Low temperature geothermal thermoelectricity isolated site

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
Gastonn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gastonn » 17/09/14, 17:14

would anyone know how to calculate the thermal power of a drill 20 cm to 200 ml deep at a temperature of 20 degrees?
please
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 17/09/14, 17:49

gastonn wrote:would anyone know how to calculate the thermal power of a drill 20 cm to 200 ml deep at a temperature of 20 degrees?
please
We can already calculate the volume of water.

The heat capacity of the water is about 4185 J / kg.K
One kilogram (about one liter) of water from 20 5 ° ° to (a difference of 15 °) therefore can fournir15 * 4185 62775 J = J or 17Wh.

If you want 20 kW of thermal power, you need 20000 / 17 = 1176 liters of water per hour or almost 20 liters per minute.

After all depends on the renewal of the water at the bottom of the borehole (if we reinject the cold water, how long does it warm up?) ...

But before all that, we should find an effective way to use such a low temperature delta :|
0 x
Gastonn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gastonn » 17/09/14, 20:03

merci beaucoup

your calculation is really interesting, it allows me to imagine the traffic it takes in my loop: 20 l / minute is about half the flow of a sink faucet

I'm also trying to calculate the thermal power of my drilling so as not to exhaust it
if anyone can help me ...
please
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/09/14, 04:02

gastonn wrote:would anyone know how to calculate the thermal power of a drill 20 cm to 200 ml deep at a temperature of 20 degrees?
please

Oh no I do not think according to the data above, to -200m should find 14 ° C not more (unless you have the chance of getting a water table or something but this would be the lottery of 'Euro million)

However, drilling with a non-passive house is not very interesting! Start by tackling the house before, to see how far you can go too far, then only evaluate the heating needs (after putting the house under pressure) ...

If you end up at home, you may end up with a surplus you will not know what to do, but it's just my humble opinion! We still do not know where she is this house? Pictures? What is the orientation of the roof? What would be the useful surface? What type of sensors would you have chosen? Etc.
0 x
Gastonn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gastonn » 18/09/14, 12:41

I think I can drill a little deeper if necessary (300m +) and am in a region with good thermal gradient, I should easily be at 18 degrees (I would be in the Alsace region)
the premises will be perfectly isolated and orientated 3 / 4 south.

for my activity, I would have any need of electricity, so I must continue to evaluate the possibility of a thermogeneration

So even at 14 degrees, how is the thermal power of my borehole calculated?

please
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 18/09/14, 14:36

gastonn wrote:for my activity, I would have any need of electricity, so I must continue to evaluate the possibility of a thermogeneration
Before calculating a power, it is necessary to check whether the electricity production is possible.

Personally, with such a low temperature delta, I think not :|
0 x
Gastonn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gastonn » 18/09/14, 15:12

if it is (I have experienced) but a fairly low yield (approx 1 or 2%)
dcsn even plans to do it on identical delta for power plants and
otherwise I would go deeper precisely according to the thermal power of my borehole

can anyone tell me how to calculate the thermal power of a borehole?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/09/14, 19:46

That's a pretty good sign, do this insulation work and we'll talk about it again, because there, I would be bothered to make "predictions".

It is an extremely sharp sector, it is not invented!

By the way, it seems from the description (but maybe I'm wrong) that the construction is quite large in area, since you intend to develop a PMI or something there ... why not then turn to hybrid thermal + photovoltaic panels as presented in one of the links above and developed by the EPFZ ?! There are even glasses that make solar panels (see the new EPFL Convention-Center with its "photovoltaic glazing")
http://actu.epfl.ch/news/un-vitrage-pho ... le-sur-le/

Gaston wrote:
gastonn wrote:for my activity, I would have any need of electricity, so I must continue to evaluate the possibility of a thermogeneration
Before calculating a power, it is necessary to check whether the electricity production is possible.

Personally, with such a low temperature delta, I think not :|

I can feel the use of a PAC, used intensively, and therefore with a large maintenance cost in perspective in addition to the depreciation of a borehole! If so, I see several holes and not one with such a gradient. This is likely to blow costs.

