Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Doris » 04/03/21, 08:09

After the Netherlands, Vendée with its colorful night sky to produce our vegetables cheaper, here cucumbers:
https://actu.fr/pays-de-la-loire/aizena ... 24482.html
It only remains to cultivate in there following the lunar calendar, and it will be perfect.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/03/21, 09:16

Doris wrote:After the Netherlands, Vendée with its colorful night sky to produce our vegetables cheaper, here cucumbers:
https://actu.fr/pays-de-la-loire/aizena ... 24482.html
It only remains to cultivate in there following the lunar calendar, and it will be perfect.

There are areas near Nantes where this is already the case. It is daylight all the time.
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 04/03/21, 12:53

Doris wrote:
Boris70 wrote:I would add that the Moon has significant and observable physical effects: the tides. And what we forget because we do not realize it, there is also an earth tide. So there may be effects on living things?

For me the question is above all to know, if its effects are significant on the scale of a vegetable patch or a field? At the ocean, the tide is observable even with relatively small coefficients. In the pond immediately behind the dunes you do not see any difference, the bodies of water involved being much smaller. The amplitude of the terrestrial tides, which you evoke, is measured by satellite. So personally what I'm questioning is that it could have a significant and interesting effect for us on the scale of a garden, or a carrot, or a potato plant. Last year I did a lot of duplicate cultures, with and against the moon. Well, when I noticed the differences, I knew the reasons: temperature difference, rainfall, brightness, etc.

So I understand why all my radishes have bloomed: I sowed flowers one day ... This year I will sow roots one day : Mrgreen:
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 04/03/21, 13:27

stephgouv wrote:So I understand why all my radishes have bloomed: I sowed flowers one day ... This year I will sow roots one day : Mrgreen:

On the other hand, if you plan to make soup with radish tops, you will have to sow part of your seeds in leaf day, you just have to do half and half : Mrgreen:
0 x
Edmond Rostand
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 04/03/21, 14:37

Obelix must say to himself: "these lazy people are crazy!" : Mrgreen:
1 x
Yool
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Yool » 04/03/21, 16:03

Small practical question!

My municipality provided us with shredded material from green spaces.
I would say there is a strong dominance of thuja and a few other species. I think the subject has already been touched on more than once but it is still not clear in my head.

How would you use it in the vegetable garden? I started to spread it on my strawberries, currants, blackcurrants, raspberries ... because I know that they are undergrowth plants and that they will appreciate this kind of material.
For the rest of the vegetable garden, I thought to put a thin layer and combine it with mowing and hay, because I am always a little afraid of nitrogen hunger in the 6 months after spreading. And then there are always these stories of acidification of the soil and / or toxicity that we find everywhere even if I do not believe it too much.

Otherwise I tell myself that at the beginning of next fall, I could spread more in order to increase the OM rate and create more stable humus.
0 x
Boris70
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Boris70 » 04/03/21, 17:24

yool wrote:Small practical question!

I would say there is a strong dominance of thuja and a few other species. I think the subject has already been touched on more than once but it is still not clear in my head.

How would you use it in the vegetable garden? I started to spread it on my strawberries, currants, blackcurrants, raspberries ... because I know that they are undergrowth plants and that they will appreciate this kind of material.
For the rest of the vegetable garden, I thought to put a thin layer and combine it with mowing and hay, because I am always a little afraid of nitrogen hunger in the 6 months after spreading. And then there are always these stories of acidification of the soil and / or toxicity that we find everywhere even if I do not believe it too much.

Otherwise I tell myself that at the beginning of next fall, I could spread more in order to increase the OM rate and create more stable humus.

This year I am using semi-decomposed wood shred (mixture of hardwood and softwood) as the main cover.
The tests of François Mulet show that the nitrogen hunger appears when one mixes the shredded wood with the earth but not when it is placed on the ground.
Green waste from individuals (yew, cherry laurel, troëne, ...), therefore full of toxic things, is used by composting platforms to make commercial potting soil, so don't worry, all of this is broken down. Are you worried about potato tops filled with solanine?
0 x
Recharge your batteries in sacred places http://www.lokahita.fr
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 04/03/21, 20:17

Obviously, if the shredded material is mostly coniferous, it is fairly average. For my part, I would be more tempted to practice a semi-composting in heaps, in the style "Jean Pain"before using it ...
The remark of F. Mullet is certainly justified because when the ground material remains on the surface, the volume attacked is lower and everything happens more slowly, which necessarily distributes the nitrogen consumption and therefore arranges things well.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Boris70
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Boris70 » 04/03/21, 22:25

Ahmed wrote:Obviously, if the shredded material is mostly coniferous, it is fairly average. For my part, I would be more tempted to practice a semi-composting in heaps, in the style "Jean Pain"before using it ...
The remark of F. Mullet is certainly justified because when the ground material remains on the surface, the volume attacked is lower and everything happens more slowly, which necessarily distributes the nitrogen consumption and therefore arranges things well.

If the ground material is buried, the micro-organisms will be used in the nitrogen of the soil whereas if it is on the surface it assumes that the non-symbiotic bacteria fixing atmospheric nitrogen act because in the analyzes, it finds more nitrogen in the composted ground material than in the fresh ground material. All the more reason to be lazy!
0 x
Recharge your batteries in sacred places http://www.lokahita.fr
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 05/03/21, 07:39

yool wrote:Small practical question!

Personally, I avoid ground thuja in the vegetable garden (avoiding here does not mean that I am against it), for two reasons: it takes a long time to decompose, once there was a little thuja mixed with it. my eléagnus mash, I still found cedar green in the bed for a long time. The woods decompose very slowly, even when crushed, isn't there a fungicidal effect in cedar essences? Secondly, where I put it, there is no longer any grass that grows, without wanting to embark on any reflections of possible toxicology, but in the vegetable garden this is not my goal. And I even have a third more personal reason: thuja being allergenic, even months later I cannot put my hands (without gloves) without having hives, so I am not a "fan".
0 x
Edmond Rostand