What PV surface for the world's energy?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 16/09/15, 00:08

I resume this interesting subject here.

Maloche's post from a few years ago, which spoke of 40% future yield for the PV, is being achieved:

36% net taking into account the loss of the system, ... but C-PV therefore + 500% of photon collection !!! (And as I understand it.)

For me, it's: 46% gross yield pending a possible correction in case of misinterpretation (but I think we are there)

This is not a dream, it is happening before our eyes (I did not expect to see it during my lifetime ...)

Capt_Maloche wrote:
Obamot wrote: .... simply more profitable with the new ultra-high efficiency photovoltaic with 46% maximum efficiency ...! >>> and even 4x better in concentration (C-PV, well, that should interest Maloche ...)

46% ?? where? where?? Image

Ah, but it is not done, it is about the association of our CEA of Chambery and Grenoble with a German laboratory to create a "Virtual Lab" and to save time, as we did with the weapon nuclear

there is heavy under there :D

It is indeed the CEA, but I do not see why you say that it is not made Maloche? They have reached this threshold, but have steadily gained momentum in recent years. There it is "the last vintage". Where did I go wrong?

I publish another link:
http://www.sciencesetavenir.fr/high-tec ... laire.html

Source: sciencesetavenir.fr, Olivier Lascar Posted on 05-12-2014 at 09h00 wrote:46% of light converted into electricity, world record for a solar cell

This extreme solar collector was designed by the French and the Germans. It could be used in gigantic "solar farms" in regions enjoying a lot of sunshine.

NOT BETTER. Europe, world champion. The old continent confirms its first place in an enviable field, that of the conversion of light into electricity. The threshold was 44,7%, it has just risen to 46%. This rate was reached by a solar cell developed jointly by CEA-Leti, the French company Soitec (originally an emanation, precisely, from CEA) and the Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems (ISE) in Germany .

Semiconductors with better performance than silicon
Unlike these photovoltaic panels that cover the roofs of green houses, the solar cell of all records is not made of silicon. "We use other semiconductors, so-called III-V materials", comments Thomas Signamarcheix, head of the advanced substrates lab at CEA-Leti. Understand chemical elements classified in the 3rd and 5th columns of the Mendeleev periodic table. Their advantage:"They have a better yield than silicon", continues the French researcher.

"Junctions"
Thus, the solar collector having reached the conversion rate of 46% consists of a stack of several layers - or "junctions"- each of which reacts to light in a certain wavelength."Imagine green, red and blue Lego bricks. Our junctions are the same, each converting into electricity which green light, which red, which blue", continues Thomas Signamarcheix.

"Not a 5 legged sheep"

One question remains: will this record of 46% remain confined to the four walls of the laboratory? "No. Because the solar cell that produced this conversion rate is by no means a 5-legged sheep. On the contrary, it was manufactured using a technology - consisting of gluing the layers one on the other by molecular adhesion - perfectly mastered by the industry for 20 years, and in particular by the company Soitec, even if it was in the context of other applications".

"Solar farms"
The III-V semiconductor device must therefore be able to be used for example in "solar farms", these large solar power stations installed in regions which benefit from high direct sunlight. But the integration of these devices into concentrating photovoltaic (CPV) systems will nevertheless be accompanied by a loss in total efficiency, "hence the importance of quickly implementing these devices in pilot installations which will be the only way to validate this gain"specifies Thomas Signamarcheix.

Because the 46% cells will be encapsulated there, among other components, in concentrating photovoltaic systems (CPV) - for example lenses that concentrate sunlight, 508 times! "And there are inevitably losses at every level of CPV systems. Thus the modules consisting of the assembly of the devices with the lenses presently present at best an efficiency of 36,7% ", explains the CEA-Leti researcher. "Nevertheless, each electron gained by the conversion of the device will always represent a gain for these clean energy production systems.". Already a big step forward compared to 25% (at best) of good old silicon solar collectors.

So I don't know if you read like me, but yes it's already done, you were just five years ahead! And they are more than ten years ahead of the forecasts. It is surely due to the decisions to exit nuclear power in certain countries, there are things like that FINALLY coming out of the cupboards ...

Let us not forget that Solar Impulse II achieved its feat of crossing the Atlantic with an average yield of 12%! With such panels, they would probably have benefited from double that.

As long as we know that it is possible, and more than the theory, it only remains to wait for panels with similar yields to be made with common semiconductors and available in abundance!

And why not 3 layers of silicon (?) Sony filed a patent not that long ago (admittedly for CMOS photo sensors, but that is to say that it is feasible in the substrate and not only by sticking 3 layers together), it's in the pipes, I think ...

