lookout for a sensation, the second model is a blessing!)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 12:24

Doris wrote:.... I am trying to grow crops, which are difficult here, and effortless. For the first time I succeeded with the kohlrabi, the Brussels sprouts are magnificent, the celeriacs are getting bigger, the tomatoes this year is a bit of work, laziness is on the side of the cabbage, turnip and celery.

It's very simple: "nothing is ever perfect". So "nothing is ever all rotten!" (it is, in mathematics, a corollary).

And so these rains, catastrophic for our nightshades, are a blessing for other vegetables. Who usually "toast", from a lack of water, a lack of mineralization of the hay, excessive temperatures ... That consequently we say "difficult", because we "force" them to push under conditions that are not their ideal ...

You just have enough sensitivity not to complain. As do the French, who see ONLY black! You also see white. And suddenly, you are delighted ... You will have the leek of the first "free gardener" [In France, there is an honorary distinction from the Ministry of Agriculture which is called "Mérité Agricole", and that in colloquial terms, we call the "leek" - the small strip of fabric by which it is hung is striped dark green / light green: https://www.trophee-pas-cher.com/ordre- ... 2x31236142]
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 28/07/21, 12:53

did
The only "problem": one feeds 99,9% of French people (probably more!), The other goes in the media, on TV, on Youtube and feeds some French people!
it still is, as with cars (or any other innovative product) first reserved for a few and then spread to a larger population. but the bio only passes now (in recent years) after being vilified by the mainstream as it is said now!
Last edited by Janic the 28 / 07 / 21, 12: 56, 1 edited once.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré