12-230 reliable V converter?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

12-230 reliable V converter?

by elephant » 07/10/14, 16:22

Dear friends, I appeal to your experiences.

I am looking for a 12 V DC-230 V converter (so far, nothing extraordinary, you will tell me)

- compact
- without fan
- low power (25 VA will be more than enough)
- INDISCUTABLY RELIABLE!

It will have to permanently supply an alarm system installed on a boat, therefore operating 24 hours a day, 24 days a year. It will be placed, with the alarm center in an IP365 box that I will choose not too small, of course.

Why don't you supply it with 12 V directly, you will tell me?

Quite simply because the alarm systems approved in Belgium are by law designed not to be armed if the 230 V is absent (to prevent a distracted person from condemning his system to be out after 24 or 48 hours, because it cut the power before going on vacation)

The last time I tried to do this, despite the modest consumption, the contraption died after 2 days. For 34 euros, there is no miracle you will tell me ....

The price is secondary

Thank you for your opinions.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: reliable 12-230 V converter?

by dirk pitt » 07/10/14, 17:55

elephant wrote:Why don't you supply it with 12 V directly, you will tell me?

Quite simply because the alarm systems approved in Belgium are by law designed not to be armed if the 230 V is absent (to prevent a distracted person from condemning his system to be out after 24 or 48 hours, because it cut the power before going on vacation)

it's practical, the thieves just have to cut the juice and it deactivates the alarm ??????? or there is something that I did not understand. :?: :?:
0 x
Click my signature
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 08/10/14, 08:42

It would be too easy indeed.

The systems are active 24 hours a day. the processor is running all the time and there is an armed or disarmed instruction. A lead-acid battery in permanent charge is placed as a buffer and takes over from the slightest mains failure.
It is because this way it is too "easy" not to notice a mains failure JUST BEFORE ARMING (experience has shown) that the systems refuse to arm if the sector is not present at this time.
If the mains failure occurs during the arming period, the system will continue to operate and remain armed. Eventually, he reports the power failure by telephone.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 08/10/14, 11:13

OK, that's a game-changer.
you need 230V 50Hz to arm the device and then you can stop your converter, the system running anyway from battery on your boat. in this way the converter is very little used and it does not need to be of exceptional quality.
Before leaving, you turn on the converter, you arm, you stop the converter and you leave.
the alarm lives its life on the battery which is I suppose kept charged by PV and / or wind turbine.
0 x

Click my signature
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 08/10/14, 11:41

How about a tiny inverter?

Because in this case, it itself has a battery that will extend the security of electricity supply.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/10/14, 12:36

But if I understand correctly, elephant wants to circumvent Belgian legislation via this assembly?

Am I wrong? : Cheesy:

Yes a stupid little inverter (PC type) seems best to me ... and 2 batteries is always better than one ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 08/10/14, 18:38

Thank you for your opinions.

1) The backup battery life of the system is insufficient. (52 hours, we must last at least a week)

2) the goal is not to circumvent the law, but there is no question of bringing 230V network in a .... sailboat moored to a dead body.

3) Computer inverters have too little battery capacity and are too bulky. No question of disassembling them either to keep the warranty. In addition, many have a time limiter. In the solution I chose, we put everything in an IP 65 box, not too small (plastic because of the GSM transmitter) and basta!

4) the simpler it is for the user, the happier we will be: the installation will be remotely controlled by GSM or SMS. (which excludes putting the "big" power station, equipped with a 17 A / h battery that would be fed "just for arming" with a Prisunic converter.

One solution would consist in supplying the control unit downstream from the rectifier with 12 V DC to deceive the detection of a mains failure. But then, we lose the warranty on the plant, because we have to go soldering on a CMS / SMC card, which leaves traces!

As an option, I will propose to equip the boat with a small PV panel to recharge the large battery.

Last detail for those who did not understand:

the installation will therefore consist of:

1) of the big battery of the boat

2) a 12 VDC 230 V AC converter

3) an alarm center with its GSM transmitter

4) the 2,6 A / h lead-acid backup battery of the control unit (regularly tested by the system)

5) a siren designed for humid environments

6) and sealed contacts

the elements 2,3,4 contained in an IP65 box
0 x