RTDC.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/09/15, 08:38

Of course the subject is interesting, Obamot. But, admit, it had nothing to do with a subject on Nickel Hydrogen ...

Don't you have some illustrations on the structure of these panels?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 16/09/15, 22:52

You will see other important developments during your lifetime :-)

A 2013 multilayer report https://www.see.asso.fr/file/5300/download/10348

With a table of the evolution of yields by technology

and a crobard of a multilayer system

18% for solar Impulse cells, right?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/09/15, 00:38

In my lifetime? Possible, like graphene super-hypercapa for example (?), In fact have they solved their dielectric problem or do they know how they intend to solve it?

Question yield: I had noted 21% for Solar Impulse II (in fact we know nothing about it ;-) that is more or less officially ...) the 12% is by counting the night cycle or they produce nothing in the daily average ...

Here is the Sony diagram for the capture of different photon wavelengths in the same substrate:

Source: Sony Patent # US2009 / 0303371A1 >>> luckily I kept the illustrations on my DD, because the link is dead ...

The principle of C-PV with 3 layers bonded, here by fresnel lenses:

Source: Solaraddedvalue.com

Source: greenrhinoenergy.com

Still, remember that these new technologies are particularly welcome, because with them a number of problems are solved:
- a belt of solar power stations is now profitable throughout southern Europe (Désertec I with thermodynamic solar power and the political stability expected in North Africa can wait ...);
- there will be less loss due to current transmission compared to Désertec I;
- as we have less need to go south, the yield will be better (too much Sun and too much heat would harm the yield, as paradoxical as it may seem ...)
- the reproach in relation to the modification of the albedo, falls in relation to Désertec (this reproach made me laugh at the all-out concreting, and the rest of the human footprint because totally disproportionate, but hey .. .);
- we also see the possibility of producing electricity in overcast weather;
- competitiveness with nuclear (which is still the winner in terms of load factor) is entering a decisive phase (once low-cost storage means have emerged from the labs, we will no longer need nuclear energy on a massive scale) of a power plant is around 25% permanently, with 46% gross and 1 kW·/ m² (on average sunshine of ~ 2 hours per year, or 000 / 1 = 300W as average solar power per square meter.)
- the totally autonomous production of electrical energy by individuals, begins to have a serious basis with less large surfaces needed, this is becoming more and more interesting;
- such performance will fully justify the design of hybrid panels (infrared / photovoltaic);

There is not much missing, just hold a few days with phase shift storage solutions and ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/15, 00:48

Obamot wrote:Here is the Sony diagram for the capture of different photon wavelengths in the same substrate:

I understand NOTHING but absolutely NOTHING! :D
Uh with the legend it might be a little better ...

But it is the first time that I see colors in a diagram which strongly resembles that of a patent of invention! : Cheesy:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/09/15, 05:11

... yes okay, sorry, it was clear to me, I had studied this at length.

If you want, the photons of each waveband (RGB) do not travel at the same speed. It is thanks to this phenomenon that they had the idea to say that they could use it to capture them at different "stages" in the substrate because of their speed differential ....
Thus, if we take the example of CCD photographic sensors, these seeing in B / W, we can imagine that the yield was less good (+ losses due to the Bayer matrix)

We can deduce (it must be about that ...) that as soon as the photons are selected by their intrinsic speed, they are trapped in the thickness of the substrate in kinds of "quantum wells" and ultimately when counting , there must be a lot less lost.

In CEA C-PV, the substrate layers are glued on top of each other. In the above patent, it's just their speed that selects them (that corrects me if I'm wrong, but that's what makes me say that there must still be potential in the good old silicon if treated accordingly)

I make an attempt at an explanation which is worth what it is worth. A sensor is a bucket and in the bucket, instead of water there are photons and then electrons. When the bucket is too full it overflows: CCDs had a better quantum yield (between 40 and 60%) than CMOS (20%), but CMOS could retain much more electrons (150 against 000 for a CCD) the bucket was larger. But in both cases, the photons were not differentiated whereas now, with these multilayer technologies, there will no longer be any overflow of photons from the wells (or something) since now we have 30 buckets instead of one and in the end it should be noted that the performances (capacities) have doubled! With backilluminated, they even went up to 000% (but there they are photographic sensors ...)

That's roughly what is going on (or at least what I have captured.) : Mrgreen:

For the color on the sketch, yes you have the eye, it's me who added them for a better understanding :?

For your MP, thank you very much, give me time to think about it.

RTDC.
0 x