Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by sicetaitsimple » 24/02/20, 15:08

Moindreffor wrote:absolutely, I have a salary, but it was the starting deal ... j

It's not necessarily the argument that will convince me, but hey, stop the fire.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/02/20, 15:26

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:absolutely, I have a salary, but it was the starting deal ... j

It's not necessarily the argument that will convince me, but hey, stop the fire.

yes, there is no harm, sorry for this remark which actually did not enter into the subject of the transplant,
and especially that those who are interested do not hesitate all the free videos and there are some very very well made and very interesting
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/02/20, 15:27

sicetaitsimple wrote:In case, but I have never practiced, it is without guarantee!

to watch with interest, and character to follow it's worth the detour, he is inspiring
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 24/02/20, 15:34

This extract from an article in the newspaper Le Monde about the tomato virus:

"It was observed for the first time, in Israel, in 2014, then was found, in 2018, in Mexico, the United States, Germany and Italy. The French sector began to worry when it hit the United Kingdom and the Netherlands in 2019. Places where many plants imported into France are produced, whether for professional crops or for private gardens.

The Health Security Agency sounded the alarm on February 4, a few days before the announcement of the first case identified in France. She also underlined the risk of propagation by amateur gardeners and the likelihood of other cases in France. The entire sector is mobilized by strengthening crop protection measures. The stakes are high, because 712 tonnes of tomatoes were produced in France in 000 "

Note:

- imported plants "for professional crops or for private gardens."
- "the risk of propagation by amateur gardeners"

Morality: produce your plants yourself!
1 x
rheum
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by rheum » 24/02/20, 19:16

Did67 wrote:This extract from an article in the newspaper Le Monde about the tomato virus:

"It was observed for the first time, in Israel, in 2014, then was found, in 2018, in Mexico, the United States, Germany and Italy. The French sector began to worry when it hit the United Kingdom and the Netherlands in 2019. Places where many plants imported into France are produced, whether for professional crops or for private gardens.

The Health Security Agency sounded the alarm on February 4, a few days before the announcement of the first case identified in France. She also underlined the risk of propagation by amateur gardeners and the likelihood of other cases in France. The entire sector is mobilized by strengthening crop protection measures. The stakes are high, because 712 tonnes of tomatoes were produced in France in 000 "

Note:

- imported plants "for professional crops or for private gardens."
- "the risk of propagation by amateur gardeners"

Morality: produce your plants yourself!

Bonjour,

I am new to this forum , and I grow a dozen varieties of tomato in my garden each year, making my plants from the seeds harvested each year.
Compared to the problem of this tomato virus (and it is not the first for a century!), Yes it is better to produce its plants itself, but be careful with the origin of the seeds if you buy the seeds for a first tomato crop or to introduce a new reproducible variety at home. Be certain that the seeds were produced in an uncontaminated region, that is to say in France as long as done (the first case of the new tomato virus in France is located in northern Finistère)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/02/20, 19:39

So far, the virus has grown in production greenhouses. In these places, seeds are never produced.

The production of commercial seeds follows a completely different route. And the professionals have separate circuits: who knows "De Ruiter" or "Voltz", etc ... Even if some brands play on both counts: professionals and individuals ...

Alas, we cannot totally exclude that at the start, it comes from the same multipliers (even if commercial greenhouses - even organic - essentially use the latest hybrids arrived on the market; generally not available for individuals). There are therefore again different pathways.

The risk seems extremely low to me. At least for now. If it becomes widespread, it will be another story.

Here is what we can read on the site of "the good seed":

"Many of you are worried about this new virus on tomatoes, ToBRFV, which would decimate farms in the Middle East and which would be preparing to invade Europe, France, the world of course!

Faced with the media frenzy and the numerous questions that this poses, it seemed important to us to answer you a few points.

Is this virus dangerous?

For humans, no. The virus makes the tomato non-marketable because it distorts the fruit and prevents it from ripening, but it has no impact on humans.

It is dangerous economically for large greenhouse operations whose production could be devastated very quickly.

As an individual, am I concerned?

Not really, even if that doesn't prevent vigilance.
In France, there is only one farm in Finistère to be affected to date. The risk of spread is minimal for amateurs who only cultivate a few plants scattered in their garden. If this should be the case, although it can be annoying for your home, all you have to do is burn the plants, disinfect the soil and carry out crop rotations.

You are much more likely to catch mildew on your tomatoes!

Is there a risk with seeds from La Bonne Graine?

The virus could be carried by seeds (but not only!) And that is why you are legitimately worried.

Regarding our seeds, please know that we are subject to strict regulations that we scrupulously respect and our seeds have a European phytosanitary passport. All of our products are controlled by the competent authorities (SOC, GNIS) and our seeds, although intended for the amateur market, all come from the professional sector, which ensures us traceability, they are not the fruit of a small production "at the bottom of the garden" such as you might find on certain Internet sites.

We mainly produce in France, not in Israel or the Middle East (home of the infestation) and, although we cannot 100% guarantee the absence of risks, our seeds are safe.

The risks of viruses have always existed and panic or catastrophism have never been the adequate response. Like the flu, setting up preventive actions is the best solution to minimize the risks: buy your seeds from recognized players (of which we are part), set up crop rotations, have good cultural practices by promoting the life of the soil against chemical fertilizers and you will be putting the odds in your favor. "

It is rather honest, even if the "mainly" in France, poiur their place of production, is vague ... Likewise the argument of "strict compliance with regulations". No one will doubt that the seeds and plants used by the infested producer (a member of the Savéol cooperative) did just as much - respect the standards and regulations! A priori, it came from the Netherlands via England. As probably many plants that we buy in garden centers ... So yes, producing plants considerably reduces the risk. From its seeds even more ... On the other hand, the exchange of seeds without control, without respect for standards, could become risky, as well as "plant fairs" (not for the moment, but it could become foci of dissemination if the virus leaves the current highly controlled framework).
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/02/20, 20:58

silly question, sometimes to save seeds we freeze them, does this have an impact on the virus?
0 x
(of me)
rheum
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by rheum » 25/02/20, 07:42

Bonjour,

Some varieties cultivated by professionals, among other organic producers, are available for individuals, one of the best known is the hybrid variety Paola (therefore not reproducible for an individual) of which I have seen packets of seeds for sale in garden centers.
The most worrying for an individual is the purchase of plants in a garden center, whose origin is not necessarily known. Plants can come from, for example, the Netherlands and this is often the case, country concerned by this virus: A neighbor bought a tray of six plants last year, with 6 different varieties whose origin was the Netherlands ( indication of source on the tray), on sale in a discount store
Freezing seeds has no effect on the virus (viruses are kept cold in the laboratory)
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 25/02/20, 07:52

According to the information of a chamber of agriculture in Germany no, no treatment or weak point (temperature, humidity ....) known, only thing: so far no confirmed diffuse contamination by air.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 25/02/20, 08:37

The concerned sorts mentioned in the same source: Romanella, Juanita, and several cherry tomatoes
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand