social cost of cigarettes: € 13 the package ... and oil?

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Christophe

social cost of cigarettes: € 13 the package ... and oil?

by Christophe » 24/03/15, 11:29

A study published yesterday http://www.lesechos.fr/economie-france/ ... 104644.php indicates a medical and social cost of € 13 per pack of cigarettes ...

Either ... and the real cost of a barrel of oil or alcohol? Will they dare to calculate them?
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 12/04/15, 20:32

I retain from this article that the known and quantifiable direct benefits and costs show a gain of 1M €, or 0.38 € / package.
But hey, we can not say that, huh! So we are going to look for costs that are supposed to be indirect, inconceivable, and without asking whether there would not be gains of the same kind ...
For example, wouldn't smokers who died prematurely have sought medical care if they had lived longer and died of something else? What about the cost for companies of dragging on old managers who are holding back the necessary changes?

So this article seems to me to be biased, and I suspect that smokers deserve a medal from good taxpayers ... and I am a non-smoker;)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/04/15, 20:47

For example, wouldn't smokers who died prematurely have sought medical care if they had lived longer and died of something else?

Public health studies make it very clear that the last year of life is the most expensive in terms of medical care, regardless of the age of onset. So if one wants to indulge in this little game, necessarily indecent, of the costs or benefits of an early death, this argument is inadequate.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/04/15, 22:21

the solution is simple! euthanasia of the last year
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/04/15, 22:26

chatelot16 wrote:the solution is simple! euthanasia of the last year

The problem is to find out when this last year begins. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/04/15, 22:49

I talk about it all the more easily since I have never started smoking ... so not affected by this past year!

it reminds me of the years at school where it was fashionable to smoke to be like the big ... my father had explained to me that it was stupid enough to smoke ... also explained that it was stupid to do like the others like sheep

and the following year at school there were already some who said to me, you are lucky not to smoke ... addiction happens really quickly

so I understood: it is good not to be a sheep!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/04/15, 23:15

Flytox, you write:
The problem is to find out when this last year begins.

It's simple, it is determined retroactively in relation to the date of euthanasia! 8)
Chatelot, you write:
I talk about it all the more easily since I have never started smoking ... so not affected by this past year!

Smoker or not, everyone is affected by their last year! : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 13/04/15, 09:49

And I suppose it is the most expensive, smoker or not.
Sure that the medical profession will not push for euthanasia when we are at the end of the rope, that would be to reduce the cake
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/04/15, 10:43

The echoes said:

The "benefits" attributable to tobacco for the state budget are evaluated at 14 billion in taxes collected (including VAT) to which are added 6,6 billion in pension payments avoided due to the premature death of smokers.

creaky mode: ON

A quick analysis highlights that the ideal citizen, smoker and worker reports to the state; the ideal being that he dies just before the age of the pension.
A package / day, it will bring in 65000 euros more than an ordinary taxpayer.

An asshole who lives up to 80 years costs 200.000 euros in pension and will also generate medical costs to survive until then.

The question is how much do smokers' diseases cost, but let's not forget that they create jobs and that there is VAT on medicines.

So this simulation seems a little short to me.

And let's not forget that tobacco can tax the poor and the unemployed: almost 1500 euros / year!

Squeaky mode: OFF
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 13/04/15, 12:14

elephant wrote:... A package / day, it will bring in 65000 euros more than an ordinary taxpayer ....

At least. And I imagine that the cost of supply is not taken into account.

Not everyone has a tobacco shop next to their home. My smoking neighbors take their car and drive 2 * 1,5 km each day to buy their packets of cigarettes. At the office, I saw smokers drive up to 12 km AR each day. Make the count ...

Tobacco also brings in TIPP and enriches the automobile industry by billions.
0 x