Totally agree that there, it would be a little put the cart before the horse.
0 x
Gastonn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gastonn » 18/09/14, 20:19

how to say ...
I must not have explained myself well:
I am isolated site (it's in the title) so no pac except to feed solar that I do not want my electricity need at times or may be sunny.
"the boreholes can be numerous (10,20 or more)" as already said above.
"Do this insulation work and we'll talk about it again", thank you for the advice, but on the one hand I'm a big boy and on the other hand this kind of project is conceived in its entirety and not as it goes.

my request is simple: I want to see if it is possible to thermo-generate from many boreholes (and maybe not), and if necessary have the concrete information that demonstrate it.

I specify that the premises are large and not for one pmi.

however, my request is not completely idiotic, the etm plants that operate on this principle with much lower yields and very strong constraints due to the maritime environment are an example (among others)

so to start:
Is there a doctor in the room who could give me the thermal power of a basement at a temperature of 18 degree or an idea of ​​his calculation?
please
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/09/14, 23:44

Thermal power? Or thermal power converted into electricity?

In the second case, one can reason in the unit of comparison value which are PET. 1 MWh = 0,860 PET, yes but it is for thedeep geothermal energy: battery yield, it would make 1 / 10 according to some sources,

In average depth, it will have 3 PET primary energy for 1 PET recovered actual energy (loss of 2 / 3), we pass to 1 / 30ème if indeed to be achievable (CAP is 1 / 3 2 / 3, it remains consistent on paper, although I voluntarily draws a caricature, if you consider that your deposit behaved as a CABG).

If the 4000l pifometer of fuel oil / year would heat the building in question, and that drilling would be able to replace this oil. So we could extrapolate saying that the drilling would require a production of 45 000 kWh. That's the order of magnitude, but I can not guarantee it! It's a lot of holes to break through to get there Image while in direct use, without conversion, it is playable (but only to heat the house, should still not ask too much ...)

gastonn wrote:how to say ...
I must not have explained myself well:
I am isolated site (it's in the title) so no pac except to feed solar that I do not want my electricity need at times or may be sunny.

Sorry, I did not get it! Ok I understand better.

For drilling, must see! It could be a "standalone installation pilot experiment" as I understand it. If I had such a case to solve, I would contact one of these technological centers, to ask their opinion and if such a project would interest them ...

gastonn wrote:
Obamot wrote:"do this insulation work and we'll talk about it"
thank you for the advice, but on the one hand I am a big boy and on the other hand this kind of project is conceived as a whole and not as and when.
Well, there is nothing negative here. It is that we lack element. Insulating buildings to "passivate" them has become high-tech.

gastonn wrote:my request is simple: I want to see if it is possible to thermo-generate from many boreholes (and maybe not), and if necessary have the concrete information that demonstrate it.

If at all possible, it is not "us" who decide on the solutions to be implemented, but the constraints imposed on us! Whereas here we have the impression that the initial idea seemed to be drilling as a central idea, and that we then seek to justify that as a "solution" (hence my remark " tense "lol).

Your request is far from being stupid, but we must see which is the best combination which applies to this precise case, quite independently of what would be chosen in fine as the "optimum" solution.

I remain convinced that a geothermal field at medium depth should be used at best only for what it has to offer: the heating of the building (this is where the yields would be the best, and without there being need to calculate it, this is basic logic, unless you have a documented example where what you are proposing has been implemented successfully, but I don't know about it), maybe you also need to ask that to a geologist who has done civil engineering? He will immediately see the feasibility. Because we already have "usable limit" temperatures there, which if we add the loss due to the conversion (thermal => electric) would give peanut (amha.)

Otherwise, you will have to consider the only other reasonable way to get power, PV and batteries (and IMHO). Today, with LED lighting and low-power devices, it's quite playable.

On the other hand there is a system that has not been approached and that would suit perfectly if you have the wooded area around, it would be cogeneration ...!

The principle of a CCF installation is simple: the wood in the form of self-made pellets (or oil or gas) is burned in a boiler that is coupled to a generator. The machine's cooling water heat and exhaust fumes are used to heat the house and the electrical energy produced feeds the house, the surplus is stored in batteries (or sent into the network):

http://www.sps.ch/fr/articles/articles_ ... en_suisse/
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."